Another FNG from FL

I'm just gonna go ahead and break the ice here since I've been lurking for months and months now. Live in the Flor-Ala area on the Gulf Coast (Hurricane Alley). I asked a buddy how the hell he could afford these western backcountry hunts that are like $30k and his response was "I don't spend anything like that, I just put in for a tag and split the gas with some friends and we go hunt". I started educating myself about these Elk hunts and wow, eyes opened. Being a long time backpacker who grew up whitetail hunting in AL, Eagle Scout, Recon Marine, etc. I was just like this is about the perfect hobby that combines everything I love to do. So I got a new Kuiu pack (my old molle pack from the marine corps broke last time I hiked cheaha), updated some other gear, strapped on the boots, and started hiking all the largest hills I could find. I jumped back into the rabbithole of archery which I have always loved. Currently shooting a GoldTip kinetic pierce w/ 50 grain IW insert, 10 grain IW collar, IW 125 gr vented wide series that I fletch up with 4 q2i fusion (not xvanes although those are decent too I just like a little more height on the vane) and they are spot on anywhere within 40 yards, a little more work to get there at 70. Total arrow weight running ~485gr. out of my old Diamond Black Ice.

I drew CO and MT this year, mailed CO back after settling on MT for the lone (likely incorrect) reason that I thought there may be less people bow hunting elk there. In roughly a month, I'll fly to Missoula, hit a REI or Cabelas or something for a few last minute items and food and a grocery store and then drive out into the woods and step off on my first elk hunt for 7 days. My expectation is this first one will be nothing but a really expensive backpacking trip but who knows. I'm consuming as much info as I possibly can from every source I can find. I have a couple routes planned and plugged into the Garmin 66i. Last weekend I tried to do a pack out simulation and threw on 80lbs and walked up and down the biggest incline around here for 4 miles, then did it again later, then again the next morning. None of my routes take me more than 4 miles off the road anyway. I pretty much hump at least 3-5 miles at least 2-3x week with varying weights but at least 45lbs in addition to running 3-5miles on the days I work out. Elevation will still probably kick me in the balls but I'm not exactly a noob when it comes to backpacking mountains either. I have routes A, B, C, D, and E with a couple smaller contingency spots that are closer to the road. If the trip is nothing but a week full of pain I will consider it a win and know what to adjust next year. I'm not headed to griz country (yet) since I'll be solo but man am I excited to go do this. Just wish I had known about these DIY backcountry hunts a decade ago!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to Rokslide.
Sounds like you have a great plan hope you report back after your season. One thing is I'd definitely double check with your car rental place and ensure you have a vehicle as there's been a shortage everywhere but especially smaller markets like Montana.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
P
Yes that I will be doing for sure. The rental vehicle is the one that caught me off guard. I booked it all and was like ok I need to rent a truck and was surprised to find that was the hardest part. At one point I started to wonder if I was going to have to rent a uhaul van or something.

OP
P
judging from the difficulty of finding a rental suv/truck I would say probably going to see other people but who knows. There's a lot of Montana to hunt. I was wondering just this morning how the heck people pick a location or unit to hunt up there. In CO or these other states it's easier in that you draw a gmu and that's your x number of acres to hunt. Since MT allows you to hunt about 2/3 of the state on a general elk tag, how do you know?