Am I the only one?

So my question to everyone is how do you find other people to do these trips with?

I'm originally from Ohio but moved south in 95. As someone mentioned, Join the RMEF. Awesome organization! Go to the annual banquet. Also local gun club or wildlife club. There is a chance of meeting someone on one of these Elk hunting websites and you probably have already. There are a lot of us Elk nuts around. A not so great hunting partner though is much worse than no partner at all so choose wisely. Be careful about going with someone in their vehicle. If things don't go the way you like your stuck with them. Fortunately I have a good partner to hunt with this year. But if something would change where he don't go I'm still going. It's tough out there with the elevation change and the steepness of the terrain. It often feels like it's all uphill and 80% of the time it probably is. Still, I love most everything about Elk hunting and wish I had choose to go more often when I was younger.

This actually worked for me

That is true. Go hunt even if you don't find a partner as you could find one while hunting or meet some near where you camp. It's not a bad idea sometimes to camp near other hunters even if you don't hunt with them as you can kind of look out for each other to some extent. In life with every aspect some are team players and some are not. The key to a great hunting partner is finding one that is a team player at heart but it works both ways. Concentrate more on learning to hunt elk well and you will end up finding folks to hunt with. It's not a race, it's a long journey if you are lucky a very worthwhile one.

Garrett58

FNG
Was in a guided hunt camp a few years back and heard the term hunting spouse. That sums it up well as that person is hard to find, one with the passion, commitment, financial wherewithal, family flexibility etc. etc. that matches yours. Invite someone to go with you and you will find quickly if they have the matching passion. Most do not as it seems to be more effort than they thought. A good partner is hard to find and does not typically come quick, when you find one it can be a long lasting friendship. Best of luck.

Beendare

WKR
h6pjUxRqQ1uRPDDlIKflMQ.jpg
I just had dinner with Kirk my elk hunting buddy of over 30 years. He is up the wine region for Memorial weekend with a gal he is sporting around though all of the wineries are closed due to Covid thus the masked photo....which I will give him a hard time about for many years to come! grin

We met on a blind date if you will much as the OP is trying to do....and have been hunting together off and on for over 30 years. We were trying to count how many elk we have killed together....its over 40 between the two of us and another pile of them for assorted buddies.

Kirk even at 61 is an absolute beast in the mountains....he lives at 7,000' and will just bury you on 15 mile days.....giving me an incentive to stay in shape.

Like minded hunting buddies are out there......

OP
CoolRain8

CoolRain8

FNG
I just wanted to take the time to thank each and every one of you for your responses. So many made me look at this in a different light. I had always been told you need someone with ya for those deep packouts, but listening to you guys I think solo would probably be my best option. My girlfriend is gonna whitetail hunt with me in the fall here in Ohio and see how she likes it. I've had her on the archery range almost once a week and shes loving it. She will definitely be somebody I could foresee down the road.
Ive heard about the RMEF but didnt realize how many events they have! I will be attending one as soon as COVID permits. For my first post I sure did get a lot of feedback and have already come to appreciate and participate in this forum. Thanks again y'all

I just wanted to take the time to thank each and every one of you for your responses. So many made me look at this in a different light. I had always been told you need someone with ya for those deep packouts, but listening to you guys I think solo would probably be my best option. My girlfriend is gonna whitetail hunt with me in the fall here in Ohio and see how she likes it. I've had her on the archery range almost once a week and shes loving it. She will definitely be somebody I could foresee down the road.
Ive heard about the RMEF but didnt realize how many events they have! I will be attending one as soon as COVID permits. For my first post I sure did get a lot of feedback and have already come to appreciate and participate in this forum. Thanks again y'all

No doubt that many on here are hardcore solo elk killers. However, you need to take some things into consideration for yourself personally. I don't know what experience you have in the backcountry, if any. Its nothing like the white tail flatlands of Ohio. It can be serious country in places. The main thing you need to give some serious thought to is how you plan to pack out an elk solo, should you get one down. If you are 5-10 miles back, solo, with a bull down, you are looking at a multiple day pack out. Depending on the temps, you have to take into account how long you have before meat spoilage. Some guys will use pack animals. Some guys will hire a cowboy with horses to come in and pack the meat out. Some have friends they can call for help. All this needs to be taken into consideration well before hand.

For a new elk hunter, in archery season, during the rut, your chances of success are far greater if you have a partner to do the calling from back behind you while you position ahead and wait for a shot opportunity. Don't let anyone blow sunshine up your backside telling you that its just as easy by yourself.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Same boat, but I definitely do not see it as a hindrance! The more people I meet the more I like being alone, and my dogs..

Ripalip7

FNG
I agree with the guys on this thread that say to go solo. I would say that I hunt solo about 75% of the time. I have a few really good hunting buddies that I can count on but they were hard core hunters when I met them. I would not lower your hunting partner standards just to get some one to go with you. The wrong person can ruin a hunt really quick.

I’ll plan a CO hunt with you lol. I live in UT and plan on hitting Idaho and CO over next couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt solo for the most part. Everyone, my age is too crippled to go. My young friends have kids and can't spend as much time in the woods. Plus personalities and opinions always get in the way. When you go solo all that disappears but you are left with one big problem "Getting the elk out of the woods". Bicycles, custom game carts and ATV's do the trick. Hunt 2 or 3 miles from the roads preferably with some trail system that leads to good elk habitat. Do your research using Google Earth and put a plan together, then work your plan. Start with day hunts then as you gain experience and find good places then try backpacking.

md126

WKR
Not sure how old you are but you sound young so be patient You’ll meet people eventually but in the meantime...

go solo

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got buddies and family members that hunt, but none that want to commit the time and money to get after elk. I was working on a plan to go solo til I screwed my back up really good. No elk for me until I get that squared away. So for now it’s solo antelope and maybe deer. Good luck in your search.

I am in SC and I know of only one other person around here that’s committed to it like I am. Most people only have the desire to do outfitted hunts out of state. The thought of DIY big game is non existent for the most part.

Now I do know plenty of waterfowl hunters that travel out of state to hunt public areas and leases but there’s just not many people willing to put the miles in for big game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sdieffen

FNG
I hunted solo many years. My buddies all want to do it but always choke. I've met several like minded guys I hunt with in CO. We've become lifelong friends. I say go solo and you'll meet like minded people you CAN hunt with.

I'll add this. It is a process for this to happen. You'll see what I mean in 3 years. Also, buy a PLB or Inreach in case you get injured. You may need extraction. Been there, done that. Good luck!

Nickd160

FNG
I’ll give you my two sense.i live in PA and was in a very similar situation and it took me until I was 34 to go out west when I finally snuck into a group. One of the biggest regrets in my life was not going solo and learning the ropes at a younger age and enjoying the west. You will meet ppl out there for sure if a group is ultimately what you’re looking for. The last thing I’ll say is if you want to do this yearly or even bi yearly set the precedent now with the significant other and start going LOL! I had a toddler at home when I started going and now another so to my wife it’s “new” and always a battle. She gets it but if I would have started 10 years ago it would have just been the norm.

PMcGee

WKR
If I were you I’d just go solo. The first year I went I was going solo until I found someone on here who’s partner dropped out at the last minute. Now I have other friends who are going out west every year but they’re at the point in their lives where they’re starting to have kids so I’m sure some years they won’t be able to go for 2 weeks at a time. I’d have no problem hunting solo at this point. Hunt from your vehicle if you have to. Try a couple overnight hunts. You’ll find out pretty quick if it’s for you or not. Maybe try and start a thread looking for a partner. Someone you can meet before you head west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beendare

WKR
I posted a pic of one of my hunting buddies meeting him blind....and it worked out.

I've hunted with and guided many guys. Frankly, some are real turds. Some are unprepared...and many are just unremarkable. I doubt some of those guys will find good lifelong hunting buddies.

So to the subject matter; What makes a guy a good hunting buddy?

I've bombed down into nasty canyons with Kirk, just miserable country and after hours of beating ourselves up and not getting any responses, we would stop and just laugh about how stupid we are....how bad a decision it was to go into that spot, etc....then Kirk would say something like, 'well we know they aren't in here, they must be in the next canyon' ....and we would hammer our way into that.

My buddy Tim is the easiest going guy you have ever met....as long as he has his chew....and even if he doesn't. My buddy Robert is about the funniest guy I know. We were stranded 8 miles in last year when one of the fat tire bikes wouldn't start. We [actually HE] literally tore 2 fat tire bikes down in the woods with a multi tool and after 2 hours got that thing running. So not only is he hilarious, but one heck of a mechanic.

Lots of factors to finding a good hunt buddy...but the most important factor is BEING a good hunting buddy.

_____

In my case, I had an Elk hunting buddy that was good as gold. He always did his fair share and sometimes more, and we traveled West for our annual Elk hunt every October. Two nights before we were to leave one year, he went riding on his MC, and got into a serious accident. Broke several ribs, punctured one of his lungs, got a concussion, and broke his ankle. He was laid up in his hospital bed, hitting his Morphine drip while saying, "I'm still going with you Friday". Well, he couldn't even get discharged by then, so I loaded up the trailer and drove 24 straight hours alone. My wife flew up there after finishing her work week, and I picked her up at the Albuquerque airport.
She didn't hunt, but was along for the two weeks I spent there. It was a Outfitted/Guided Private Ranch Bull Hunt and I stayed in a Motel in town. She loved the down time, relaxing in the room until I returned for lunch, and then in the evening when I returned for dinner.
She loved the area and the scenery so much she has been going with me ever since (that was in 1998). We both look forward to the trip every year, a two week vacation.
My injured hunting partner fortunately recovered, and was able to talk his wife into making the trip the following year (1999), so we made it a foursome for several years after that. My hunting partner has since found other endeavors in the hunt (Deer camp in Alabama), so he spends that time with his Family there. My wife and I still travel West for my annual Elk hunt. I feel truly blessed to have her with me. The best two weeks of the year.

So, Moral of the story is keep looking for that hunting partner, there are others out there that will enjoy the same things as you, and they might be closer than you think.

Last edited:

luckydraw2014

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't wait to find a partner, I would just head out and get into it. I tried for a few years to locate a partner, I am finally heading out to CO this year solo. I regret putting off elk hunting for all those years.