Another bear mauling

I always admired he was willing to change his perspective. I think the biggest mistake people make is not factoring in how smart grizzly bears are. Not sure they are border collie smart but they certainly are Labrador or Golden Retriever smart. I see them almost every day from now till freeze up, they are clever and dangerous bastards, only an idiot would assume following all the precautions you won’t have a problem. Hell I carry spray, Acme Thunder whistle and a 45/70 to walk the dogs.

OP
AK Troutbum
^^^Good deal, thanks for the update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AKBorn

WKR
I always admired he was willing to change his perspective. I think the biggest mistake people make is not factoring in how smart grizzly bears are. Not sure they are border collie smart but they certainly are Labrador or Golden Retriever smart. I see them almost every day from now till freeze up, they are clever and dangerous bastards, only an idiot would assume following all the precautions you won’t have a problem. Hell I carry spray, Acme Thunder whistle and a 45/70 to walk the dogs.
Have you had to try the Thunder Whistle, and if so how did the bears react? I used to think about bringing one of those air horns to try scaring off a bear that hung around camp too much, but never brought one and have never had a stubborn/persistent bear hang around camp that we are aware of.

I put it in the same category as any loud scary noise, just like warning shots. A bear doesn’t know what a warning shot means, just a very load scary noise. A bear that survived being wounded likely stays well away from people, he’s the one running like hell when the boat or floatplane is approaching. I’ve seen the air horn work a number of times and I’ve used the whistle a number of times. As to the whistle I don’t know if they would have left anyway but a long blast sure seems to bother them. I also try to blast them with the exhaust/spray from my jet boat. A bear pushes us off the beach and back into the boat I’ll get my guests secured, idle the boat off shore, raise the motor and hammer the throttle. Scares the shit out of them. Only do this to bears that forced me to leave a spot, I don’t care about the ones who keep a respectful distance. I gave up warning shots years ago. I think spray is outstanding, I get to spray a couple a year and have only had to kill one since the stuff came out.