Altra Loan Peak Fit Advice

Picked up a pair of Lone Peak 5s. Regular width is excellent. Seems like plenty of room between my toes and the front. But I've seen YouTube folks say they wanted lots of room between toe tip and box. Walking around my (flat) neighborhood they are awesome. Unless there is some unusual requirements for these type of shoe, these seem to be a perfect fit. Anyone else use these? And how does the fit look to you?

This is with thinnish ankle socks, heal pressed against rear of the shoe.
20210821_180114.jpg

Picked up a pair of Lone Peak 5s. Regular width is excellent. Seems like plenty of room between my toes and the front. But I've seen YouTube folks say they wanted lots of room between toe tip and box. Walking around my (flat) neighborhood they are awesome. Unless there is some unusual requirements for these type of shoe, these seem to be a perfect fit. Anyone else use these? And how does the fit look to you?

This is with thinnish ankle socks, heal pressed against rear of the shoe.
View attachment 319190
I run Altra, loan peaks.
My rule of fit for trainers is a finger or thumbs width space from my big toe to the end of the shoe.

Space looks ok to me, maybe a little tight if:
Winter socks
Going down hill alot, and fast.

I find fit is best having summer fit shoes/boots and winter fit, with the winter being half to a whole size bigger.

looks to be the same fit as mine.

they are pretty comfy hunting footwear, almost too roomy in the toe box, only a problem in real steep stuff when it's hard to get traction... not a real problem though.

i wore mine a lot last elk season, like them and will wear them some this year i'm sure. mine were never waterproof, or really even water resistant, but they do dry super fast, and are extremely light, which is a plus as well.

i was wearing lone peaks when i killed my bull last year, and packed him out wearing them, only a couple times i was nervous, going downhill really steep, and i was having to be really careful because with the roomy toe box, my foot moves around a little inside, and the traction is about what it looks like it would be... fine, but not great.

if i would have had trekking poles with me, it would have been a complete non issue, and it really wasn't an issue anyways. i like them, and they held up surprisingly well. i want to keep them in decent shape this year so i can wear them turkey hunting next spring.... great boot for that, covering a lot of miles and not wearing 100lbs on your back.

the lone peaks sure are comfortable, and they are great for stalking, soft soles, you can feel the ground well, but enough foot protection for walking a bunch of miles on gravel

OP
Mike Islander
I bought these for scouting but will probably use them for early season deer and bear. Many thanks for all the great advice.

Last edited:

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Looks pretty good I go with a thumb width, I really like my lone peaks 3.5s have yet to try the 5s on.