Any Boise, Idahoans out there?

TaperPin

WKR
Lived there for 7 years - its better than a lot of cities it’s size, or at least not worse. There is a fairly large historic district in the north part of town thats somewhat unique for a western city. While living there I was 8 minutes from a golf course, 5 minutes from one driving range, 10 minutes from another. A great grocery store was 5 minutes away, the big indoor mall was 10 minutes, ski area 30 min, and I literally had really nice mountain bike trails that started all along the northern part of the city available out my back door. Fly fishing near town isn’t great, and getting away from crowds while camping means something a couple hours away. Nobody writes magazine articles about hunting near Boise.

The California influx of retired and remote workers combined with the factories and manufacturing relocating from California means a lot of folks sold their 2000 sqft houses in CA for $1.2m and bought a 2500 sqft house in Boise for $800k. Exact same thing has happened in Reno.

if Someone had a small camper to take on weekend trips up north or to the East they’d get more chances to see the state for what it’s famous for.

Gobbler36

WKR
I love Idaho and what it has to offer but soon in the near future, I am, and would advise to start looking at other areas of the state or other neighboring states all together its being over run the mountains are no longer as peaceful and the traffic and crowds just to go grab dinner with the wife is absurd now days
not to mention how expensive it has become with all the yuppie cash buyers moving in
just my .02

ODB

WKR
It is. It’s been kinda interesting watching the land grab between Eagle and Star. Both city’s threw their flags as far as they could . I think Eagle won the battle so far with the annexation of Avimor, but Star is working north too.

Man I was just up there this weekend (Avimor) and saw they are prepping a bunch of stuff on the west side of 55 now. And there is a sign for houses (east side ) from a mere 800k to 3 mil!!

Star will explode when that 16 extension is done.

the most frustrating part to me is the high-density stuff. Over by Winco on chinden they want to stuff 500 units in there. Every other damn corner is getting the same treatment in meridian.

it kind of reminds me of what is happening to some (formerly) small beach towns I’ve lived in or gone to as a kid. Everyone wants their little piece of heaven, cities love the taxes so they just build build build so everyone can be “happy.” Meanwhile the places simply fall apart from being over saturated.

Man I was just up there this weekend (Avimor) and saw they are prepping a bunch of stuff on the west side of 55 now. And there is a sign for houses (east side ) from a mere 800k to 3 mil!!

Star will explode when that 16 extension is done.

the most frustrating part to me is the high-density stuff. Over by Winco on chinden they want to stuff 500 units in there. Every other damn corner is getting the same treatment in meridian.

it kind of reminds me of what is happening to some (formerly) small beach towns I’ve lived in or gone to as a kid. Everyone wants their little piece of heaven, cities love the taxes so they just build build build so everyone can be “happy.” Meanwhile the places simply fall apart from being over saturated.
Have you seen the connection they are making from 16 over towards Avimor? It's going to connect Spring Valley with 16 and probably end up having a connection with 55 somewhere around Avimor. This will shortcut 55 and Eagle Road and give them a direct connection with I84. The funny thing is all of the Emmett folks thought they were adding that offramp for them. I think Avimor is 8k houses and Spring Valley is 7k.
I was a pipe superintendent on the first phase of Avimor in 2006. At the time, we were all laughing at the ridiculous idea that there was a plan for that many houses. It's not so funny anymore.

ODB

WKR
Have you seen the connection they are making from 16 over towards Avimor? It's going to connect Spring Valley with 16 and probably end up having a connection with 55 somewhere around Avimor. This will shortcut 55 and Eagle Road and give them a direct connection with I84. The funny thing is all of the Emmett folks thought they were adding that offramp for them. I think Avimor is 8k houses and Spring Valley is 7k.
I was a pipe superintendent on the first phase of Avimor in 2006. At the time, we were all laughing at the ridiculous idea that there was a plan for that many houses. It's not so funny anymore.

Good grief. No, not funny at all. Insanity.

idcuda

WKR
What needs to be said is that folks who espouse that sentiment, generally lack perspective and have never lived in a larger metropolitan area where commutes are significantly more than an hour each way every day.
Yeah, there's some of that, but that's not what I hear, generally. I hear that it used to be a great place to live and now it's not as great. There are many reasons for that; covered well in other replies. Not trying to be argumentative, but saying that people need perspective is pretty condescending. The generational locals I know have been to big cities and don't like them. It's like everything else - when culture and values change, many people will bristle.

There was a simple, low-key, inexpensive way of life in Idaho and it's now gone. I still think there's good balance here, but the trend is not positive in my opinion.

Yeah, there's some of that, but that's not what I hear, generally. I hear that it used to be a great place to live and now it's not as great. There are many reasons for that; covered well in other replies. Not trying to be argumentative, but saying that people need perspective is pretty condescending. The generational locals I know have been to big cities and don't like them. It's like everything else - when culture and values change, many people will bristle.

There was a simple, low-key, inexpensive way of life in Idaho and it's now gone. I still think there's good balance here, but the trend is not positive in my opinion.
Most of the new residents I talk to have a very bright outlook on how things are here. Most of the long time residents have a pretty negative view of how things are going.

7mm-08

WKR

Sorry, folks, no condescension intended with that observation. My point is that our time (too much) spent in some of the Big 12 cities in the U.S. gave us perspective on commuting, which is a waste of one's time/life. New York was the worst with two-hour, fifteen-minute commutes (each way) on average. I agree that the Valley has grown and changed not for the better, but we can't unring that bell. Change is as change does - just look to Missoula and Bozeman. I'll stand by my statement that Boise remains a good place to live - not as good as it was when we moved here 23 years ago, but still a hell of a lot better than anyplace I've ever lived in our 10 geographical career moves over 33 years. My preference would be true, rural Idaho (think Mackay), but as we age, health care issues weigh into that calculation. The post by Customweld is spot on.

Ralphie

WKR
Boise and other spots in Idaho are great. Close to sweet hunting. Residents have it REALLY good there hunting wise. The weather is good. Mild winters. Lots of money to be made there. Good schools and tons of fun activities.

ODB

WKR
Boise and other spots in Idaho are great. Close to sweet hunting. Residents have it REALLY good there hunting wise. The weather is good. Mild winters. Lots of money to be made there. Good schools and tons of fun activities.

Where’s all the money? Where are you hiding it?

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Where’s all the money? Where are you hiding it?
Most folks I'm around make, what I consider, good money. Mid-late 20s, married, buying houses, starting families. I tend to only be friends with people that have decent heads on their shoulders, though. I also see a lot of dumb people who dont make good money but don't associate with them. There are good opportunities to make money in the Boise area.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

idahodave

WKR
I live in Boise. It sucks compared to what it was 25 years ago…but where is that not true?

Boise still beats 99 percent of the rest of the cities/towns in the US. Idaho as a whole is the greatest state in the lower 48. If you disagree, I have to assume your mom dropped you on your head as a baby.

Dave

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I grew up in a small town in CA, it was such a good spot to be. Now all my childhood fishing and hunting spots are condos and parking lots. The new locals love it because they came from the Bay Area. Everywhere in this country to turning to sh*t, according to most people.

I live in Boise. It sucks compared to what it was 25 years ago…but where is that not true?

Boise still beats 99 percent of the rest of the cities/towns in the US. Idaho as a whole is the greatest state in the lower 48. If you disagree, I have to assume your mom dropped you on your head as a baby.

Dave

You’ve probably never been to Wyoming And I say that as an Idaho resident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk