Antelope Experience Question

67bronco

FNG
I have one point that I bought for WY last year. There is a good possibility that if I go this year it will be solo. I have never hunted antelope before and went on my first western hunt back in dec to NM on a cow elk muzzleloader hunt.

I want to hunt an antelope, I don't care if its a doe or buck and I honestly don't care how big it is or scores etc. My ultimate idea is to buy a few leftover doe tags for a unit with nice bucks that I can get the opportunity to see and experience. Id also plan to camp, most likely in a Kodiak tent.

Ive read to apply for a hard to draw place as No1 and then 2 that are pretty 100% draw but with limited access. But I don't want to draw a place I cant get to and then buy two doe tags that I cant fill or even have a chance at filling. Id rather not draw a buck tag at all, get a point and go hunt a few does. Im not scared to walk or spend the night out in the hunt area if that's even legal there. Can any of you point me in the direction of what I need to do? Can I buy leftover doe tags in a easy access area? From what I read most guys are looking for the trophy, im looking to go out west and hunt and learn so when I do draw a good tag, i'll have a better chance of filling it.

Thanks

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I suggest you read the draw odds for both categories, MOST doe tags go in the first or leftover draws, there are limited tags (in the least accessible areas) that make it all the way to first come first served over the counter sales. That said even the harder to access areas for doe tags favor those willing to not just road hunt.

Nothing says you have to apply in the same places for each tag type, you just have to plan on moving units during the hunt if you draw both. You’ll have to decide your strategy there on whether you even apply for a buck.

If you want to hunt doe you should apply first choice for tags you think you should draw with a back up second choice you think you can draw (as a second choice selection). The overall availability falls each step you wait (first choice, second choice, leftover draw) to grab tags that are statistically available at that step.

zacattack

WKR
I have one point that I bought for WY last year. There is a good possibility that if I go this year it will be solo. I have never hunted antelope before and went on my first western hunt back in dec to NM on a cow elk muzzleloader hunt.

I want to hunt an antelope, I don't care if its a doe or buck and I honestly don't care how big it is or scores etc. My ultimate idea is to buy a few leftover doe tags for a unit with nice bucks that I can get the opportunity to see and experience. Id also plan to camp, most likely in a Kodiak tent.

Ive read to apply for a hard to draw place as No1 and then 2 that are pretty 100% draw but with limited access. But I don't want to draw a place I cant get to and then buy two doe tags that I cant fill or even have a chance at filling. Id rather not draw a buck tag at all, get a point and go hunt a few does. Im not scared to walk or spend the night out in the hunt area if that's even legal there. Can any of you point me in the direction of what I need to do? Can I buy leftover doe tags in a easy access area? From what I read most guys are looking for the trophy, im looking to go out west and hunt and learn so when I do draw a good tag, i'll have a better chance of filling it.

Thanks

I’m in the exact same position you are. I decided to forgo trying to draw a buck tag with one point and put in for 2 doe/fawn tags. I spent hours looking at draw percentages, number of available tags for a unit and public land access, in that order. The good news is Wyoming game and fish website is pretty well laid out. In the end I applied for a unit that has an 80% draw percentage with easy public land access as first choice and one with 100% draw odds but with harder to access public lands as second choice. From my research this seemed like a solid strategy.

I would rather draw something and have time to plan rather than wait and hope. As a fellow first timer all I can say is good luck!

OP

67bronco

FNG
zac thats kinda what i was thinking of doing as well.

My question is do points get used on does or just buck tags? From my understanding if i dont draw my number 1 choice i dont lose any points and i gain 1 for next year. Is that correct?

zacattack

WKR
Doe draw doesn’t use any points or gain points. So, you will have to buy another bonus point when they are available. I still think it’s the best option for guys like us with few points and just want to get out there for the first time.

wytx

WKR
Look over the odds for your PP 2020. Apply for a doe tag in an area you may draw in 2020.
Apply for an area with good numbers of doe tags and access for your other tag.
After the draw look into leftover doe tags for your areas or close by. You can get 2 more in the leftover draw.
All your doe tags could be for different areas if you wanted.

All doe fawn tags are random draw and do not use your PP. Camping is always hit or miss but Sept is usually better weather. Antelope country will be BLM lands mostly and camping almost anywhere is allowed.

Rich M

WKR
I went in 2017 - area was 100% draw then but is not now. LOL! Still low access unit.

Did the doe tags (had 4) and shot 2 yearlings, should have had 2 does on top of that - all on opening day. After that all I saw was bucks - had multiple shot opps on bucks, from 25 to 200 yards.

Get the best unit you can - spend the extra money and get 1 tag for each - I regret not doing that. Would have had the largest buck we saw scouting and could have done in a couple others I saw bedded in easy to stalk areas. Next time...

I wouldn't play the points game unless you are really sure you are going back.

OP

67bronco

FNG
Thanks for the help fellas. I found a few units im interested in, few 100% ones and a few a little harder to draw. I was just a little confused on when points get used and accumulated etc. Time to put in and see what happens, then there is always the leftovers. A trip out west is never wasted, always a learning experience especially when you don't get to pull the trigger. Ive got a few buddies that say they want to go but in the past ive found at the last minute, something always seems to happen. Im planning this as a solo trip and if they can go, so be it. Good luck to all of you