Anyone build a shouse

Currently live in Illinois and this state is a joke. MO is only 40 minutes from where we are now. Can't move for at least 2 years. Would like 10ish acres to put a shouse on South of Meramec River somewhere (No desire to be in St. Louis county). Want a shouse. Want a shouse to be able to put my "extras" in (UTV/lawn mower/etc). Also, my wife has 6 kids and when we have everyone over she wants a table to sit them all and their offspring....within reason! I think a shouse would help allow us a room where we could put a long dining table.

Anyone here built have a shouse? Any pros/cons? Anything you'd change? To me this place is awesome: https://midwestfarmco.com/listings/33505/

They are awesome and I love the idea. Someday when we downsize I'll build one like that. Less space for me and the wife and plenty of room for the toys.

I love the idea.

I do some stuff in my shop that I don't want fumes of making it into the house though.

Plus working early or late when the wife wants to sleep.

Mojave

WKR
They have weird regulations depending on the state.

Wasn't sure what a shouse was, here they are called Barndominiums.

In the Northern Rockies they are shomes.

def90

WKR
Have to look at the local building codes, a lot of places don't allow these types of structures for whatever reason.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've threatened my wife with selling our house and moving to a
plot of land in the hills. Build a pole barn and park a camper under
it.
My idea is to build a laundry room, and outdoor cooking area under
that barn. Build another barn/metal building for a shop/man cave.

She says I'm going to be lonely.:p

WCB

WKR
As others have said look at building codes and also financing. We looked at buying one and could not get traditional financing...would of had to go with an ARM and we see how well that would have turned out with rates like they are.

I mean other than being a house built on grade not really sure what some of the differences are from standard stick build with an attached garage? Some of these are literally just houses with steel siding and roofs.

WRM

WKR
They have weird regulations depending on the state.

Wasn't sure what a shouse was, here they are called Barndominiums.

Me too--barndominium. They are looking hard at quashing them here, to my understanding. I'd imagine some of the trad homebuilders are "quietly" behind that.

OP
M
I've threatened my wife with selling our house and moving to a
plot of land in the hills. Build a pole barn and park a camper under
it.
My idea is to build a laundry room, and outdoor cooking area under
that barn. Build another barn/metal building for a shop/man cave.

She says I'm going to be lonely.:p

Maybe it's for the better!?!?!?! Kidding of course.

OP
M
Where I currently live folks are building these sorts of houses. I would think South of the Meramec in MO one could probably get away with it on your own chunk of ground...ie not in a subdivision.

TSAMP

WKR

dtrkyman

WKR
Can be quite nice! A lodge I managed had one, about 500k

Geo thermal…the whole nine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G_Tacoma

Lil-Rokslider
I currently live in one. 50ft x 90ft. You’re starting to see more of them being built around here. My Living space is about 1400 square feet. 2 bedroom, 1bath with an open layout. I don’t have kids or anything so it’s plenty of room for 2 people and a couple dogs. Maintenance is super easy. One thing we did do was underfloor heating. It’s a life saver in the winter, you can walk around on your bare feet and the dogs love it. Shop space is great, plenty of room for the toys. No regrets and It was pretty quick to build

Wvroach

WKR
I've seen a few nicely done ones and a handful that weren't.

I also had never heard shouse, I thought it was either a typo or you were talking about a outhouse when I first saw that.

dtrkyman

WKR
I just saw one on youtube down south somewhere, built on posts and the dude had all his atv/side by sides and an outdoor kitchen under it!

Didn't like the look but very functional!

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
In that area it's gonna be a county by county thing. Franklin County is definitely more stringent with codes than where I'm at in Gasconade County. But that's getting to be a little ways out there from where you're at now. I've got an hour and a half drive to work in stl daily. Land ain't getting no cheaper out here and like I'm sure it is anywhere a small chunk like that you're gonna pay a high price/acre. Land would probably be cheaper looking south down 55 than down 44.