any appliance guys on here? need a new set

Jacack

WKR
in the market for a new washer and dryer. wondering if anyone on here works in the repair department or sales and has any insight.

wife wants front loader only because she is 4ft 8 and has to use a stool and salad tongs to get clothes out of our old top loader. i had front loaders in a other house we had and didnt have the smell issue so many people seem to complain about.

looking for something that will not need constant repairs and not to worried about all the bells and whistles ( no idea why you would need a set with bluetooth)

thanks
Jared

We just went through this and bought a Wirlpool at a local place that has a discount center. Scratch and Dent or return stuff. We like it, but it is top load with an agitator, which is what my wife wanted. We have had bad luck with the front loads

ODB

WKR
I hate my agitator-less washer. And would never buy one again, nor recommend one. Your clothes simply do not get as clean as a washer with an agitator. They kind of swirl around and water does not get forced through the fabric. They claim they are “easier” on clothes, but I never remember my clothes falling apart in the wash. What a joke.

your wife will hate clothes and towels that do not come clean or smell fresh much more than using a step stool and salad tongs.

I have a set of Samsung that worked well for the first 5 years. In the past year(6th) I have had to replace the lint trap filter, motor tensioner pulley and heating element/thermister in the dryer. I probably spent $150 on all the parts and did the work myself. Not sure it that's good or not.

I know planned obsolescence is real and that is what that felt like.

The washer has been reliable to this point.

wapitibob

WKR
Kitchen aide; had a set for over 20 years and sold it for a front load set maybe 10 years ago. I was in machining for 30 years. Clothes infused with coolant (water saluable oil) and they cleaned up fine.

I think that there are only a handful appliance manufacturers that make all appliances and then brand them as something different. I think the best brand for no bells and whistles and longevity is Speed Queen, not sure if they make a front load, but front load washers are more prone to leaking.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I hate my agitator-less washer. And would never buy one again, nor recommend one. Your clothes simply do not get as clean as a washer with an agitator. They kind of swirl around and water does not get forced through the fabric.
My wife bought a new top load washer from Costco two years ago that didn't have the agitator. It was just about useless, so we took it back and got the same one with an agitator. The agitator on this model does nothing. The washer still barely moves back and forth, and if you use any type of powdered detergent or baking soda, it comes out clumped to the clothes. I even tried mixing them with hot water first, and the clothes still come out streaked with it. After the washer starts washing I open it up and half my clothes are still above the water line. Stupid. My socks come out as dirty as they go in. These so-called "high efficiency" top load washers are useless. Unless we can find a regular old model that actually fills up with water AND agitates, we'll be looking for a front load model.

Reactions: ODB
The old stuff lasted 20+ years, the new stuff lasts 5 years. We did the front load and agitator-less low water usage stuff. You could wash a hooded sweatshirt and half of it wouldn’t even get wet. We now have an upright with agitator that uses lots of water. It’s a GE brand model.

My wife bought a new top load washer from Costco two years ago that didn't have the agitator. It was just about useless, so we took it back and got the same one with an agitator. The agitator on this model does nothing. The washer still barely moves back and forth, and if you use any type of powdered detergent or baking soda, it comes out clumped to the clothes. I even tried mixing them with hot water first, and the clothes still come out streaked with it. After the washer starts washing I open it up and half my clothes are still above the water line. Stupid. My socks come out as dirty as they go in. These so-called "high efficiency" top load washers are useless. Unless we can find a regular old model that actually fills up with water AND agitates, we'll be looking for a front load model.
The Whirlpool we just bought with the agitator works like the old ones. It has a glass lid and it actually fills with water and does it’s thing, like it should. Just FYI for when you go looking for a new one

Reactions: ODB
Stay away from Samsung. An appliance tech just told me Speed queen is the way to go now a day but I have no experience with them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The Whirlpool we just bought with the agitator works like the old ones. It has a glass lid and it actually fills with water and does it’s thing, like it should. Just FYI for when you go looking for a new one
Ours is a Whirlpool too. But I feel like it should have come with a raccoon that I throw in for agitation. I even set it on "deep water wash" and my clothes are still above the water line halfway through washing. The booklet even says to "not add additional water" as it's supposed to work that way. SMH

Sorry OP, none of us are really appliance guys, just guys with opinions lol. I will say I have been told by a local place here in Arkansas that Speed Queen is the way to go. Supposedly they make all the commercial stuff and are no frills washing machines

CorbLand

WKR
Speed Queen. I know a couple people that have them and most are on 15 years with nothing more than basic maintenance.

pjh360

FNG
Not an appliance guy but...
When our dryer crapped out earlier this year, the wife decided to replace both the washer and dryer. The salesman at the appliance store told her that if her old washing machine was still running, DO NOT buy a new one, and definitely not front loading. He said she wouldn't be happy with how (un)clean her clothes would be, and the computerized water management/energy saving features don't last 5 years before needing replacement.