Alpaca socks

Clarence

WKR
Anyone use these over merino for later season backpack hunts? What has your experience been? Do they out perform merino wool on warmth? Is moisture management a problem? How many days in a have you worn a pair? Thinking of testing a pair this fall, but not ready to throw them in the pack for a extended hunt without some testing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have a pair from a local farm here in north Texas. Have worn them in cool weather and they do a good job with thermal regulation but my pit leaves a little to be desired with regard to moisture regulation. My pair might not be the best thought, so YMMV

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
I used some for a couple hunts several years ago. Really loved them but after wearing out the first couple pairs I had I was never able to find the same brand/model to repurchase. Tried a couple other brands and didn't like them as much. Moved to Gore and Darn Tough now.

I wore my original pairs for 5+ days at a time backpacking without issue. I think the wool is just as good if not slightly better than merino, just can't find a manufacturer making a model I like for a backpacking sock.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Inferior to Darn Tough. Darn Tough has a lifetime warranty for a reason and they don't slide down into your boot while climbing like Alpacas.

Last edited:
been curious to try Alpaca myself. when i did some research the specs with alpaca look better than merino but with alpaca i found quite a few review issues in general with wear. i may try them for stand hunting. last year i tried buffalo wool socks for short walk ins and stand hunting. i think they are a little better than merino keeping heat and pulling moisture but cant say how they will wear over time or in long hike situations.im not a fan on doubling socks or using poly liners.just think that they dont offer anything but sliding around inside or being too thick in the boot.i bring and extra pair and just change out during the day.as far as warmth goes i have some mid weight Darn tough socks that to me feel warmer than the thicker mountain socks they sell. i think once you go too thick on socks you start constricting your feet and it feels colder. i dont wanna start up sizing my hiking boots just for socks. Pac boots while ice fishing i size up and leave room.

Trial153

WKR
You cant compare high content wool socks, alpaca or other wise to something like darn tuff that has 30% nylon in them. Of course the nylon will be more durable. The reason they can give warranties on socks like that is the high nylon and spandex content.

Your comparing apple to oranges.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I bought a pair of Alpaca Socks at a Fly Fishing Show one time to run as a guide in the winter. They quickly turned into my all year socks and have been tough as hell! I've been running 1 pair for 3 years now during both fishing and hunting.

Biggest difference is that Alpaca is free of lanolin so it doesn't irritate and the fibers are completely hollow like deer hair, versus the pocketed merino, which in turn makes it warmer. All in all, I am firm believer in alpaca socks but the market just hasn't taken off to the point that they are produced/R&D on a large scale. You're at the mercy of homegrown operations in that regard.

Hondo

WKR
I've had several pairs of Dahlgren Alpaca/Merino blend socks over the last 10 years of so and they are the most comfortable socks I have worn. There is a trade-off between comfort and durability in socks and on occasion my feet have persuaded me to choose a higher level of comfort. I wear mostly Darn Tough for everyday and outdoor wear, but when I know my feet are going to be really pushed hard I'm likely to have some Alpaca socks at least as back-ups.

Ritzer81

FNG
Following. I am thinking of ordering some but not sure what brand to try. Any suggestions?

I keep seeing ads for this brand of alpaca socks and found this thread.

Has anyone else tried these or other brands of alpaca socks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S-3 ranch

WKR

I wear alpaca socks in the winter, way better than wool , keeps my feet dry and warm
like any socks they need to be rotated daily, and rinse them out and hang to dry, for maximum warmth and wicking

Pgidley

FNG
Have a look at Thermohair socks, my wife and I would fight over the one pair we (I) had until we finally bought a few more pairs. Hard to beat them in the winter, and they seem to be equal or more durable than any of my merino pairs.

Tingrao

FNG
I have been getting same ad suggestions in my instagram feed…was hoping to get some myself as I currently run merino liners from REI and darn tough over that. Maybe the Hollow will work as a single layer in my late season insulated Crispi? Probably gonna wait a few more days but would love to hear any firsthand experience with these.

eoperator

WKR
I only used my alpaca socks 1 time, put them in the dryer accidentally and they shrunk to small child size.

jd1006

WKR
I think Darn Tough is the only way to go. I prefer the thinnest for cold weather (less sweat, less cold feet) when paired with an insulated boot. I use thicker socks in warmer weather to absorb the sweat and move it away faster. I have pairs of Darn Tough Socks that are approaching 8 years old, and I’ve warrantied two pairs and they give you store credit to buy what you want with no questions asked.

ToolMann

WKR

My wife and I just got 2 pair each to try out. Super comfy. Haven't putthem through a cold weather hike situation yet. The elastic seems to be a bit loose up top but we'll see how they stay up with gaiters. I plan to try them out with my uninsulated Crispis later this week when it is minus 10 degrees.

Let me know what you think.

I’ve been wearing the middle weight ankle height socks for a few weeks. They are comfortable and warm. Not nearly as durable as the Darn Tough merino I had been wearing.

I haven’t put the warmer heavy weight boot socks to the rest yet either but they do seem like they will VBS warm.

TheHammer

WKR
I think Darn Tough is the only way to go. I prefer the thinnest for cold weather (less sweat, less cold feet) when paired with an insulated boot. I use thicker socks in warmer weather to absorb the sweat and move it away faster. I have pairs of Darn Tough Socks that are approaching 8 years old, and I’ve warrantied two pairs and they give you store credit to buy what you want with no questions asked.
This! I’ve bought 7 different versions of the darn tough socks. Seems my every day sock also worked best for me during the colder hunts this year (-9* F windchill) it’s what I’ve found my foot to be happiest in and sweat the least, it’s the steel toe sock, I run it mid summer scouting/training through right now late archery in stand. I’ve tried thicker and thinner socks, plus other brands, it seems that sock just works! I have warrantied 6 pairs over 5 years but I’m in my work boots 90+hrs a week, except September and late oct-December.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on if you’re going to be sitting in a stand/blind or hiking.
I bought a couple different brands of alpaca socks a few years back. They’re warm but I prefer my merino socks that fit. The alpaca socks are all built like a super heavy tube sock that after hiking for a while starts slipping and wadding up. I’ll wear a liner sock and a good merino instead of the alpacas just because my merino wool socks fit my feet. When I did the shooting stand hunting… those alpaca socks were great because I wasn’t hiking and walking all day.