Ammo Suggestions

matsprt

FNG
Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes…
I have a new “high end” rifle.
I was following the manufacturer‘s recommendation for breaking in the barrel. Out today and 12 shots into the procedure the bolt jams with a live round in it. Can’t close it nor open it.
Safety on and head home feeling very uncomfortable. Call the manufacturer and relay the situation. They suggested that I tap it gently with a rubber mallet. Told that their guns run very tight tolerances and it is most likely an ammo problem.
Prior to today I had asked for ammo suggestions and was given 3 - Nosler Trophy Grade 160, Barnes Vor-TX 162 and Hornady Precision Hunter 160. All supposed to be good quality ammo. I was told to break in the barrel and then fire 3 shot groups to determine which ammo my gun “liked” best. Never got that far.
I did get it cleared with a gentle tap.
My concern is who wants to be out hunting and have a jam on ammo ?? If their suggestions don’t work in their guns where to look now ??
Is there a “better” brand that one could expect not to have this issue ?? Does one need to pre run every round through their gun before heading out in the field ??
(I’m intentionally not naming the gun as I will reach back out to them Monday. No reason to start a brand war)
Looking for suggestions.

I tend to agree. Hence my reluctance to name names until I see how they handle it.
Having been down this road with another manufacture, be patient but be persistent. If they fail to make it right I would definitely out them here. If they do make it right, post a positive review here. Either side deserves to be heard so that others can make more informed purchases moving forward.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
SAMMI specs make it so chamber tolerances will fit ammo tolerances, unless something is out of whack.

I &would suspect the rifle chamber long before the ammo.

IdahoBeav

WKR
That’s a chamber problem, not a round problem.
Or bolt claw issue

However, I have been having problems with cartridge rim tolerances on Nosler ammo. I get the occasional round that will not seat smoothly when the bolt goes down. It'll only be one or two cartridges in a 20 rd. box, but I know it's not a rifle issue since the other 18 or 19 rounds operate flawlessly.

OP
matsprt

matsprt

FNG
Or bolt claw issue

However, I have been having problems with cartridge rim tolerances on Nosler ammo. I get the occasional round that will not seat smoothly when the bolt goes down. It'll only be one or two cartridges in a 20 rd. box, but I know it's not a rifle issue since the other 18 or 19 rounds operate flawlessly.
And that was my experience today. 12 rounds loaded no problem. Then the one. I have not checked the remaining 8, nor my second box.

TaperPin

WKR
To get an accurate barrel/chamber there’s no doubt tighter chambers shoot better, but the downside is there’s not as much slop for ammo that’s not 100% correct. Before a hunt I’ve run every cartridge through the chamber, just to prevent the surprise you had.

Christensen gets a lot of flak, but I have a Christensen 6.5 prs barrel for my Remington 700 and comparing the chamber with a flashlight or borescope side by side with multiple Remington factory barrels, there is no comparison in the quality of machining and chamber condition.

I‘ll upgrade my 7 mag barrel when a Christensen take off comes up for sale, and wouldn’t mind one of their 300 prs barrels as well.

OP
matsprt

matsprt

FNG
To get an accurate barrel/chamber there’s no doubt tighter chambers shoot better, but the downside is there’s not as much slop for ammo that’s not 100% correct. Before a hunt I’ve run every cartridge through the chamber, just to prevent the surprise you had.

Christensen gets a lot of flak, but I have a Christensen 6.5 prs barrel for my Remington 700 and comparing the chamber with a flashlight or borescope side by side with multiple Remington factory barrels, there is no comparison in the quality of machining and chamber condition.

I‘ll upgrade my 7 mag barrel when a Christensen take off comes up for sale, and wouldn’t mind one of their 300 prs barrels as well.
I had already considered having to run ammo through the gun prior to going in the field. At the same time I consider that necessity unacceptable for a quality gun.
Maybe old school but I consider reliability on par with accuracy. One without the other is useless.

TaperPin

WKR
I had already considered having to run ammo through the gun prior to going in the field. At the same time I consider that necessity unacceptable for a quality gun.
Maybe old school but I consider reliability on par with accuracy. One without the other is useless.
I agree with you on that - for that reason I’d not buy that ammo again.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
Simply don't understand the reluctance to name the firearm mfr. First, identifying the firearm may give others an opportunity to share a similar experience and solution or outcome. Second, it holds mfrs accountable for poor quality control and customer service. If a particular firearm mfr was known for poor quality control and you read about several bad experiences on this forum, would you buy one? The advantage of the internet and forums is to share experiences and advice and without knowing the mfr, you are handicapping others from possibly helping or from benefitting from your experience. If the mfr steps up and resolves the problem satisfactorily, you can come on here and show everyone that their CS took care of the problem which is beneficial as well.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
Why would you say that ??
After doing a little Holmes and Watson investigating, I called up the ATF to see what gun purchases you made in the last 12 months

JK……looked at a previous post you made

I think there was a thread sometime in the last six months about the same issue in a Christensen. The issue ended up being an out of spec chamber so I’m guessing that is your problem. Send the rifle back and have them check it out.

OP
matsprt

matsprt

FNG
So I went back to the range today. Continuing with their prescribed barrel break-in routine.

I started with the Nosler ammo again and the 3 rounds all chambered with no problem. Still looking back they “feel” tight against the bolt.

Then ran a brush and patch through the barrel and let it cool. Next up was the Barnes ammo. All chambered with no problems. Same cleaning and cooling routine as before.

Last up was the Hornady. Once again no problems. I was very careful and when loading ammo I was gentle until I knew the bolt would close. I was breach loading the gun - not using the magazine (which I’v read can be problematic).

So I have one round of Nosler that would not load. I had a guy next to me look over that round and he could not see anything that would cause a jam. Who knows….

The gun seems to “like” either Barnes or Hornady. Of course I start with the brand the gun seems to like least - Nosler. I guess that’s why we shoot them.

Between the Barnes and Hornady I made a sight adjustment. I was shooting at 100 yds bench unsupported. I’m reasonably happy with the groupings. That low 6 o’clock round I pulled and knew it when I shot it. Most all the other shots were ok, minimal trigger creep and a crisp trigger break.

I’m happy with the gun, I’ll still run all ammo through before hitting the field until I get a little more confidence in it. It’s nothing like my pre 64 Model 70 270.

For those curious ones it is a Christensen Traverse in 7mm RemMag.

Below are the targets:

Attachments

• IMG_5611.jpeg
    IMG_5611.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5612.jpeg
    IMG_5612.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5613.jpeg
    IMG_5613.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 11