Any M5 rain gear experiences?

crich

WKR
So these have been out for a little bit now. Has anyone had experience really putting them through the ringer? Im curious how these have been holding up compared to some of the other tried and true rain gear lines.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought the pants last year ran them through the jungles…they have done well but did get two small holes going through heavy brush busting…outside of a rubber suit in this area everything sustains abuse to some degree and fails with damage…I felt money well spent stay dry for the most part, are durable as you can get for a lite setup and design is good…

22lr

WKR
I've used the M5 pants a bit. With gaiters they have held up really well for a good bit of brush busting. They keep me dry. I've got maybe 10 days in the field with em so far. I dont have the jacket, maybe someday. But my ECWS jacket won't die so im not in a rush to replace it.

I love the waist adjustability on the SG pants, but I do wish the M5 had a better pocket access feature. You just have to use the size zipper to reach in/around. Now I get it, it saves weight and helps eliminate one more place water can get in, but a pocket or something would be nice for days when my rain pants never come off.

OP
crich

crich

WKR
I've used the M5 pants a bit. With gaiters they have held up really well for a good bit of brush busting. They keep me dry. I've got maybe 10 days in the field with em so far. I dont have the jacket, maybe someday. But my ECWS jacket won't die so im not in a rush to replace it.

I love the waist adjustability on the SG pants, but I do wish the M5 had a better pocket access feature. You just have to use the size zipper to reach in/around. Now I get it, it saves weight and helps eliminate one more place water can get in, but a pocket or something would be nice for days when my rain pants never come off.
These seem like a happy medium weight wise. How long do you think you had them consistently exposed to moisture?

chwebb03

FNG
I have had the M5 rain jacket for a while now. While my experience has been good I do not have any experience with other high quality rain jackets to really compare it to. Durability seems to be great. Fit is also great. I am 6'0 185 and run the large. It is not too baggy when throwing it over a t-shirt and fits great over a a hoody and puffy for wind protection. Spent about 5 hours hiking in the rain with it and never got wet underneath. Did seem to wet out a little under shoulder straps and waist belt but again I'm not sure if others do this as well under a long period of rain. Water did seem to build up in hand pockets and had to move phone to pack. Drys out fast and the pit zips are great to dump heat. Hood fit is good.Again this has been my first high end rain jacket so take my experience for what it is. Also packs up nice in the hood and stows well in a pack pocket.

22lr

WKR
These seem like a happy medium weight wise. How long do you think you had them consistently exposed to moisture?
I haven't had a good all day rain yet, but I've had a solid 4hr drizzle/busting through wet brush. I then set up a tarp cover and sat on the wet ground for the next 5 hours with no saturation.