Anybody just using spray paint for cresting?

Thinking I might use paint instead of a wrap on a few carbon arrows. Anybody just pull the nock and tape off the arrow and spray paint the cresting on? Don't feel like going through the process of dipping. Can't think of any reason not to as long as I use an appropriate paint.

Thoughts?

Wrench

WKR
I do. You need to wipe the shafts down as they have a film on some. Choose a paint that contains an adhesion promoter and use several very light coats.

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
Yep clean them good, then hit them with 2 coats of spray can. Then wait 48hrs and put on feathers with fletch tape. Been using this for years.

Jimbo2312

FNG
Yes, I've had better luck dipping them but I sprayed the first few batches I did. Nothing too fancy on the crest paint either when I dip

MSmiley

FNG
I tried it once. Couldn’t get an even coat and wasn’t durable. I’m no artist tho

We build wood arrows in my 4H group every year for the fair. I have the kids mask and spray a base, then crest with a spinner. When they use them they seem to work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJG

WKR
Dipping them or use a wrap, spraying them is a PITA, takes a lot of time and is least durable.

Dip in bulk, no less than 2 dozen at a time IMO. arrow 2.jpgarrow 1.jpg

PJG

WKR
You have any recommendations for if you lose a feather, and it took off some of the cresting?
I typically just re-glue another feather back on. Yeah I know it won't entirely cover the part that the cresting came off, but it will come pretty close to covering. It truly does suck when a feather comes off of a dipped arrow. Let me know if you find a better way cosmetically fix it when that does happen.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
You have any recommendations for if you lose a feather, and it took off some of the cresting?
I have no advice but I think that one would become my go to stumping arrow. I just started cresting arrows and it's a lot of work. But... I fully expect to destroy every arrow eventually.

Ive painted a few and put a clear over them afterwards. I had no problems with my feathers adhering, the only gripe was durability. I use reflective wraps nowadays.