Alternate to Sirui V5 head....I don't like it

Purchased a Sirui V5 or whatever head. I just don't like it. Running it on a Sprint Pro maybe? Head constantly comes loose. It's big and clunky. My spare adapter Arca Swiss plate never locks fully in place. The pan lever does not fold down and tuck away for storage. I just don't like it.

Other than $400 White heads....what's next in line for a lightweight but not break the bank, well made, simple pan head?

I’ve been glassing and playing with the really right stuff anvil ball head. I position the binos and then use the field of view to scan the entire area. When I’m done, I reposition the binos and scan another area. It seems best to have the binos locked solidly to catch movement from a bedded critter.

i’m 90% sure I prefer a ball head now for glassing. I think a pan head is for video where you need to capture smooth motion. I see no benefit to having your eyeballs up in the glass while panning the optic unless you want motion sickness.

the RRS BH40 head does have a built in panner and it locks down rock solid if you want to put your rifle on it.

I’ve switched to ball heads too as long as they have a dedicated panning motion. I use Leofoto heads. The 25 and the 40 if I might put a rifle on it. For spotters, I like dropping the mounting plate down into the portrait notch on the ball head demonstrated in this thread

OP
J
Any suggestions on ball heads that are small, light and worthy set ups to consider before go down a morning of GoogleFu Rabbit Holes? I'll start at Leofoto

coues32

WKR
promaster SPCH20 head has been great using it with 12 els and 85mm btx.

That said fixin to order sirui va5 to try out today

Rodéo

WKR
Another vote for the Promaster, no complaints with mine.
Love everything about my SPCH20 and would recommend it but have either of you had an issue with the handle coming loose after a while? It came loose while riding on the side of my pack last week and fell off and I've noticed it's been a loose a few other times. If I didn't hear it fall it and hit the rocks it would have been a glassing disaster when I got to my glassing spot...

Love everything about my SPCH20 and would recommend it but have either of you had an issue with the handle coming loose after a while? It came loose while riding on the side of my pack last week and fell off and I've noticed it's been a loose a few other times. If I didn't hear it fall it and hit the rocks it would have been a glassing disaster when I got to my glassing spot...
Mines always stayed tight while hiking. Been using it for about two years now. I always fold it down parallel to the center column while hiking just to make it more compact on the pack.

coues32

WKR
Never had a issue with mine, just looked there is a spring washer,maybe missing?
Use some removable locktite or some nail polish on the threads...

Rodéo

WKR
Never had a issue with mine, just looked there is a spring washer,maybe missing?
Use some removable locktite or some nail polish on the threads...
I'll check it out but maybe I'm missing a washer. I'll put some blue loctite on I'm sure that'll help.

pc3

WKR
I also use the promaster SPCH20 head....on the promaster 525 CF tripod. Handles my Meopta S2 no worries......first complaint I have come across for the VA5. I went with the promaster spch20 due it being a few bucks cheaper (at the time half the price). Kind of always had buyers remorse for not paying a little extra for the VA5 only because everyone on Rokslide mentions it is better, but reality is I have had no dramas with the spch20.