Any info on Standing Rock reservation in SD

Ok, the plan would be to use OnX and that’s good to know. Are you saying there is state land within the reservation too? That sounds very confusing if so!

Ok, the plan would be to use OnX and that’s good to know. Are you saying there is state land within the reservation too? That sounds very confusing if so!
Yes there is state land with deeded land with private land mixed in with tribal land and tribal leases. Then you will have guys that run you off the tribal land you can hunt but they dont think you should

There are 3 types of tribal land. OnX shows all tribal land as one color. It is a pita because not only are there 3 types of tribal, plots/wiha, ACOE, BLM, grasslands, and private land. You can only hunt 1 type of tribal land without getting permission. All the other tribal you need permission. And all the other types are off limits.

If you could hunt it for a few years in a row to get access figured out it would probably be ok. But if not it doesn't seem worth it. I feel like Montana has the same quality or better but easier to figure out access.

Did not use any mapping software. Many of those hunts were with friends that are members. Would try mapping stuff now, not sure if all the Rez stuff is on there.

I’d not be afraid to knock on doors and ask for permission, we got about 90% yes. The deer can be anywhere. WT in particular are thick along brushy river/creek bottoms and on the scrub oak looking covered draws. But plenty are out in the plains where there is some cover.

MD loved the semi open cottonwood river bottoms, not the thick stuff and pretty much everywhere else. Areas with lots of draws running different directions held game, guessing they could always get out of the wind. My hunts were 7+ years ago, hunted both Rez’s about 15x. If you draw, pm me, and I‘ll give you a couple areas to look at.

I drew a tag this year. If you're willing to share any info please PM me. Thanks

Sure. Just got back from a 5 day camping trip. Give me a few days and I‘ll circle back to you. I’m pretty tired, so bump me if don’t reach out in a couple days.

I lived there from 2010 to 2014. Hunted deeded land with state tags and tribal land with resident/nonmember tags from the tribe. Pretty tough
Hunt if you do not know people or the lay of the land. Don’t expect
Big bucks as it is way overhunted and mismanaged. Biggest buck I killed in that period was a 132” whitetail.

Back