Anyone build a shouse

cnelk

WKR
I built a pole barn house for my mom and dad about 28 years ago. First one around at the time. County inspectors didn’t know what to say.

Put hot water heat in the slab, and a double car garage.

6” insulated walls kept it warm and cool.

Definitely cheaper than stick built.

^ what cnelk wrote. Radiant heat in slab. 6” of spray insulation in walls. They can be nice if done right. 50’x 100’ would be my ideal size.

hunterjmj

WKR
We were going to do one but decided against it. No codes against it but we thought it may be an issue if we ever sell. We're building a 30X40 post frame shop and a traditional built 1600sqft house. The thought of having all the plumbing under a slab kid of turned me away as well. I've always lived in a crawl space home.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I've threatened my wife with selling our house and moving to a
plot of land in the hills. Build a pole barn and park a camper under
it.
My idea is to build a laundry room, and outdoor cooking area under
that barn. Build another barn/metal building for a shop/man cave.

She says I'm going to be lonely.:p
I went to a party years ago, thrown by a metal artist.

He had a large shop, and on one end he had it done up like a patio. Fake grass, patio furniture, and "outdoor" kitchen. When he was home, he used the patio area as his living room, and he then pulled his travel trailer in next to that to use like a master bedroom.

I thought it would be a great setup for a person who wanted to get out of town often. Just hook up the trailer, and go. It would already have all your day to day stuff loaded in.

WCB

WKR
Most women do hate them. But that's because they have taste. LOL

I would be worried about resale value personally.
On the average the ones I have been in are mostly nicer and better thought out than stick homes. Now for an actual home the ones guys are talking pulling their camper or truck right into basically their living space is a different category in my opinion.

You are correct on resale and have to worry about getting proper financing. We looked at one but couldn't get proper financing because their were not any comparable in the immediate area...would have required a ARM loan and those probably aren't working out for many people right now when your interest rates double or more.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I love the idea, as long as there was a wrap around porch and an interior my wife liked that would be a fantastic option!

Crusader

WKR
I don't know anything about a shouse or construction aspects but I'll comment on location. You should look into Jefferson County. We live in the northern portion of it, in High Ridge. We are only a few miles SW of the St. Louis County border and to the NE, only 10-12 minutes from the I-44/I-270 junction. Go south from us and it gets pretty rural pretty quickly. You could get a place with acreage there for much less $$ and I'm sure building codes there are more relaxed than STL County.

cjdewese

WKR
My uncle just built one in Wisconsin.

He spent a lot of time working on the floor plan to make sure it would suite everything he needs as he ages. All 1 floor with heated and cooled floors, a HUGE shop for anything he wants/needs to work on.

If I didn't already live in the house I wanted with the property I wanted, I would be doing exactly what you are.

DrewD

FNG
Im a lender at a small community bank in Illinois. We have been able to get post framed Shouses placed in fixed rate loans if there are similar local comps for the appraiser, and the build size and layout is similar to that of a traditional stick built home. Where you run into financing road blocks is when you build a large pole barn with a much smaller living quarters within it. You can still get a loan but a fixed rate will be tough.

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
My experience is most insurance companies do not want to insure these type homes. I figure for the same reason finding financing can be a problem. Insurance companies do not like new or risk they have little or no experience with. Also the risk of having combustible items in such a structure is way higher than a traditional structure.
I was hopping the ones that have them would let us know the company they were able to obtain coverage with.
And for folks to check on insurance in the process of planning.

Saw the thread name and thought he was talking about a "shit-house" . My neighbor when we're kids in the 70' 's had an original "shouse" . It looked like a normal ranch, but on the side of the basement were 2 large steel doors . Basically what we call a walk out basement . He would pull his hotrod GTO into the bat cave and work on the carburetor and fire it up . Meanwhile we would be on the main level watching Gilligans island re- runs lusting over Ginger and that sweet smell of leaded gas would come up from every vent in the house . His wife was one patient lady .I have a friend who has a construction business and has a shouse . It does work good for his business. Also a buddy's son is building one he can add a house on later if he wants . One thing they all have in common is that they're all single. My wife would shut those thoughts down in a hurry. Good luck