Another one bites the dust- poacher style

People make mistakes, with any luck he will learn from this and bounce back.

No offense but l am Getting pretty sick and tired of seeing other hunters say shit like this... A mistake is not signing your tag after notching it, or shooting a 49" moose instead of 50".

A mistake is not shooting a deer out of season without a proper tag for it, then drive it out of state for taxi work, then have the balls to display it at the hunt expo... That is several calculated steps to side step the law. Sorry he shouldn't have the opportunity to bounce back, he should be nailed to the wall for all to see... Unfortunately because to many people share your view he like all poachers will get off with a relative slap on the wrist.

I never commented on how I feel he should be disciplined or how I feel about this. Hopefully he can learn from this. Im sure there are other poachers out there that have learned from their mistakes and have bounced back.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
easy boys...

I don't think too many people share a view to go light on poachers as this thread demonstrates. The slaps on the wrist seem to come from the judges.

I don't know what Wyoming's law is but I don't see any reason this guy shouldn't get the max punishment as he did break the law on about every level including Lacey Act

I had to read Nick's post twice myself, but I think I got his point. We do want to leave some room for people to change, that is after proper punishment.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby I do not believe this was a low country buck. The pictures I saw had him on his migration route after the season. Hoback ranches could very well be along his migration route from the high country. Hoback ranches is not exactly low country. It is kind of a cabin community.

wyodan, that is what I was thinking at first (migrating buck) but they have photos of him in full summer velvet and photographed before mid-October (time stamped on the photo) before the migration and way bigger sagebrush than I see growing in the high country of the Hoback. Am I wrong?

wyodan

WKR
wyodan, that is what I was thinking at first (migrating buck) but they have photos of him in full summer velvet and photographed before mid-October (time stamped on the photo) before the migration and way bigger sagebrush than I see growing in the high country of the Hoback. Am I wrong?

Robby, by mid October the majority of our deer are migrating. If you have been in the Hoback, the ranches are on the top of the Hoback rim. So not exactly a low elevation, but definitely not peak top either. I may have missed the picture of him in velvet, but we do have large sagebrush up to 10000 ft plus. I will look through the info again just to make sure I have my story correct, but the impression I had was he had been photographed on his migration route down to his winter range near big piney.

He should be punished max on this, no doubt about it. But I don't think we should be so harsh to ruin a man's life because he made a very poor choice. I'm sure we have all made choices we regret.

wyodan

WKR
Looking through photos again, I'm going to guess that he wasn't a really high country buck. He still came out of an area that the majority is national forest with some real spotty private land. But I am not positive where they were getting the summer photos, no good background to judge from.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey wyodan
here's a video that you'll probably recognize the country from:
[video=youtube_share;2cHAJi6iSCI]http://youtu.be/2cHAJi6iSCI[/video]
https://youtu.be/2cHAJi6iSCI

Here is the time stamped pic Oct 13th- that sounds awful early for a Hoback migration with no snow?
attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the sage pic. You're right, there is sage that big up high too but not very much.

Let me know what you find and thanks for checking.

mntnguide

WKR
I dont agree with calling poaching a "mistake"; Poaching is not a mistake...its a choice and usually a calculated one at that. It wasnt a mistake when he shot him illegally, he admitted to doing it and knowing so, all a poacher learns is how to do it differently the next time. Maybe he will change and become a better person...but this wasnt a mistake, a mistake is shooting at a bull and hitting the cow behind him because you dont wait for a clear shot, then learning to be more patient and wait from a proper shot. Not poaching a 230" buck because you get trophy fever. I guess i just dont agree with calling poaching a Mistake. I think that term should be used for an actual mistake, not a planned violation of the law that you got caught for. Just my two cents on that thought. I know Nick is a top notch guy, i just dont agree with using that word in relation to this type of subject, because it was FAR from a mistake when the act occured.

This buck lived in Hoback Ranches and was not hunted. He was half tame. I'm betting this tool bag new about the deer as he is pretty well known. It is pathetic people like this POS are called hunters

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well ya can't brag without sharing!

oh sorry Muleman, wyodan was just writing about migration timing on that herd and how they behave. I'm a mule deer nerd so that stuff's fascinating to me.

Tony, it does seem that this buck was one of those who figured out they are safer down low than up on the mountain (looks like he had a real nice buddy in the video too). If you've ever hunted the Hoback high country, you'll know what I mean.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This buck lived in Hoback Ranches and was not hunted. He was half tame. I'm betting this tool bag new about the deer as he is pretty well known. It is pathetic people like this POS are called hunters

Ya, if I read the story right, he applied for a whitetail license in the unit I can only speculate that he was doing that so he could legally be in the field during closed mule deer season.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
oh sorry Muleman, wyodan was just writing about migration timing on that herd and how they behave. I'm a mule deer nerd so that stuff's fascinating to me.

Tony, it does seem that this buck was one of those who figured out they are safer down low than up on the mountain (looks like he had a real nice buddy in the video too). If you've ever hunted the Hoback high country, you'll know what I mean.

I was there on that rd last summer and fall!

I dont agree with calling poaching a "mistake"; Poaching is not a mistake...its a choice and usually a calculated one at that. It wasnt a mistake when he shot him illegally, he admitted to doing it and knowing so, all a poacher learns is how to do it differently the next time. Maybe he will change and become a better person...but this wasnt a mistake, a mistake is shooting at a bull and hitting the cow behind him because you dont wait for a clear shot, then learning to be more patient and wait from a proper shot. Not poaching a 230" buck because you get trophy fever. I guess i just dont agree with calling poaching a Mistake. I think that term should be used for an actual mistake, not a planned violation of the law that you got caught for. Just my two cents on that thought. I know Nick is a top notch guy, i just dont agree with using that word in relation to this type of subject, because it was FAR from a mistake when the act occured.

+1...no offense meant to Nick at all, and I don't want to point fingers and/or start an argument...but I wholly agree that poaching, when accomplished by means of going to the lengths that this PoS went to to make it happen, were all calculated decisions.

No body mistakenly robs a bank, that's a calculated and planned activity...but driving up the drive-up window at the wrong bank because you brain farted, that would be a mistake.