Sleep system northwoods Wisconsin - avg. low, 20-30

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
I have been reading through the sleep systems forum, and continue to learn a lot. My son and I do intend to do a western hunt over the next couple of years so am already planning sleep solutions there.

I haven't seen anything specific to this, however. We'll be hunting up in Ashland county, WI, nat'l forest, which has an average low for late November of 20-30F. I've been going to the Exped 8R, the X-Therm Z-Lite sol as an underpad, and a 0F sleeping bag (he already has one), but I was surprised the avg. up this way was so high, to be honest. So now I'm thinking overkill and don't want to drop a ton of money on 0F gear, when it isn't needed.

Any thoughts? Specific brands are gratefully taken in, but even just in terms of temp-rating on bags and R-spec on a sleeping pad, would be great.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Growing up and hunting in central MN, which is about like northern WI, I would not count on it staying that warm. Where you are talking does have lake effect weather, so it's a little different, but still I've been through a lot of snow storms that time of year. Even early November I remember enough years where it got down close to 0 at night. Heck, I was just in Bemidji last weekend and it must have got down to 40 at night, and that's mid September. Lot's of years I've been ice fishing before thanksgiving. If you are doing the typical state/national forest method of camping in a clearing off the road, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Bring extra blankets, you'll be fine.

ianpadron

WKR
0 degree 100%, unless you're rocking ultra high end bags you're dealing with outer limit ratings not comfort ratings. Most 0 degree bags are more like 20 degree bags, if that makes sense. Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, etc...those 0 degree bags are true 0 degree bags

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. We hunt here but this would be the first year we've tented it. It has been cold but not brutally cold though I hear you Novashooter, that means nothing up there, especially overnight and exposed. (Wife's side are all old-family Yoopers. Forecasts are more like "throw a dart at a name, let's see what happens"). And yep, you called it - not really camping "in" as there's no place to really do that, given there's forest roads in any direction within a few miles. So, yep, couple of hundred yards of a FR.

Actually spoke with the ranger district up that way and there's not an issue using a campground off season. The campground is 15 minutes away from our hunting area, so we might even just do that. Still, don't want to spend so much time fighting off misery at night and having no tank in the gas for hunting on the move during the day, so I hear both of you on erring on the side of warmth.

Thanks too, Ian. Maybe a good game plan would be the Exped 8R and foam pad, and just a middling 0F bag for now? I know the FF and WM are top shelf but tough to swallow for now, until we really need it. The other issue I have is that I'm a big guy who tends to thrash around at night, and a mummy may or may not work, so I was thinking of a quilt. But I know that might be asking a lot, if it really gets down there overnight.

If I were a big guy truck camping in cold temperatures, I would buy a rectangular flannel lined 0° bag and a good cot with appropriate pad.

I've slept comfortably in my semi open truck bed with 15° bag down to single digits, but I'm usually wearing my puffy also. It's much nicer to get in your bag with just base layers.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
I know this has been exhaustively covered, but keeping in mind we're not backpacking deep mountains in, thinking of the Thermarest Mondo and King Z-Lite Sol for an underpad. Bag, no idea yet. Reasonable?

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
If I were a big guy truck camping in cold temperatures, I would buy a rectangular flannel lined 0° bag and a good cot with appropriate pad.

I've slept comfortably in my semi open truck bed with 15° bag down to single digits, but I'm usually wearing my puffy also. It's much nicer to get in your bag with just base layers.
That would be ideal for us, but right now all we have is a Ford Escape. On the prowl for a truck, but won't be until next year.

That would be ideal for us, but right now all we have is a Ford Escape. On the prowl for a truck, but won't be until next year.
I didn't mean sleeping in your vehicle. I meant "truck camping" as in camping next to your vehicle.

I realize my wording there wasn't great.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
At our place in Price County, I have seen close to -20 on opening morning of rifle season. Just sayin.
Man, brutal. We hunt the St. Peter's area, but it's been many years - first season back since 2016 due to medical. Never remember it that cold, but I know that's not uncommon.

Like the Exped 8R but have seen some concerns over leaks. Thermarest XTherm, too. But the Mondo looks great, so long as we don't intend to go far.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't mean sleeping in your vehicle. I meant "truck camping" as in camping next to your vehicle.

I realize my wording there wasn't great.
Ah, sorry, misunderstood. The campground is available. Maybe overthinking this and should just go with your solution.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Funny, I'll be in the UP on Monday (wife went to college up there) and I told her I wasn't going to check the weather there and just assume it will be snowing.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
What MTTrout said. I have a setup for truck camping (heavy duty sleeping bag(s)) and one for backpacking. They are vastly different. I also have a small 1000W generator that runs a 500W electric heater that I use when in a tent by the truck or sleeping in the truck. Keeps things comfy.

ianpadron

WKR
Thanks guys. We hunt here but this would be the first year we've tented it. It has been cold but not brutally cold though I hear you Novashooter, that means nothing up there, especially overnight and exposed. (Wife's side are all old-family Yoopers. Forecasts are more like "throw a dart at a name, let's see what happens"). And yep, you called it - not really camping "in" as there's no place to really do that, given there's forest roads in any direction within a few miles. So, yep, couple of hundred yards of a FR.

Actually spoke with the ranger district up that way and there's not an issue using a campground off season. The campground is 15 minutes away from our hunting area, so we might even just do that. Still, don't want to spend so much time fighting off misery at night and having no tank in the gas for hunting on the move during the day, so I hear both of you on erring on the side of warmth.

Thanks too, Ian. Maybe a good game plan would be the Exped 8R and foam pad, and just a middling 0F bag for now? I know the FF and WM are top shelf but tough to swallow for now, until we really need it. The other issue I have is that I'm a big guy who tends to thrash around at night, and a mummy may or may not work, so I was thinking of a quilt. But I know that might be asking a lot, if it really gets down there overnight.
I've used a 0 degree quilt into the low teens with no issues. Just make sure you get a long, extra wide so you've got enough room to seal drafts if it gets real chilly.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Found a deal on sunnyside sports for the Exped dura 8, almost $100 off so went with 2 of them, Flexmats for an underpad, and Teton Celsius XXL 0˚F sleeping bags. I think the bags will be great for this trip, and we'll have plenty of time to choose ones for out west. You guys gave a lot of help, in particular ideas on this season (truck camping) v. upcoming backpack seasons. Thanks.

Last edited: