Anybody recognize the make of this bullet?

Just bought three boxes of these from midway. Factory seconds .284“ - 150 grain plastic tipped boat tail. It’s the one with the dark green tip. They look a little bit like TGK‘s. Posed next to a 150 gr ELD-X for comparison. Just wondering what bullet I should use for load data to build a starting load ladder.

edit: the mystery bullet is .054“ shorter than the ELD-X. Most of that is a difference in the plastic tip.

IMG_2920.jpegIMG_2919.jpeg

Last edited:

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
They look like Remington accutip but idk if they are even made anymore. TGK doesn't have the interlock ring

Last edited:
OP
EastHumboldt
I read that the accutips are actually a Hornady SST with a different color tip. Hornady’s reloading manual doesn’t show a 150 gr SST, but does show a 150 gr GMX with a cannelure.

OP
EastHumboldt
I‘ll try to get a hold of midway customer service on Monday.

my usual procedure is to select a projectile, look up a book load for that projectile, and load up a test ladder. Looking for pressure signs. When I get pressure signs I back off about half a grain, load a load a box or two and start playing with COL.

If unable to identify the projectile, where would you guys start?

BTW, I’m going to try Staball 6.5. I’ve been getting very decent results with the Hornady ELDX. With that bullet, 47.8 grains of powder gets me close to 2800 FPS. I’m just trying to find a cheaper bullet to practice with. Also, I forgot to mention loading this for a 7MM-08.

Last edited:

A382DWDZQ

WKR
You should be fine starting with any 150gr spitzer load data. For branded bullets, Midway lists the length, so if you want to get even closer, find something that is closest in length. As long as you’re using a starting load to start, you should be safe. Compare your results with the published data you use and then go from there.

OP
EastHumboldt
I did exactly that. I didn’t go all the way to the top load on my ladder, I stopped about 2800 ft./s. It seems pretty reasonable for 150 grain projectile.?

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
They look like Remington accutip but idk if they are even made anymore. TGK doesn't have the interlock ring
Wasn't going to chime in on the starting point as I think it's been covered.
But, I've purchased "blem" bullets from Midway that weren't labeled by mfg. But did have a sticker that included a Sierra part number. The bullets purchased as blems had a cannelure while the p/n available to reloaders has none. I think the bullets made for factory ammo that were blems were being sold. I filed one of each of both with and without cannelure and they were the same.
All this isn't to say these aren't Remington accutips, or that they are Tipped Game Kings/Gamechangers, but they very well may be.