Plant ID app for smart phones

Erict

WKR
Seek by iNaturalist is a highly rated FREE phone-based app. I've found it to be very easy to use, accurate and appears to collect little data from you. A friend is clearing field edges and we are using it to determine which of these plants are worth saving for the wildlife. Using this app repeatedly I can now easily identify chokecherry from alder buckthorn, etc.

You basically open the app, press the camera button and hover over the plant you are trying to ID. As you move around, the "accuracy meter" increases and within seconds you usually have a positive ID. Not sure I'd use it for edible mushroom ID but if you're curious about plants, especially when travelling to new areas, you might want to give it a try. It appears to also work on insects and other critters, but never tried that part.

I am an app minimalist, but this one seems darn useful. If you know of a better one, I'd like to hear about it.

OP
Erict

Erict

WKR
Seek is built into iPhone iOS. No need for the app, just take a photo of the plant and tap the i icon when the little stars appear on it. I use it all the time.

Seek is not built in to iPhone iOS. A "generic" version, 'Visual Look Up', is available on most newer iPhones. I'm sure both have their strengths.

dtrkyman

WKR
The built in iphone app seems decent. I am really liking the Merlin bird ID app. It records bird vocalization and ID's them, really cool to pass time when things are slow on the hunt!