All purpose temperature rating

I am going to be buying a new bag and have basically decided on a western mountaineering. I am torn between the 10 degree versatile or the 0 degree kodiak.

I am mostly hunting October/November hunts and this is my first quality bag. I feel like I would rather have a higher temperature rating and be able to unzip than have to worry about not having enough bag if I ever did get into some seriously cold weather.

What is everyone’s thoughts on this? Am I overdoing it if I go with the kodiak?

mlgc20

WKR
A lot of variables to consider. Elevation. Tent or tarp. Hot or cold sleeper. That type of stuff. Another thing to consider if you are comfortable sleeping in your insulated clothing. Some folks prefer to just sleep in their base layers and have plenty of bag. I am fine with sleeping in my puffy jacket or other clothes to keep heat. I typically use a 30 degree for everything. If it’s cold enough to need a 0 degree bag, you will have other insulating layers with you. With the right pad and extra clothing, I have taken a 30 degree bag down to zero degrees many times.

Backcountry sleeping is very personal and often requires some trial and error. There is nothing more miserable than a cold night in the sleeping bag. On the other hand, people tend to pack their fears. Lots of guys hauling way more bag than they need.

I use the same thought process as stated above. I also use a 30* quilt instead of a bag. Having a stove in your shelter is also pretty handy.

OP
Justin Price
I have a cimmaron with a stove and last year I was fine with a cheaper 20 degree bag down to the upper teens however I had a buddy with me who was miserable and trying to keep the stove going for him didn't equate to much sleep.

I don't consider myself a warm sleeper and I'm not opposed to sleeping in a jacket and pants but would definitely prefer to not have to. The difference between the two bags is something like 12 ounces in weight and the 10 degree bag is around 100 dollars cheaper. If you guys are taking 30 degree bags down to 0 degrees then surely I will be fine in the 10 degree bag to 0 or slightly below.

I'm fairly new to western hunting and definitely new to back country camping. How often do you see sub zero temperatures in October/November at ~10K foot in November in Colorado/Wyoming/Montana?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last year November 1 north Idaho it was zero degrees you Can plan and then Mother Nature has her Own ideas when you get close to November better plan on cold and snow. I’ve seen zero in Idaho and Montana several times through the decades In October. Have had several buddies pack too lite a bag and there always trying to keep the stove going.AE938706-3DDE-416A-B4F0-F4712047B14F.jpeg

Last edited:

CO-AJ

WKR
I am going to be buying a new bag and have basically decided on a western mountaineering. I am torn between the 10 degree versatile or the 0 degree kodiak.

I am mostly hunting October/November hunts and this is my first quality bag. I feel like I would rather have a higher temperature rating and be able to unzip than have to worry about not having enough bag if I ever did get into some seriously cold weather.

What is everyone’s thoughts on this? Am I overdoing it if I go with the kodiak?
Justin, I was in your shoes a couple weeks ago. I went with the WM Versalite, I was actually comparing it to the Feathered Friends Lark. Here was my reasoning for the WM. First weight, the Versalite is crazy light and packable into a small compression sack. So I could use it for either hunting or backpacking. I think it will compress from around 10L down to 3-5L if I remember correctly. Second, order it from Hermit's Hut which includes 3 additional oz of fill. This gets you another 3-5 degrees of comfort. Third, I always put a liner in the bag to keep it clean and reduce the times it needs a wash. Since I am carrying a liner anyway you can get liners that provide extra insulation. Fourth, spend the money on a good insulted sleeping pad with a high R Value. I went with Exped as I liked the r-Value to $$ plus they aren't crinkly like the Thermarest. Lastly, they were both made in the US.

A lot of variables to consider. Elevation. Tent or tarp. Hot or cold sleeper. That type of stuff. Another thing to consider if you are comfortable sleeping in your insulated clothing. Some folks prefer to just sleep in their base layers and have plenty of bag. I am fine with sleeping in my puffy jacket or other clothes to keep heat. I typically use a 30 degree for everything. If it’s cold enough to need a 0 degree bag, you will have other insulating layers with you. With the right pad and extra clothing, I have taken a 30 degree bag down to zero degrees many times.

Backcountry sleeping is very personal and often requires some trial and error. There is nothing more miserable than a cold night in the sleeping bag. On the other hand, people tend to pack their fears. Lots of guys hauling way more bag than they need.

thanks for the post. I have been highly considering trying a 30 degree bag this year. I would be using it July - October.

November= 0 degree bag. And a warm sleeping pad too if you want to be warm enough.

In the future if you do some backpacking in August/September you can get a 20 or 30 degree bad to save a couple pounds and then you will be set for just about anything.

MTForester

Lil-Rokslider
The Kodiak and Versalite are very different bags.
The Kodiak is much roomier than the Versalite (67" vs 62" shoulder girth).
The Versalite has a very lightweight, minimalist shell fabric.
The Antelope is a 5 degree bag with the same dimensions as the Versalite. Something to consider.

OP
Justin Price
Is the outer shell more durable on the Kodiak than the antelope? If so does it justify the extra weight?

MTForester

Lil-Rokslider
Kodiak and Antelope are both offered in microfiber and Windstopper. Versalite is only offered in their lightest weight shell, can't remember what they call it.