Alaskan Sheep Hunt Pack List. 14 days, self supported.

MooreAK

FNG
Classified Approved
Ammo: I've seen situations where more ammo than expected was needed when engaging a ram, due to wind. After someone has spent 10 days plus deep in the Alaska backcountry with numerous bears, while being solo, you can make the call wether a handful of bullets are all thats needed. Say you use a few on a ram (All of mine have been one shot kills, minus 1), a few to scare off a curious grizzly, your up to 6 rounds already. Then the possibility of a DLP situation. A friend was in this area a couple years ago. While he was paddling in a shallow river, a grizzly charged into the water after him. It turned out to be a bluff, but nevertheless. I normally bring 12. 18 may be overkill.

Crocs, or an equivalent, can be excellent for river crossings or packrafting, if you use a lacing method with a length of string. Any hunt in Alaska your boots are going to get wet, but atleast using Crocs, you can mitigate it somewhat.

The BRS, or any lightweight canister stove, is inefficient in the wind, hence the modified jetboil cup described above. Get those arms up inside a heat exchanger and you dont give up anything to a heavy, overbuilt, Jetboil or MSR.
Care to share the lacing method your using with crocs? Haven’t heard of anyone doing this.

Are you a cold sleeper? Just wondering because pretty much everything on your kit is UL but you elected for the Xtherm?

Not knowing anything about where you're going other than Class 2 water, I'd consider removing the spray skirt and thigh straps (assuming they are removable). My Alpacka Caribou is about as bare bones as it gets and I've been quite surprised at how well it runs Class 3+ water.

I did all kinds of messing about with the fuel efficiency of the BRS compared to my Soto Windmaster and ultimately went for the Soto. But I'm hunting at 12k feet where it's windy as shit

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Are you a cold sleeper? Just wondering because pretty much everything on your kit is UL but you elected for the Xtherm?
I will be curious to see his answer. To me, the Xtherm is the perfect combination of durability, comfort, and weight.

The NeoAir is not much lighter, but is noisier and slightly less durable.

The Uberlite is probably not warm enough (I have not tried it), and is reported to be much less durable.

I have not looked very hard, but other brands appear on par or worse than the Thermarest options.

To me, sleep (particularly on multi-day trips) is one area where I think saving weight can quickly cost more in performance than is gained from the weight savings.

The boots are heavy, but looking at the rest of the list, I'm sure there is a reason for that. I'm glad to have 53 ounce mountaineering boots that work well for me though or 26 ounce approach shoes depending on the area.

To me, sleep (particularly on multi-day trips) is one area where I think saving weight can quickly cost more in performance than is gained from the weight savings.

Yeah, good sleep is critically important for immune health, mental health, and physical performance. One of the reasons why I run with that Thermarest Base Camp pad and the synthetic Marmot 20 degree sleeping bag for 80% of my hunting.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK

Not knowing anything about where you're going other than Class 2 water, I'd consider removing the spray skirt and thigh straps (assuming they are removable). My Alpacka Caribou is about as bare bones as it gets and I've been quite surprised at how well it runs Class 3+ water.

I did all kinds of messing about with the fuel efficiency of the BRS compared to my Soto Windmaster and ultimately went for the Soto. But I'm hunting at 12k feet where it's windy as shit

I normally run quilts, hence the Xtherm. I’ll continue to use them in the future as well. The Feathered Friends bag is new, this will be the first time using it. The xtherm is so comfortable, warm and durable, that I don’t see the benefit of dropping 3 oz or whatever the Xlite would offer.

I have two whitewater packrafts that don’t have removable decks, but the skirt could be left behind. I didn’t think of that. That’s one of those things that you might not miss at all… or wish so much that you did! I’m so used to thigh steps, it would be hard to go without, but possible. There are some class 3 sections that could get a bit spicy if the levels rise on the paddle out.

I may try my Soto again compared to the BRS, but like I said a couple times, when used with the heat exchanger cup, it’s pretty damn efficient.

The Hanwag boots walk lighter than the weight would indicate. And again, I mostly hunt solo and come out with 120+ Lbs. I won’t compromise on the support and stability they offer. They are only a couple ounces heavier than the excellent Crispi Briksdal SF, while offering better construction, more lateral stability and even better heavy load support.

2ee8a97fa0125ce1ae881cc26a0bf7cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep, weight is not the ultimate monkey (as much as I like obsessing over how to get things lighter). Overall, my kit has gotten lighter this summer, but some items have gotten heavier.

It is always nice to look at a carefully curated gear list to inspire questions regarding my own selections, both on how to get lighter and if I have gone too far.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Yep, weight is not the ultimate monkey (as much as I like obsessing over how to get things lighter). Overall, my kit has gotten lighter this summer, but some items have gotten heavier.

It is always nice to look at a carefully curated gear list to inspire questions regarding my own selections, both on how to get lighter and if I have gone too far.

Absolutely, which is why I shared it. The list is not set in stone either, I’m constantly making adjustments and refinements. Sometimes it’s new gear that is just released and other times it’s adjusting to the forecasted weather. I enjoy nerding out over this stuff, but it’s still just a small part of what goes into the hunt, behind training, research, mindset & more.

The Hanwag boots walk lighter than the weight would indicate. And again, I mostly hunt solo and come out with 120+ Lbs. I won’t compromise on the support and stability they offer. They are only a couple ounces heavier than the excellent Crispi Briksdal SF, while offering better construction, more lateral stability and even better heavy load support.
BLASPHEMY!

Best of luck on your hunt and thanks for sharing! Rooting for everyone chasing white sheep this year and excited to see pictures start rolling in in a few short weeks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I normally run quilts, hence the Xtherm. I’ll continue to use them in the future as well. The Feathered Friends bag is new, this will be the first time using it. The xtherm is so comfortable, warm and durable, that I don’t see the benefit of dropping 3 oz or whatever the Xlite would offer.

I have two whitewater packrafts that don’t have removable decks, but the skirt could be left behind. I didn’t think of that. That’s one of those things that you might not miss at all… or wish so much that you did! I’m so used to thigh steps, it would be hard to go without, but possible. There are some class 3 sections that could get a bit spicy if the levels rise on the paddle out.

I may try my Soto again compared to the BRS, but like I said a couple times, when used with the heat exchanger cup, it’s pretty damn efficient.

2ee8a97fa0125ce1ae881cc26a0bf7cd.jpg

Thanks for bringing those to my attention, I’ve been finding g my birksdall SFs lacking lately. They seem great when they are new but mine seem to have lost the stiffness and support I want.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Thanks for bringing those to my attention, I’ve been finding g my birksdall SFs lacking lately. They seem great when they are new but mine seem to have lost the stiffness and support I want.
Yes, I felt the same way about my two pairs of Briksdal SF's as well. However I just had both of my new Hanwags leak while on a fairly wet hike. They have less than 50 miles on them and look new. I'm in communication with Hanwag now, but I doubt I will have anything resolved before I leave for my first sheep hunt. They are leaking at the stitching on either side of the lower tongue area. It seems that they stitched right through the Gore Tex lining, by the amount that they were leaking in some shallow streams and wet grass.
Besides this fairly serious issue, they have been great.

IMG_1011.JPG

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yes, I felt the same way about my two pairs of Briksdal SF's as well. However I just had both of my new Hanwags leak while on a fairly wet hike. They have less than 50 miles on them and look new. I'm in communication with Hanwag now, but I doubt I will have anything resolved before I leave for my first sheep hunt. They are leaking at the stitching on either side of the lower tongue area. It seems that they stitched right through the Gore Tex lining, by the amount that they were leaking in some shallow streams and wet grass.
Besides this fairly serious issue, they have been great.

View attachment 431056
That sucks, hopefully it gets sorted out and dosent cause any major issues on your hunt. I’ve been breaking in a pair of zamberlan mountain treks and so far they seem great. Im headed out for goat in about 8 days so I’ll have a better idea after that but so far, the mountain treks are nice.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
That sucks, hopefully it gets sorted out and dosent cause any major issues on your hunt. I’ve been breaking in a pair of zamberlan mountain treks and so far they seem great. Im headed out for goat in about 8 days so I’ll have a better idea after that but so far, the mountain treks are nice.
Well I received a final response. I have 60 days to send the boots in for a replacement, but nothing before I head out for sheep. I figure I will use some Aquaseal on the stitches where the leaks are, as well as treating the leather with a conditioner.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Well I received a final response. I have 60 days to send the boots in for a replacement, but nothing before I head out for sheep. I figure I will use some Aquaseal on the stitches where the leaks are, as well as treating the leather with a conditioner.
That’s too bad. Hopefully they will replace them or something even after you apply the leather conditioner and aqua seal. I’ve put about 25 miles on my zamberlan mountain treks and hopefully get another 25 on them by the time goat opens on the first of next month.

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
For a ball cap, check out the Outdoor Research Swift ball cap. Just picked one up; light, and quick drying while protective.

AKjon

FNG
That’s way too much ammo to carry. You need 5 rounds max in my opinion. You are shooting a sheep. Not going to war with the sheep.

Goretex boots will be a disadvantage in august. It’s a good way to get stinky trench foot and blisters when your boots get wet from boggy ground or sweat and never dry because it’s goretex.

I would bring breathable, quick drying footwear and probably leave the crocks. Just cross rivers in my hiking footwear.

Crocks suck for crossing rivers.

We found that the BRS eats through fuel and is not the best in the wind. Some of the MSR stoves might do better.

Other choices are really good in my opinion. Solid choices in shelter and clothing.
I carry 3 in the rifle and an extra 10 rounds in my hip pouch. worth the piece of mind in my opinion.

Took Crocs on my first hunt on the advice of a buddy, and I'll never not take them. Worth every ounce to slip the boots off after a full day of hiking with a heavy pack and let the feet breath in some comfy camp shoes. I just want to know where you got a pair that only weighs 8oz?? mine weigh 15oz

That’s way too much ammo to carry. You need 5 rounds max in my opinion. You are shooting a sheep. Not going to war with the sheep.

Goretex boots will be a disadvantage in august. It’s a good way to get stinky trench foot and blisters when your boots get wet from boggy ground or sweat and never dry because it’s goretex.

I would bring breathable, quick drying footwear and probably leave the crocks. Just cross rivers in my hiking footwear.

Crocks suck for crossing rivers.

We found that the BRS eats through fuel and is not the best in the wind. Some of the MSR stoves might do better.

Other choices are really good in my opinion. Solid choices in shelter and clothing.

Sounds like you got a lot of experience hunting for Dall sheep solo. If you don’t mind me asking, how many have you been on, and how has your success rate been?