Anyone carry their rifle in hand while hunting in the mountains?

Loper

WKR
How many of you carry your rifle in your hand, from the moment you leave the truck and head into the mountains, until your tag is filled?

Have you always done it, did you get frustrated with slings/carrying apparatuses, or did you miss an opportunity on an animal because it took you too long to deploy the rifle and decided to carry it from that moment forward?

Traveler

WKR
I sling my rifle from time to time but mostly always in hand. I hunt places that don’t involve hikes in and can be in animals from the time I step off.

87TT

WKR
Over 40 years ago, I cut my sling down so that I had to remove the screw rivet to let it out to be able to sling it over my shoulders. It stayed sucked up against the stock until I was tagged out and done hunting,

Ehunter

FNG
I missed a opertunity at a big blacktail when my sling got caught on knife sheaf. To be fair it was pouring rain and I was hustling back to my truck. I carry in my hand from now on 😀

CCooper

WKR
In the hand 95% of the time. Gun bearer if in real steep country or coming out with an animal. Same with my bow, but more like 99% of the time in my hand because I rarely kill with it 🤣
I carry my rifle upside down with my thumb on the bolt and hand wrapped around the floor plate. I will not have a rifle with a protruding box mag for this reason.

87TT

WKR
Over 40 years ago, I cut my sling down so that I had to remove the screw rivet to let it out to be able to sling it over my shoulders. It stayed sucked up against the stock until I was tagged out and done hunting,
I will say that cut down sling was on an old Bell &Carlson stock that didn't have or allow detachable slings. I wore that stock out and put the old wood stock with detachable swivels back on and now the sling stays in my pack until needed.

hunterjmj

WKR
Took my sling off about 4 years ago. I'd say it's in my hands 85% of the time and in the gun bearer the other times.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Slings and gun harnesses all suck honestly when trying to cover ground backpacking. I carry mine in hand 90% of the time. Other times it’s strapped to outside of pack when hiking super steep or while on horseback.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I rigged my own gun bearer using an old USGI Molle Canteen pouch on my pack wait belt and nylon strap/buckle. It rides in a European carry style muzzle up and belly up. It sits in that setup about 70% of the time. When in thick brush hunting blacktail almost always need gun in hand.

Seeknelk

WKR
Nope. In a slik sling. Otherwise on lots of my hunt I'd be looking for somewhere to set it so I can glass every few minutes. Lots of my hunts are more of mobile glassing point... looking into pockets as they become available.etc...