Any College wrestling fans as we head into the post season?

jmez

WKR
Yeah nothing mellow about TnT Brands. Incredible wrestlers and coaches, but they put so much extra pressure and make things seem like live or die....and ultimately you see many great Iowa wrestlers just melt down (like you can see with any wrestler at a high level). But the PSU vibe is pretty interesting......Cael is pretty quiet and closed about his techniques, but it's a completely different approach. He always talks about "having fun"....never heard Brands (or Gable) ever mention anything about fun!
Real Woods this year comes to mind.

Idaboy

WKR
Real Woods this year comes to mind.
Yeah, for sure, he definitely has a different mind set. His interviews are great....and I am not knocking Iowa, amazing program. And I think the TnT have a much more measured approach than 10 or 15 yrs ago....you ever see the documentary "Terry", great film

LostArra

WKR
174??
Three national champs on one side of the bracket. (Lewis, Griffith, Starocci)
Starocci falls to #9 seed.

jmez nailed it at 133. Fix #1

jmez

WKR
Starocci got hosed. Yes he didn't wrestle in the B1G, but come on. He;s hands down the best wrestler in the country. Total lack of respect there. Doesn't matter, he worked Lewis earlier. He's on another level.

LostArra

WKR
The people doing the seeding will point to their "seeding matrix" as an excuse but the matrix must be flawed. Griffith didn't take a huge hit for sitting out the Big 10 final.

When I was coaching my feeling was you can't be seeded to a championship. You've got to beat some tough opponents; first round or the final. It doesn't matter.

Just came across this thread. Big wrestling fan from Dundee MI, Braeden Davis's home school! Been having a blast watching Braeden, Casey Swiderski and Stoney Buell all season. Three HS teammates from a small school getting it done on the big stage.

Have to chuckle at the baby face assasin comments with Braeden. He's a good well mannered kid that has been at the top in every age group growing up! Kids a winner! Hope he keeps it rolling at NCAA's! I wouldn't be surprised to see Casey make a heck of a run at 149 after losing in semi's at Big 12's.

OP
J
Braeden getting the #1 seed.....ouch. I looked at the brackets. Yes, it's the NCAA Championships. But every weight class seems....Well....brutal.

Just so many good kids at this level. Braeden does NOT have an easy path.

RE: Swiderski. Think he's a Redneck? I didn't know he was Michigan. Dad raises/trains Labs?

Heard that O'Toole coming out to Idaho for a Bear hunt in April.

My good buddies kid grew up with Jake VanDee from Nebraska. Another Hunting/Fishing fool.

Levi Haines is kinda die hard Hunter/Fisher too.

I still follow Kaid Brock from Okie State. He was so exciting to watch. He kinda quit the game is lives in a treestand now

Braeden getting the #1 seed.....ouch. I looked at the brackets. Yes, it's the NCAA Championships. But every weight class seems....Well....brutal.

Just so many good kids at this level. Braeden does NOT have an easy path.

RE: Swiderski. Think he's a Redneck? I didn't know he was Michigan. Dad raises/trains Labs?

Heard that O'Toole coming out to Idaho for a Bear hunt in April.

My good buddies kid grew up with Jake VanDee from Nebraska. Another Hunting/Fishing fool.

Levi Haines is kinda die hard Hunter/Fisher too.

I still follow Kaid Brock from Okie State. He was so exciting to watch. He kinda quit the game is lives in a treestand now
I didn't know there were any easy paths at NCAA's!! Lol! I didn't think Braeden had the athletic ability to compete with the top end guys, but he's proved me wrong so far! He's just always in good position, doesn't get to worked up and has been clutch in OT. That's a good combo!

Yeah, Casey's dad trains working labs in Michigan. They are some pretty high level dogs from what I understand.

Braeden, Casey, Tyler Swiderski (Central Michigan), Kaden Chinavare (CMU) Ty and Casey's cousin all D1 wrestlers, hunt and all around outdoor kids.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't know there were any easy paths at NCAA's!! Lol! I didn't think Braeden had the athletic ability to compete with the top end guys, but he's proved me wrong so far! He's just always in good position, doesn't get to worked up and has been clutch in OT. That's a good combo!

Yeah, Casey's dad trains working labs in Michigan. They are some pretty high level dogs from what I understand.

Braeden, Casey, Tyler Swiderski (Central Michigan), Kaden Chinavare (CMU) Ty and Casey's cousin all D1 wrestlers, hunt and all around outdoor kids.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Braeden told me hes pretty bummed he cant have his truck on campus as a freshman, and having No vehicle really limits his hunting opportunities.

LostArra

WKR
Braeden showed some immaturity with his post match tantrum in the quarters. Not a typical Penn St look although they usually don't lose. 😄

Starocci made Lewis look like the 9 seed.

OP
J
I've been watching quite a bit. I agree.....PSU generally just eat it. He was scrambling so hard and trying to show the Ref and get a Locked Hands call pretty bad. Kinda boring match. I figured it was not going to be terribly positive wrestling from his knees so long. Yes....Figs is tough to get in on.

Kinda Chalk on many fronts. I didn't expect Truax to run too deep on the front.

Carter looked his best vs Mekhi. Other matches were 12-6 and 5-3. Best and most mobile he's looked yet.

Aaron loves him some Jesus. And Jesus loves bonus points! He and O'Toole have techs or pins all the way through so far?

I am thrilled my man Levi still looking great. He may have drawn Andonian in semis?

I lost money on Bastida. Was high on him. Gassed out and got snuck with 2 seconds left. But it was legit.

Anyone impress you or anyone really UN impressive?

OP
J
Nagao kinda STB from Go. Hoping Kasak runs deep, but drew Arrington I think. I don't see Tyler winning that one.

I expected more out of Foca too. STB

Some really banged up kids gutting it out. Everyone seems to be limping, bleeding, taped or bolted together.

Last edited:

kravguy

WKR
ESPN blew this by having Cormier commentate. No good doing it in the UFC, even worse w college wrestling.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk