Any of you using Initial Ascent Pack?

brn2hnt

WKR
The problem with Brian’s reviews is arrogance (that might be a little harsh) but it’s almost like he doesn’t know different packs fit people different… it’s misleading for those who don’t know and are taking his advice as sound advice, he either doesn’t know or disclaim how different packs fit different people… it’s not just packs either, but I’ll stay on topic, haha

friends don’t let friends take Gritty advice very seriously

I mean… the flip flopping on what he thinks is good based on who is buttering the bread is enough to get most people to avoid what he says is good.

But based on the comments on various YT vids, there’s a lot of folks who have only found him after the most recent change in… hunting companions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A dream has to start somewhere so KUDOS to the IA team for taking that initial step.........its amazing how many people will 'down' a company when they have never even tried their products........
i don't see anyone talking IA down, but i totally agree, kudos to them for jumping into such a competitive niche, and all reports say they build a very quality product. i would love to try one, but it's tough market to break into with the other top shelf pack companies that are proven and very established at a very similar price point, and knowing other pack companies have great resale.... the less established packs have pretty rough resale.

if they hit a lower price point to get their foot in, they would probably get more people in their packs, and at that point, quality and design speaks for itself.... i also understand they probably can't afford to sell at a cheaper price point, so it will be a slow process to establish.... if you don't end up liking the pack, you are probably taking a hit on resale..... just nature of the beast, and does nothing to speak for the product. i even took a hit on my seek outside pack i bought, and they are more well known and overall well liked.

i have not read anyone "down" AI, just telling it like it is.... they chose a very tough niche to get into, but i wish them the best.... the more quality options we have, the better off we all are..... maybe down the road there will be enough around that they will show up used once in awhile, and i can try one without losing any money if i don't like it. i think IA has a good chance of surviving, and i hope they do.

bozeman

WKR
I can agree with the price point comment, similar to SKRE and Pnuma trying to get in the clothing market with similar prices to Kuiu, Sitka and First Lite......

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
i don't see anyone talking IA down, but i totally agree, kudos to them for jumping into such a competitive niche, and all reports say they build a very quality product. i would love to try one, but it's tough market to break into with the other top shelf pack companies that are proven and very established at a very similar price point, and knowing other pack companies have great resale.... the less established packs have pretty rough resale.

if they hit a lower price point to get their foot in, they would probably get more people in their packs, and at that point, quality and design speaks for itself.... i also understand they probably can't afford to sell at a cheaper price point, so it will be a slow process to establish.... if you don't end up liking the pack, you are probably taking a hit on resale..... just nature of the beast, and does nothing to speak for the product. i even took a hit on my seek outside pack i bought, and they are more well known and overall well liked.

i have not read anyone "down" AI, just telling it like it is.... they chose a very tough niche to get into, but i wish them the best.... the more quality options we have, the better off we all are..... maybe down the road there will be enough around that they will show up used once in awhile, and i can try one without losing any money if i don't like it. i think IA has a good chance of surviving, and i hope they do.
Starting to see more and more actually. At TAC a few weeks ago I saw maybe 10 other AI packs besides mine over the 3 days that I was there. And I wasn't around "everyone" that attended. I own 2 Kuiu packs, 2 Eberlestock packs, 1 Kifaru and now the AI pack. I'm liking the new AI pack the best of the bunch as of now. I do want to try an Exo pack too.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@les welch did one of the first reviews on the IA for us (IA was a sponsor at that time).

He liked it ok but kicked it back to them for some needed design changes which they did.

@realunlucky did the Cliff Test referenced above and they passed it fine

@Zach Herold included the IA in his 9 pack shootout vids

IA is not currently a sponsor but has been in the past. But our writers are independent and can say what they want and I believe they did.

IA is Joe and Dennis, good guys, willing to listen and working hard in a very competitive market. We wish them the best.

unsuccessful

Lil-Rokslider
I love my 2k! I have had MR, Kifaru, and Eberlestock in the past. The MR and the Eberlestock did not work for my body type at all. The Kifaru worked well for me but I wanted to try something different. I have no intention of getting rid of my IA any time soon. I love the big hip belt and lumbar pad....that belt stays put. The shoulder straps work well too. The 2k makes the perfect day pack. I like the tumb stone style opening so I can get to any of my gear without the garage sale. The stretch pockets work well for coats and mics "need good access to" stuff. I will always need a day pack so it makes sense to me to bring my camp stuff up in a drybag on the meat shelf and spend my hunting time with the right bag. The way the 2k attaches it is super quick to get get to the load shelf by just undoing buckles. I've packed out 2 antelope, 1 muley, and a little 6x6 elk. It's been really good for me.
6615458e88f6f37b5fd20b05025f954a.jpg

Sent from my Atom_XL using Tapatalk

_Tyler_

FNG
Kifaru does, 10%. and their customer service and packs hands down exceed expectations.

I love my 2k! I have had MR, Kifaru, and Eberlestock in the past. The MR and the Eberlestock did not work for my body type at all. The Kifaru worked well for me but I wanted to try something different. I have no intention of getting rid of my IA any time soon. I love the big hip belt and lumbar pad....that belt stays put. The shoulder straps work well too. The 2k makes the perfect day pack. I like the tumb stone style opening so I can get to any of my gear without the garage sale. The stretch pockets work well for coats and mics "need good access to" stuff. I will always need a day pack so it makes sense to me to bring my camp stuff up in a drybag on the meat shelf and spend my hunting time with the right bag. The way the 2k attaches it is super quick to get get to the load shelf by just undoing buckles. I've packed out 2 antelope, 1 muley, and a little 6x6 elk. It's been really good for me.
6615458e88f6f37b5fd20b05025f954a.jpg

Sent from my Atom_XL using Tapatalk
Do you pack a spotter? If so do you put it in the main compartment or in one of the stretch pockets? Trying to see if a 65mm spitter would fit in the front stretch pocket.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
Do you pack a spotter? If so do you put it in the main compartment or in one of the stretch pockets? Trying to see if a 65mm spitter would fit in the front stretch pocket.
It will fit in either of the side pockets. That is how I haul my spotter anyway.

Well, I just talked to Dennis (great guy to talk to) and put an order in....will put it through its paces in AL on some bleachers.....will see how it stacks up! Looking forward to trying it out.
Agreed. I just got my 6k last week and took it out for the first hike tonight with 35lbs. I have a few adjustments to make, but it feels great. Quality! I love the big lumbar pad.

Jcott948

FNG
Resurrecting this from the crickets. Anybody have further input on any of their packs? I’d be interested in the 4 or 6K probably. The pannier load carrier seems pretty slick as an addition. I did email their customer service yesterday (Sunday) to get more info and the owner Dennis got back to me within an hour. Pretty cool to se that.

Thanks

_Tyler_

FNG
I had a 2K and had some quality issues with it.. the shoulder straps that connected to the belt popped stitches twice and where the bag attaches to the frame at the top also popped stitches. I sent it back for a refund and proceeded to buy a Stone Glacier pack… fits me better and durability seems better than the IA. Pleased with SG.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Resurrecting this from the crickets. Anybody have further input on any of their packs? I’d be interested in the 4 or 6K probably. The pannier load carrier seems pretty slick as an addition. I did email their customer service yesterday (Sunday) to get more info and the owner Dennis got back to me within an hour. Pretty cool to se that.

Thanks
Mine has been comfortable and drama free. I used just last year
52dd9cdfe1f5f18e07bbb8128174394a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I absolutely loved using my pack last fall. I had the 6k. My favorite part is the pannier system. It was great as a daypack with lots of room, plus if we would have gotten an animal down there would be no wasted trips back to our camp for packs for hauling out meat. Dennis was awesome to work with and the quality is top notch.

I just went out to their website and took a look around. Great looking packs and some really cool features. The video on their carbon fiber frame made in house is impressive.

Is the load shelf (pannier system) really a $60 add on? Or am I missing something and it’s not really the load shelf? I’d like to see their packs in person and wondering if they are at the Sheep Show or DSC events?

Jcott948

FNG
I just went out to their website and took a look around. Great looking packs and some really cool features. The video on their carbon fiber frame made in house is impressive.

Is the load shelf (pannier system) really a $60 add on? Or am I missing something and it’s not really the load shelf? I’d like to see their packs in person and wondering if they are at the Sheep Show or DSC events?
Definitely some neat features. From what I can gather, the pannier is extra but meant to be integrated between frame and bag as a stay put combo, or you pull the main bag off and you essentially have their day pack option.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I checked IA out at the SLC Expo this year, and left mostly unimpressed. The lumbar pad is way to soft and the frame is kinda ugly (highly subjective criticism).
Comparing the IA and the K4 at the expo, I think the design and fit of the Exo K4 is better…..quite a bit better, seems much more refined.

Jcott948

FNG
I checked IA out at the SLC Expo this year, and left mostly unimpressed. The lumbar pad is way to soft and the frame is kinda ugly (highly subjective criticism).
Comparing the IA and the K4 at the expo, I think the design and fit of the Exo K4 is better…..quite a bit better, seems much more refined.
Thanks! I can say I’ve been following the K4 thread since the beginning and am very excited with the end product and probably end up that route. I actually had my mind made up already with K4, but had a family member say I should take a look at IA. With that said, it’s comparing apples to oranges.

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
The IA pack is great. It fits me well and I find it very comfortable. No, the carbon frame may not look like a piece of jewelry, but it is very functional. Before I purchased a used pack I called and spoke with one of the owners who was very grateful to answer any questions I had knowing that I was looking at a used pack.

Don't throw shade on them till you have a reason too, and just because they do not get a ton of spotlight doesn't mean they are not good packs. They must be doing something right as they are still in business, and participate at the big name events around the country.

I see a ton of SO, EXO, Kifaru, Kuiu for sale on here all the time. What's that mean? Someone wasn't happy with it and is moving on to something else!

I very rarely see any IA packs on here. The last one I saw I purchased and couldn't be happier with it.