Ammo choice for new rifle

Viperidae

FNG
Even if I don't draw this year in NM for elk I purchased a new rifle, Was wondering if anyone else has experience with the Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon Speed in .300WSM. I am trying to cut down on ammo purchases since I spent more than I planned on the rifle, and wanted to hear what ammo other have found the gun likes. (Wife is starting to notice my spending..)

Fingers crossed I draw this year, last year I drew but it was a super late rut and the bulls played it smart moving at night and left me meatless.

Mosby

WKR
I think each rifle is unique regardless of brand but I always found Hornady ammo to be more accurate out of the box than most in a variety of rifles. If I shot factory, I would start with Hornady 165 grain GMX fwiw. I might also try Federal with quality bullets. Shop around for pricing. My neighbor recently bought ammo and Academy was $8 a box cheaper than Cabela's.

OP
V

Viperidae

FNG
Thanks! I was looking at the Hornady and Barnes ammo, wasn't sure if I should go with the 180 or 165grain as it would change how I have to sight the scope. Luepold indicates a 300yd zero for the 165grain and a 200yard zero for the 180 grain. Guess I will start with the faster flatter rounds and see how it goes!

I had the Hell's canyon 300 win mag. It liked the lighter stuff more than heavy. Tried the 200 grain Hornady precision hunter, Hornady 180 super performance, and the Barnes 165 TTSX. The barnes shot better than anything else I tried. Know it's a different caliber but same bullet, same twist rate, maybe it will help narrow it down.

OP
V

Viperidae

FNG
I had the Hell's canyon 300 win mag. It liked the lighter stuff more than heavy. Tried the 200 grain Hornady precision hunter, Hornady 180 super performance, and the Barnes 165 TTSX. The barnes shot better than anything else I tried. Know it's a different caliber but same bullet, same twist rate, maybe it will help narrow it down.
I appreciate it! I heard the rifle is a tack driver, and I am sure I will be a great elk and mulie rifle. Ill start with the lighter stuff and see how it groups.

BJP

FNG
Just built a 300wsm it shot barnes 165ttsx 1/2 moa , nosler 180 accubond ammo 3/4,

EJMK

FNG
I’m a Nosler Accubond fan. No experience with your caliber, but have had nothing but excellent results with the accubond in .338/.300/.280ai

Fullfan

WKR
I have two 300wsm in the Kimber Montana's, 180gn TTSX at 3000 fps shoot sub moa. The Barnes TTSX shoot well out of several of my rifles, and work well on elk.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
When I shot factory out of mine I used federal fusions a lot, even killed some elk with them. They weren't as pricey as the premium stuff.

ChrisAU

WKR
I always try to force a new rifle to like either a Nosler or Federal load with Nosler Partition bullets. Haven't found one yet that won't shoot them at least MOA and I like the hole they punch.

ocp

FNG
I have the hells canyon speed in the 300 mag. I shot my elk last year with the 180 grain Federal Trophy Bonded tip. Dropped bull in one shot. It is a great round and shoots well out of my gun