Anybody here use a decoy.

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
I've been thinking about this for this season, I have a couple spots on our farm that would set up really well. What's everybody's experience?

no limits

FNG
I've used mine right through the rut for the last 10 years harvested a few bucks over it and had one young buck charge it [doe decoy] and completely ripped the stakes out of the ground and ended up in pieces on the ground the head and legs snap onto the body so he didn't wreck it one of the coolest things I've seen while hunting the decoy along with the primos estrus bleat can call is a deadly combination take it out with me about everyday through the rut alot of fun hunting over it money well spent you won't be disappointed if you buy one

I have used one the past few years, a buck decoy. Mostly per rut rut time and mostly in conjunction with calling and rattling. When they work its amazing!! I have had bucks come in and SMASH the decoy. There is about a week or two time frame here that I don't hunt without one. This year I am going to be using a heads up decoy foe mobility purposes.

It's a rush having them come in side stepping with hair standing on end and ears laid back ready to whoop some tail!!

Lukem

WKR
I've had mixed results. I've had several really cool encounters, and killed a decent buck over one that I wouldn't have killed otherwise, but I've had a few opportunities that would've lined right up with out it where the deer skirted around it. It's all about the attitude of the individual deer at that particular time.

Something keeps blasting my 3D deer target. In June. I've had it happen in the fall, but this year I can't believe it.

I may have to start using decoys.

OP
G

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
I have a huge oak up in that is right on the edge of a bean field this year. 20 yards into the woods it falls down into a good size valley. The buck I shot last year came up from there after I snorted at him. He was a little hesitant when he didn't see anything over the rise. I think if I had a decoy in the field he would have come running. In the past there have been a number of times that I just couldn't get them to commit to the last few yards needed to make a shot so I am thinking I will definitely do the decoy this year. At the very least I am sure it will be entertaining to watch young bucks and does interact with it.

Which decoys are you guys using?

WKR
I decoyed in a good buck on a picked bean field using a decoy. Rattled every 30 minutes that afternoon and he came on a string from about 300 yards out. I was sitting on the ground due to no trees in area and he walked in to 12 yards with the hair up, stiff legged and eyes all blazing. Great memories of that hunt. I'll use them again in early November.

I have used several. I have used Montana decoys. They are nice except in the wind. I have a buck and doe for sale if your interested. I also have a flambeau redi doe that I got the antler kit for. That is nice but kinda pain to haul around for me as I mostly hunt from the ground and like to be mobile. But it has worked great. You might want to check out the deer decoy dave smith puts out, that thing is awesome, and expensive! This year I will be using a heads up decoy.

I wouldn't hunt the rut anywhere for whitetails without a decoy... It changes the game when used correctly. This buck came from 600 yards away, straight across a milo field, into 8 yards for a taste of carbon. It was the first time I had ever used a decoy :) Use one all the time now when I head back east to hunt whitetails.

attachment.php

I have used the Boss Buck and the Carry Lite.... Both have worked great but they a bit awkward to pack in much of any distance. Still worth it though.

Sunspot

WKR
Hell yeah and they work. I just use a Montana Decoy but try this slick trick: pin a big white feather to it's arse. It flickers in the slightest wind and is deadly. I simply uncap a bottle of Special Golden Estrus or whatever using and put in near the deke. Another cool trick is to run a flapper to a tree and use a string to control it. Don't leave your deke out unless you want something to pummel it overnight.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have a carry lite it seems to work about half the time to bring bucks in. Does stomp and blow at it in either doe or buck form but I use it mostly where they can see it for awhile before they get there

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heads Up Decoy for me. Public land, heavily pressured 170+ bucks with bow the last 2 years because of the decoy.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Im using Elk Mountain Gear Decoy slip system on my Elk Hunt. Acts as a Decoy, Blind, Umbrella for Rain and Sun, and walking stick. Super versatile.