Alberta FNG

Hey guys thought I would introduce myself instead of just lurking. I live in Edmonton, Alberta. I have been hunting all my life but just started looking in to doing some sheep hunting and came across this site while comparing gear. I mainly hunt Whitetails, Elk, Moose, and Muleys with rifle but have gotten back into archery this year so hopefully will be hunting more with my bow. I am always looking for any tips for doing some solo sheep hunts or if you are from around my area and are looking for a hunting partner for some backpacking trips let me know. Cheers

Buster

WKR
Greetings from southeastern BC. A few Canadians on here. Real sheep info and locations can be hard to pry out of sheep hunters mouthes, so good luck with that. I got lucky enough to be a pack mule for an old sheep killer and got a couple tidbits, but putting miles on the boots and more through the optics seems to be the best way to get into it. Good luck this fall.

Welcome from Calgary! Well, technically a wellsite in SW Sask right now. Im in the same boat as you, I have been doing a fair amount of distant scouting with topo maps and google earth for sheep spots and have been fortunate enough to find a few good elk spots away from people, in the last few years. I'm still a very novice backcountry hunter but would be happy to help anywhere I can!

OP
F
Greetings from southeastern BC. A few Canadians on here. Real sheep info and locations can be hard to pry out of sheep hunters mouthes, so good luck with that. I got lucky enough to be a pack mule for an old sheep killer and got a couple tidbits, but putting miles on the boots and more through the optics seems to be the best way to get into it. Good luck this fall.

Lol yes I have found that info and locations seem to be hard to get, however I understand why. Hopefully I can run into someone that I could be a pack mule for just to learn the ropes. If not no worries because getting out there is the part I am looking forward to most, even if I never do find the sheep lol.

OP
F
Welcome from Calgary! Well, technically a wellsite in SW Sask right now. Im in the same boat as you, I have been doing a fair amount of distant scouting with topo maps and google earth for sheep spots and have been fortunate enough to find a few good elk spots away from people, in the last few years. I'm still a very novice backcountry hunter but would be happy to help anywhere I can!

Haha that sounds like me. I have been stuck in a rig camp up by Fox Creek for quite awhile now so lots of scouting just with maps as well. That and time to read all of the tips on here lol.