AnTi Action, Failure to Feed.

Now that I am reloading for my 6 CM and stretching the COAL out longer than factory ammo, I am having failure to feed’s, with the tip of the bullet catching under the feed ramp. I was out shooting in the mountains today and had half of the rounds catch on the ramp this way.

I’m using a HNT 26 chassis with MDT Polymer mags. The 112 Match Burners are loaded 2.850”, with the mags allowing up to 2.880”.

Taking the follower and base out of the mag and looking up towards the action you could see a couple thou of interference from the ramp. Even with factory Hornady 108’s I would occasionally get a hang up as well.

I will not tolerate having any doubt whether my rifle will function or not, especially after my Kimber experience. So, after a bit of research here and on Snipershide, I brought out the dremel. With the barrel and action in a barrel vyce, I used a round dremel tool and carefully used the dremel on high speed to put a notch in the ramp. It was easy and didn’t take long to get a perfect half moon notch into the ramp.

Multiple function checks has shown that this has eliminated the issue and will allow me to run mag length ammo.

IMG_1550.jpegIMG_1540.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1540.jpeg
    IMG_1540.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 46

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Perfect solution. I am surprised you had that issue. Would have figured it was already opened up. I have had to do that to SA Rem 700 when swapping it to a short mag.

I guess the plastic mags push the bullet forward a little more because of the thickness of the walls. I was loading some 6.5 creed with 150s and could not fit them in the plastic mag at all.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Perfect solution. I am surprised you had that issue. Would have figured it was already opened up. I have had to do that to SA Rem 700 when swapping it to a short mag.

I guess the plastic mags push the bullet forward a little more because of the thickness of the walls. I was loading some 6.5 creed with 150s and could not fit them in the plastic mag at all.
You’re most likely right about the poly mags with their thicker walls. I don’t want to run metal mags, so this was the best solution for me.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I had to do exactly this to a factory 700 and older bighorn Origin.

Newer gen's of Bighorns have the notch. Surprised that this AnTi did not. I believe most customs do now.

To any future readers that have this issue, OP has it right, this is the way to fix it. Do it with reckless abandon, no hesitation. The ammo never even touches the bottom half of most feed ramps.

Attachments

• IMG_5797.jpeg
    IMG_5797.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5796.jpeg
    IMG_5796.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

crich

WKR
Im surprised the 108's hung up too. How much do you think you took off the ramp?

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Im surprised the 108's hung up too. How much do you think you took off the ramp?
I didn't measure, but I could. I just looked up through the mag and scribed with a permanent marker the area of the ramp that was overhanging the mag. The 108's could have hung up if they moved forward in the magazine before chambering. With that interference, any length of bullet could have hung up if they were forward in the mag.

crich

WKR
I didn't measure, but I could. I just looked up through the mag and scribed with a permanent marker the area of the ramp that was overhanging the mag. The 108's could have hung up if they moved forward in the magazine before chambering. With that interference, any length of bullet could have hung up if they were forward in the mag.
No need just curious. Even I dont run into issues I always check the relationship between the mag and the ramp because of what you mentioned. Even if you have a bunch of room if that round slides forward and can hang up on the feed ramp thats no bueno.

Side note how do you like the hnt26?

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I love it. I cannot see using a traditional stock anymore. I wont sell my Fieldcraft.. but also wont be moving to a Rokstock, as tempting as it is. The HNT 26 with its full Arca and Folding stock are great for my needs of packing through brush and in the mountains. I also shoot from a tripod more than not.
Here is the build of this rifle in the thread linked below, from Inception to completion and then reconfigured.

crich

WKR
I love it. I cannot see using a traditional stock anymore. I wont sell my Fieldcraft.. but also wont be moving to a Rokstock, as tempting as it is. The HNT 26 with its full Arca and Folding stock are great for my needs of packing through brush and in the mountains. I also shoot from a tripod more than not.
Here is the build of this rifle in the thread linked below, from Inception to completion and then reconfigured.

I carried my buddies cross last year on Montague after I left my ammo on my workbench at my house and fell in love with a folding stock. I wasnt crazy about the cold metal so Ive been eyeballing these but havent put my hands on one yet. Glad to hear it works for you. 👍

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I carried my buddies cross last year on Montague after I left my ammo on my workbench at my house and fell in love with a folding stock. I wasnt crazy about the cold metal so Ive been eyeballing these but havent put my hands on one yet. Glad to hear it works for you. 👍
I also held a Cross and a XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium for a while last December in PWS and thought the same thing. The carbon HNT 26 feels nothing like either. No question I would drop a Tikka or Rem 700 action a HNT over any other chassis.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I had this issue as well. Defiance cut the mag cut for free and paid for shipping both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know I was on the same page as what their solution was as well. Also glad it was easy enough to do in my shop and didn’t have to send it down to them, as it’s my only action. Not all of us have multiple AnTi’s 😜

Kurts86

WKR
I had this issue last year with my ANTI-X as well. Altus cut the notch and it fixed all issues for the cost of shipping in less than a week. Defiance also offered to do the work but it took them 2 days to reply to my email and the action was already in the mail.

Kurts86

WKR
The notch was always an option but for some reason the bdl cut was far more common for the anti actions sold by Altus, bugholes, etc and stocked by most gunsmiths.

The custom order time for defiance was over a year in 2022 when I got mine so buying a standard anti action was the only reasonable way to go.

7mm-08

WKR
I admire your practical approach to this problem, which is a perfect solution. My problem is that my "huevos" aren't of sufficient size for me to touch a dremel to my AnTi action. All I could see would be dollars flying out the window.

Jbuck

FNG
Now that I am reloading for my 6 CM and stretching the COAL out longer than factory ammo, I am having failure to feed’s, with the tip of the bullet catching under the feed ramp. I was out shooting in the mountains today and had half of the rounds catch on the ramp this way.

I’m using a HNT 26 chassis with MDT Polymer mags. The 112 Match Burners are loaded 2.850”, with the mags allowing up to 2.880”.

Taking the follower and base out of the mag and looking up towards the action you could see a couple thou of interference from the ramp. Even with factory Hornady 108’s I would occasionally get a hang up as well.

I will not tolerate having any doubt whether my rifle will function or not, especially after my Kimber experience. So, after a bit of research here and on Snipershide, I brought out the dremel. With the barrel and action in a barrel vyce, I used a round dremel tool and carefully used the dremel on high speed to put a notch in the ramp. It was easy and didn’t take long to get a perfect half moon notch into the ramp.

Multiple function checks has shown that this has eliminated the issue and will allow me to run mag length ammo.
It's too late now, but wouldn't using a magazine with a binder plate fix the issue too? I have actions that require mags with binder plate to do the same thing. If I try to use the longer mags the tips with jam the same as yours.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
It's too late now, but wouldn't using a magazine with a binder plate fix the issue too? I have actions that require mags with binder plate to do the same thing. If I try to use the longer mags the tips with jam the same as yours.
Thanks for the reply. Thankfully I’m perfectly happy with my mod and it functions great. I want to use the MDT poly mags for the HNT 26 and not aware of any poly mags that have a binder plate.