Any Rockhounds on here?

mcr-85

WKR
In Fort Worth. Open to travel pretty much anywhere, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know anything about finding gems or neat rocks. The neatest ones I've ever found are the ones that some guy sat in the dirt a long time ago chipping pieces off of it to make it sharp enough to kill his dinner. I just wanted to tell you that you are a good dad and an inspiration for doing something that you have no idea about just to make your daughter happy. Good on you and I hope you guys have a good time.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I don't know anything about finding gems or neat rocks. The neatest ones I've ever found are the ones that some guy sat in the dirt a long time ago chipping pieces off of it to make it sharp enough to kill his dinner. I just wanted to tell you that you are a good dad and an inspiration for doing something that you have no idea about just to make your daughter happy. Good on you and I hope you guys have a good time.
Thanks! Hopefully I can make it happen. I’ve never found an arrowhead either. Always wanted to, though. My son found one out here in Texas.

BLJ

WKR
Any good suggestions on the east coast? Closer to central WV? Willing to drive and like to camp.

mcr-85

WKR
Thanks! Hopefully I can make it happen. I’ve never found an arrowhead either. Always wanted to, though. My son found one out here in Texas.
There are lots of Indian sites across Southern Utah. I'm sure if you wandered around looking at the ground long enough you'd find some out here. I have a buddy that used to go arrowhead hunting in the dark with a headlamp. He said they are easier to find since they reflect and shine in the headlamp. I never have done that though. I usually find them while I'm hunting or trapping and never go out to just look for them.

CorbLand

WKR
Funny story about looking for arrowheads. There was an older gentleman that lived in the small town I grew up in that went to Vietnam and didn't come back the same. As he got older and older, it got worse and worse. He would go looking for arrowheads all over but liked to wander onto the Indian reservation when looking for them. This guy really didn't know what was going on and honestly, shouldn't have had a drivers license. Anyways, one day he is on the reservation and the reservation police show up and tell him he needs to leave and he cant look for arrowheads here. He turned to them and said, "you know I killed a lot of people in my life, two more isn't going to make a difference." Pretty sure that is the last time his family let him drive anywhere alone.

Fatcamp

WKR
Remember, removing artifacts from Federal land is a crime. Most states have laws against it as well.

Before you know it she’ll be like this that I saw at a trailhead.View attachment 299308
Haha, when my buddy drew weneha a few years ago, I went with him, and after the morning climb out of those canyons, we get back to camp and I would empty my 10-25lbs of cool rocks I would find in those bottoms... he was surprised at first, then after a couple days he would just shake his head as I unload my pack midday, haha

I’m terrible, and like cool rocks

CorbLand

WKR
Remember, removing artifacts from Federal land is a crime. Most states have laws against it as well.
I wasnt saying that anything the dude was doing was legal. Overall, it was a sad situation for the guy and thankfully we lived in a small town that everyone knew everyone. If he was causing issues the cops would pick him up and take him home or the family would come and get him. Everyone kind of watched out for the guy but he definitely brought some "oh, shit he just said/did that" chuckles.

Fatcamp

WKR
I wasnt saying that anything the dude was doing was legal. Overall, it was a sad situation for the guy and thankfully we lived in a small town that everyone knew everyone. If he was causing issues the cops would pick him up and take him home or the family would come and get him. Everyone kind of watched out for the guy but he definitely brought some "oh, shit he just said/did that" chuckles.

Wasn't directed at you.

Thread was started by an inexperienced person asking about rocks and it headed into artifact territory. Just a cautionary warning.

mcr-85

WKR
I knew digging for arrowheads and artifacts was illegal. I've read plenty of stories about people in Southeast Utah getting raided for their digging up artifacts. I was under the impression you could pick them up off the surface. I could be wrong though and I suppose its all on how the law is interpreted.

1623875707516.png

Fatcamp

WKR
I knew digging for arrowheads and artifacts was illegal. I've read plenty of stories about people in Southeast Utah getting raided for their digging up artifacts. I was under the impression you could pick them up off the surface. I could be wrong though and I suppose its all on how the law is interpreted.

View attachment 299557

Very interesting. Here in South Dakota we have signs all over that are clear that the removal is forbidden. Of course, if it is on federal lands and the law says it is allowed so be it. Obviously a very touchy subject. I really appreciate your information.

In looking at our grasslands map it clearly states removing vertebrate fossils is illegal but only says "do not disturb" in regard to artifacts.

Either way, buyer beware when it comes to fossil, mineral, and arrowhead collection on public land. So much as a screwdriver can cause you a world of trouble depending on who you run into.

mcr-85

WKR
IDK. A quick Google search says no. The forum geeks are pretty adamant.
Yeah I'm not sure either. It was news to me when I read you said it was illegal. I really thought that if you found them on top of the ground it was legal. Oh well. Its a good thing mine are all from private property. :)

minengr

FNG
I'd contact the geology dept at UT or A&M. Probably a grad student willing to show you a few local spots you never knew existed.