any of you all use the Kuiu ultra 3000

Luked

WKR
been looking at packs for a while and looking at this one pretty hard. have any of you used it that you could give me some opinions on it by chance

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
cool thanks justin.
I'll have to take a look

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Ultra 3000, nice pack, very lightweight, great bag, I was very happy with it UNTIL I got a Kifaru Bikini. The Kifaru belt is more comfortable, wraps your hips better transfering weight to your legs. The Kuiu belt is padded but the padding is stiffer, felt like I was bruising my hips before it was tight enough.

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I think RuverRat has one. He's put it to good use several times I believe. PM him if you want.

Jager

WKR
Perhaps look at the Icon Pro, a gen ahead of the Ultra.

I find the Pro a great setup, and yes I have worn both the K Bikini and Duplex.

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
I was also looking at the Ultra 3000 but probably gonna go with the Icon Pro 1850 and run it with the XXL dry bag to pack in my gear for a 3-4 day hunt.
3aa132de16017cb8b4e7c7bce4ed0847.jpg

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I was thinking the same thing also of getting the 1850 and the dry bag and try it out and if it isn't big enough I could always step up to the 5200 icon and just buy the bag only. I believe if I am thinking right that the Icon line is all the same suspension system so if a bigger bag was needed that I could just buy a bag later down the road

I have the Ultra 6000 (same frame & suspension, different bag is all) and I've put it through its paces over the last few months with anything from 5lbs-100lbs scouting, hauling camp in, day hunting, hauling camp & deer out, and shed hunting. I think the 3000 would do well for a day pack or for light loads, but it isn't worth a crap with any kind of heavy load. My current selection of camp gear is on the heavy side and adding a weapon, water, food, and tripod & spotting scope to it is too much for the Ultra. The waistbelt lacks power pulls and is dang near impossible to keep from slipping, which leads to all kinds of discomfort. I'd definitely look to at least buy the Icon Pro (haven't tried it, but heard it's a vast improvement). If money is the issue, my advice is to save and wait! I bought the Ultra because it was cheaper, and now I'm stuck with a 350$ pack I don't care for and I'm going to end up spending the extra $$ to get the pack I should have in the first place.It's a good pack but don't expect it to perform well with heavy loads.

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
According to the Icon Pro video the suspension is a bit more on the beefy side compared to the Ultra and that's why I've decided on the Pro.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
According to the Icon Pro video the suspension is a bit more on the beefy side compared to the Ultra and that's why I've decided on the Pro.

The Kuiu Icon Pro is the exactly SAME FRAME as the Ultra...the only difference is they upgraded the waistbelt and shoulder straps. While it does help some its not the miracle cure to make the pack work like I was hoping for....lipstick on a pig comes to mind. :) While I actually really like the pack for backpacking and packrafting trips due to its low weight and relatively high volume and beable to carry packraft externally pretty well, I find it lacking with heavier loads. Just not as comfy as many other packs on the market today. Granted you pay for it, but like I've said before I'd rather hunt with a $300 rifle and a $700 backpack than a $700 rifle and a $300 backpack.

It's a pretty good pack for the money. Used one in Alaska this summer on a horseback Dall sheep hunt. The bag and frame come separate easily to put in a dry bag full of meat. Carried a couple sheep quarters no problem. You just cinch the bag back up after loading the meat. Put a whole antelope in an XL Kuiu Dry Bag earlier this month with neck meat, back straps, etc. Did not bone out the quarters and it fit in the bag fine and Ultra 3000 performed well on the one mile hike back to the jeep. There are packs with more comfortable belts and suspensions for sure but for a lightweight pack this one works pretty damn well. I probably wouldn't want to take off on a week long backpack hunt in rough country with it however.

Jcberg

Lil-Rokslider
I own the Ultra 3000 and used it extensively thru archery season. I also own the Icon Pro 5200 and would TOTALLY recommend the Pro over the Ultra. The waist belt is a HUGE improvement. It is stiffer, more padded, and the power pulls are fantastic. I hauled two elk with the Pro and had it so stuffed with boned out elk once that I had to sit on it to get the zipper closed. I estimated that load at 85-90 lbs and although it was heavy it was comfortable. SPEND THE EXTRA $100 and BUY THE PRO! You will never regret it, I've owned both. Good luck!:D

I've got a 6000 for sale in the classified section. It sucks down super small for a day pack