Another reason to not cut out your phone to save weight.... Plus some advice for me.

amp713

WKR
Iphone users, if you leave your phone at home for weight savings it may be time to rethink it. If you have ever bought an app or even considered it take my advice and go buy the Topo maps app by phillip endicott (spelling...). This app allows you to download free maps after the intial app purchase, all maps can have the shading adjusted, zoom in and out, and tons of waypoints can be added (many waypoint options including a deer are useable also). The waypoints also backed up and made it through 3 phones with me, including areas in utah, colorado, and idaho. Once on the mountain this app can find you in the click of a button, EVEN with no signal (dont try it in airplane mode though), you have the option to track yourself as you move. The cener point will be you and the map will move to keep you centered as you go, with another push the app will actually adjust to your heading. Ever get lost in the dark or caught in a white out snow storm and not even know which way is north?? I have and by using this app it set me 15 feet from the truck/camp each time. Another amazing feature I loved was by setting a ridge as the center cursor and by clicking on an in app tool it shaded the areas you couldnt see from that ridge and left the rest open, so if i had a certain basin i wanted to glass I could pick ridges from home and decide where i had the best view from. It of course has tools like distance, GPS coords, and elevation at the ready. I had planned to do a large interactive online video review of it but my iphone has moved on to its next life...... If you pick it up and have any questions just let me know!

Which brings me to part two, Id used this app for so long that topo maps and GPS units became unused and quit going on trips with me. I replaced them with a lightweight external battery for my phone and by keeping track of phone useage I was fine till i got home. Now however ive swithced phones, the s5 active is waterproof, dustproof, shock resistant, great battery life, and has a second screen built to shatter and be replaced so you dont damage your main screen in the event its dropped, it sounded pretty much AMP proof so i got it. The issue ive ran into though is that i cant find my app on the android platform now, ive found a lot of map apps but have yet to find one that does anything close to the old app did, mainly i just want one that can be used and viewed without signal. Has anyone found an app on the android platform that works to your liking? Im trying to decide if the app alone is worth dealing with crappy phones and IOS or if i just need to go back to Topo maps and no interactive goodies and keep my S5......

muleman

WKR
Which brings me to part two, Id used this app for so long that topo maps and GPS units became unused and quit going on trips with me. I replaced them with a lightweight external battery for my phone and by keeping track of phone useage I was fine till i got home. Now however ive swithced phones, the s5 active is waterproof, dustproof, shock resistant, great battery life, and has a second screen built to shatter and be replaced so you dont damage your main screen in the event its dropped, it sounded pretty much AMP proof so i got it. The issue ive ran into though is that i cant find my app on the android platform now, ive found a lot of map apps but have yet to find one that does anything close to the old app did, mainly i just want one that can be used and viewed without signal. Has anyone found an app on the android platform that works to your liking? Im trying to decide if the app alone is worth dealing with crappy phones and IOS or if i just need to go back to Topo maps and no interactive goodies and keep my S5......

BackCountry Navigator.
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...ry-Navigator-(How-I-made-it-do-what-I-wanted)

gelton

WKR
I used a GPS ap on my iphone called view ranger and it is terrible so I never gave the phone/gps route a second look. One thing that I really like about my garmin montana is the birds eye feature...its like a google earth view of your area. Very easy to find meadows secluded by dark timber etc. that I would never see on a topo map or the subpar view ranger ap that I used on my iphone.

That isnt to say that a comparable gps system doesnt exist for iphones/androids it just means that if it does, I haven't found it.

Scoutlook has a pretty good mapping/gps function but I'm not sure about working with no signal. I use the free version and it's great.

Mike

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I had that back country nav and it didnt work when i lost signal? Maybe i need to play with it some more!

Trimble gps hunt pro is pretty solid. Pre download your maps to your sd card, pot it in airplane mode, turn on gps, and your good to go. Nice to be able to swap out phone batteries too.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Do i have to pre download onto a SD card for the BCN? Cuz that sounds like a giant pain ha

Do i have to pre download onto a SD card for the BCN? Cuz that sounds like a giant pain ha
Not sure about BCN, but with Trimble, you just download straight from the app. Maps are big files though, better to put them on the SD. I think it's like 30 bucks a year for unlimited downloading.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Hey gaia guys does it work without signal?? How are map systems on it??

jherald

WKR
Phone's don't work where I hunt unfortunately, it's all Sat and GPS or else you're just SOL if you get into the deep SH*T.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I got into the woods to get away from my phone!

I use it for the map system and occasionally to snap a quick pic when im in the woods... But Im not attached to mine when im in town like most people either.