Anybody else recovering from shoulder surgery?

Just had my second shoulder surgery about a week and a half ago. On my bow arm this time. Labrum and bicep tendon. Hoping to be back to 60# by September, but it’s going to be close.

Anybody else post op?

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
Had my done quite a few years ago, torn rotator cuff and other ligaments, it didn't take me long to get back on my bow, still shooting 70lbs. to this day.

OP
Arctic Hunter
Had my done quite a few years ago, torn rotator cuff and other ligaments, it didn't take me long to get back on my bow, still shooting 70lbs. to this day.
I was told four months. Sucks having to wait. But I’m looking forward to actually being able to hold the bow steady again.

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
Right shoulder (I'm right handed) rotator cuff, torn biceps, bone spurs. In the rehab phase and making good progress. Timed it to where I hopefully will be able to turkey hunt in three weeks with a shotgun even if I have to shoot left handed. Shooting my bow again is a ways down the road.

chaser_2332

Lil-Rokslider
how long was your recovery? i have been putting one off for a while but my time is coming im afraid

Marble

WKR
Just had my second shoulder surgery about a week and a half ago. On my bow arm this time. Labrum and bicep tendon. Hoping to be back to 60# by September, but it’s going to be close.

Anybody else post op?
I've had the same surgery twice. I'll never be 100 % , but I can shoot competitive shoots.

I tore my labrum in half and damaged my rotator cuff. The second surgery was not to repair anything in my shoulder. It was to retrieve an anchor that got pulled out and put another one in.

I took my PT very seriously and have always continued to lift weight specifically to keep my entire bow arm strong.

The shoulder it the center of a large group of muscles and in order to have success you need to work on all of them.

Upper and lower back
Chest
Some bicep and tricep
All directions with shoulder
More reps seem to be better than heavier weights.

Atleast three times a week.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Scoot

WKR
I haven't yet, but I imagine it's coming. I'll be 50 in a month and shot a bow since I was about 4. Don't know many serious archers who have done it for a long time and not had shoulder problems eventually.

I had reconstructive surgery on my right shoulder in 1997 and orthoscopic on the same one year later. It didn't help me much, it lessened some of the persistent pain but at 62, I still work out and I am still hurting 5 days a week. I had the surgeries done by the medical team that works on the Lakers and other pro athletes too...

OP
Arctic Hunter
Right shoulder (I'm right handed) rotator cuff, torn biceps, bone spurs. In the rehab phase and making good progress. Timed it to where I hopefully will be able to turkey hunt in three weeks with a shotgun even if I have to shoot left handed. Shooting my bow again is a ways down the road.
I killed three left handed the year I had my right one done. It was awkward, but I didn’t dare crank off a turkey load 3 months after surgery. It looks like I’m going to be hunting them with one arm this year as I’ll still be in a sling.

For the guys who have had both done, we’re you back to shooting sooner after your release arm or your bow arm?

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
how long was your recovery? i have been putting one off for a while but my time is coming im afraid
It was just a little over 2 months before I was back shooting my bow. I had my bow lowered to 50lbs. from 70lbs. and just kept working at the rehab part, doing the exercises and weight training. My doctor told me since I like to fish so much, casting the rod was a good exercise for it, so I did a lot of fishing. Age might've had a lot to do with recovery time as well, I was 36 when mine was done.

v37co

FNG
3x on the right shoulder, fast learner. Pulling 70plus fine now. Of course now in 5 weeks out of an acl surgery. Recovery is always long and slow but it pays off. I know it’s not what you want to hear but don’t rush things. Also keep an eye out for blood clots, head ache trouble breathing. I ended up in the er a week after surgery will a bunch of clots in both lungs. Never had clots before scary.

Good luck and keep up the pt. Learn to love the bands.

best

3x on the right shoulder, fast learner. Pulling 70plus fine now. Of course now in 5 weeks out of an acl surgery. Recovery is always long and slow but it pays off. I know it’s not what you want to hear but don’t rush things. Also keep an eye out for blood clots, head ache trouble breathing. I ended up in the er a week after surgery will a bunch of clots in both lungs. Never had clots before scary.

Good luck and keep up the pt. Learn to love the bands.

best
Not to derail the conversation to knees, but how are you 5 weeks post ACl? My wife is 10 days from ACL, left and right lateral meniscus, and hopefully nothing on MCL. She’s very active and hunts a lot. I told her this will be the year she draws Mtn goat. I had knee surgery last year, but it was straight forward. Not a great comparison to what she’ll be in for.

Dogman-K

FNG
I had my rotator cuff surgery in mid June. I had 2 severe tears completely thru and if I remember correctly, they were separated by more than 1 cm. Additionally, I had a moderate tear and a large spur. Unbelievably, pain was minimal. I’m still doing physical therapy and have regained about 90% or more of free movement.

I was able to deer hunt this season with my 270 W without any issues.

Good luck with your surgery.

v37co

FNG
Not to derail the conversation to knees, but how are you 5 weeks post ACl? My wife is 10 days from ACL, left and right lateral meniscus, and hopefully nothing on MCL. She’s very active and hunts a lot. I told her this will be the year she draws Mtn goat. I had knee surgery last year, but it was straight forward. Not a great comparison to what she’ll be in for.
I am walking normally and using the stationary bike (I hate that thing). I still have the full leg brace because of meniscus. All in all not so bad. I didn't apply for goat this year though and even pushed elk back to rifle seasons. Wasn't feeling super hopeful I'd be able to hunt hard this year.

CoStick

WKR
Right shoulder rotator cuff 6/20, left 11/21. Really glad I got them done certainly a long recovery.

My right shoulder socket is gone and the ball of the humerous has found a life halfway out to the rear. I can stll shoot but can't raise my arm above my shoulder.

I had a friend that had his replaced but could never shoot a rifle after that. Since I'm not really in pain I think I will leave it alone until I have to make a choice.

CoStick

WKR
Which one had more impact on shooting a bow? The bow arm or release arm?
I am only 4.5 months out from my bow arm, so I haven’t shot yet. I have full movement and rapidly increasing strength, so I think my release arm would have taken longer between the 2. I also had more done on release arm. The bow arm was just full rotator cuff tear and bone spur. Release arm was rotator cuff, bone spur, labrum, and removal of some of the clavicle.

The one thing I wouldn’t be in, is a hurry. You don’t want to do twice.

OP
Arctic Hunter
Yeah. My right one is giving me issues again. Tomorrow will be two weeks on my left one. Like you, my right one was worse than the left. But this doctor seems to want to move slower than the last doctor did. I’m in the sling for several weeks and not really doing any strength stuff in PT until I’m out of the sling.

I was able to get back into 50-60# limbs at 5 months with my right one. Hopefully, this left one won’t take longer than that.