American made alternatives to the tikka ?

Sled

WKR
Would you settle for a Canadian assembled gun? Fierce builds an ok firearm that is based in the USA (Utah) and assembled in Canada. It's similar to the Tikka in that it's built off the sako action. Bolt is not as smooth as the Tikka but still really nice.

Would you settle for a Canadian assembled gun? Fierce builds an ok firearm that is based in the USA (Utah) and assembled in Canada. It's similar to the Tikka in that it's built off the sako action. Bolt is not as smooth as the Tikka but still really nice.

My fury is a bit smoother than the tikka I just picked up, not sure if that’ll end up getting smoother over time. I have close to 300 on the fury only 60 on the tikka.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I am agreeing with you, the bolt does actually hang up in the video. I wasn’t being sarcastic lolSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know. I was being sarcastic.

How is that barrel shooting after several thousand rounds?

I generally check zero and group when switching lots of ammo, all 10 round groups-
ED95A01F-FF82-4D9B-9297-FF2086DEAD4E.jpeg

The real question, is how do you know as a fact- that barrels need to be cleaned to shoot?

Last edited:
Look for videos of rifle competition in Scandinavia, they use the middle finger on the trigger like Form was doing there and spit out a hail of of fire very accurately, it's impressive to watch. Guess what rifles they don't use?
I almost have to smoke a cigarette after watching those Stangskyting videos! ....German engineering is probably impossible to beat....
...however, when the Canadian Rangers needed to decommission their Lee Enfields after 70 years of service, guess what rifles they DID use? :D

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I was more asking about round count, deliberately dumping sand and freezing your rifles. No matter, I’m glad you have a shooter.

That’s what I was responding to.

Everything is equal while it’s sitting on the shelf. It’s in use that separation happens. Having dealt wih numerous failures in use, I prefer to find the failure points before I need the equipment. So when someone says “my rifle/scope/etc doesn’t have problems”, it’s a simple matter to demonstrate before their eyes that their item can and does fail. Naturally, one should show an item that does not exhibit the behavior.

You can’t just show a Leupold losing zero from a side impact, if you’re not going to show a scope that holds zero.

...however, when the Canadian Rangers needed to decommission their Lee Enfields after 70 years of service, guess what rifles they DID use? :D

I'm sure the Canadian Rangers Tikka is a robust rifle, but as a government employee, the last thing I'd assume is that winning a government contract means one product is better than another.

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
Finnish, German and other Euro made firearms and optics are as like buying usa made...but better quality on average. And they are our friends. Just stay away from any 'asian' made firearms as you know they farm stuff out to the chicoms and assemble it as if they made it. Just like we do! If you want to go good ole boy usa then then best bet is H-S precision for rifles. They are nilspec and all made 100% in house. And top quality in every manner. They will be in biz as long as ruger because 90% of their production is to governments around the globe.

Zappaman

WKR
Savage is 100% US made and they just bought their company back from Vista... and they "shot" as good as Tikka's for about 1/2 the price (*before they spun off). I think you'll see them moving more into Tikka's market with some of the latest offerings (they already have).

I now HUNT with several Savage Axis II rifles where I'm not worried about scratching the cheap plastic stocks ;) I've also tweaked a few with new barrels and stocks (lightweight- not Boyds laminate super heavy stuff). They make a good gun and always have, but they seem to always be the 700 and 70s "step child" for some reason (*not because they don't shoot though... and I think they are "pretty" myself) ;)

Weatherby Vanguards are another excellent option to Tikka- especially in the larger (and extended calibers offered) as they have the Howa (heavier) action with NICE bottom metal. Tikka has the lighter weight, but for larger calibers I'd take the Vanguard (no plastic, one piece bolt, and great 26" barrel- made in Wyoming). I WANT a slightly heavier hunter in this larger kickin' caliber!

My Vanguard Weatherguard 7mm RM hits 8 1/2 lbs. with good glass and factory everything. Nice cerikote (even on the bolt face!) all around and easily puts Berger 160s into 3/4" off bags. My re-barreled (25"), re-scoped custom (maple stocked) stainless Savage 260ai Axis II build lands right at 7 1/2 lbs. (*and shot a buck in the neck at 365 yards last month- ranged).

Nothing wrong with Tikka, but there are some excellent offerings out there in the same (or lesser) price range that are engineered well, have stood the test of time, and are made AND shoot just as good. And I again have to say in later years that my 70s and 700s have become safe "queens" while I'm grabbing the "plastic" guns more and more to go out and USE them- especially in the thick stuff (Texas pig hunting being one of those places).

Yes, I have too many rifles... and part of that is because Savage (and Weatherby) shoot!!!

Sagewind

FNG
If the OP is searching for an American made equivalent to a Tikka, I am not sure there is one if comparing build quality, function, and cost. Maybe a Ruger Hawkeye- if you can find one.
in my own experience, w/ my Tikka SL, I adjusted the trigger pull weight, torqued the action screws, added Sportsmatch rings and 10x SS, DONE. I later added High Desert aluminum bottom metal strictly because of aesthetics- the factory item functions fine. The rifle is one of the last ones I would ever let go.
W/ my 700- it got a Boyds stock, a TT trigger, a steel trigger guard, and I had to re-tap each 6-48 hole. I am still playing w/ the bedding and the action isn’t timed perfectly. Meh…
My Vanguards required nothing but a Timney or an adjustment on the Vanguard 2 trigger. Not American made, but high quality at a reasonable cost. I like them very much.
I love my Winchester Featherweight in 270, but the new ones are sourced from Portugal and have a enclosed MOA trigger- a definite down grade in function. My New Haven gun required a bedding job and a trigger job. It will be passed down to a grandchild.
I have a Ruger American Predator. The machining is a little rough, the stock is cheap feeling, and extraction is not consistently reliable. I do like it for its intended purpose, it’s accuracy, and it’s low buy-in. It is strictly a tool.
if I were set on a quality, American made product, I would spend the $ for a semi- custom project (stock, trigger, barrel), gamble on a Ruger 77 or a Kimber, or shop used. Current production rifles that match Tikka quality and value? I don’t see it. YMMV.