Anyone cut&crown their Kimber mountain ascent?

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
I have a used MA in 7mm-08 coming from a Montana store, thanks to a fellow Rokslide member. I’m curious to find out if anyone has cut their barrel down to say 20”, and if so, did it affect accuracy, or make the rifle unbalanced? I really like the Adirondack with the 18” barrel, but very seldom see them come up for sale. Just wondering if cutting a MA down to 20” might be the best of both worlds. I only hunt the mountains in the Northeast where most shots are well within 100 yards. Any thoughts or real life experience is appreciated.

mthayr

WKR
Yes, 308 22" Montana cut down to 20" - shoots lights out now, didn't before.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Mine shot fine at 22” but I Wanted to use a silencer and 22” plus 7” is just too long. Balance and accuracy are great at 18”

OP
cruizer

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like accuracy and balance might actually improve.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I chopped my Montana to 20.5 inches in my garage. It feels better in the hand and no effect on accuracy.

Seeknelk

WKR
The mountain ascent has a fluted barrel right? But should still be fine to cut if your not planning to thread it though right?
But short is soooooo handy.

OP
cruizer

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
If I cut and crown I will not be threading it. I agree, shorter is handier.
mtwarden, is there a reason you came up with the 19” length, instead of 18 like the Adirondack or the more common 20”.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The mountain ascent has a fluted barrel right? But should still be fine to cut if your not planning to thread it though right?
But short is soooooo handy.
The flutes do not go very far down the barrel, you would need to cut something like 8-12 inches off to get into them.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The flutes do not go very far down the barrel, you would need to cut something like 8-12 inches off to get into them.
Fluted are in the middle of the barrel on those guns I’m trying to decide how short to cut my mountain ascent 300 win mag

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Fluted are in the middle of the barrel on those guns I’m trying to decide how short to cut my mountain ascent 300 win mag
20 inches sounds good for a 300 mag, not basing that on anything solid, just sound like a handy length that would not overly handicap the cartridge compared to its potential. You could do 19 and 31/32nds just because.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
20 inches sounds good for a 300 mag, not basing that on anything solid, just sound like a handy length that would not overly handicap the cartridge compared to its potential. You could do 19 and 31/32nds just because.
I was thinking 21/22 or so, it’s got a 26” barrel as it is.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I was thinking 21/22 or so, it’s got a 26” barrel as it is.
If you are cutting it yourself, and not threading it, cut to 22 and you can always take more later. That was my approach, and I have yet to take more.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you are cutting it yourself, and not threading it, cut to 22 and you can always take more later. That was my approach, and I have yet to take more.
Nah, I’m not cutting myself. I’d have no problem cutting metal with a jig/guide and taking the edge off but I’m not a machinist so I can’t do threading.

I send them to Shaen rifles to do the work for me, his work is excellent and his prices are fair. Best of all he gets work done quickly.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I cut and crown I will not be threading it. I agree, shorter is handier.
mtwarden, is there a reason you came up with the 19” length, instead of 18 like the Adirondack or the more common 20”.

not really, I figured lopping off 3" would give me the handling I was looking at, 18" would have been fine too :)