Anyone ever burned in a titanium stove in their oven?

Bought a new Seek SXL. I already had a pipe so don't need to burn in a pipe. Thinking about giving the new stove a good wipe with alcohol and just putting in the oven disassembled to burn it in and prevent future fingerprint marks. Thoughts?

Geewhiz

WKR
Never have done that but if you're worried about finger prints couldnt you just wear a pair of gloves when handling it after wiping it down?

svivian

WKR
I used a propane blow torch to do my stove pipe. don't see why it wouldn't work on a stove body too.

Side note Are you only doing this to prevent fingerprints? you dont really need to burn in a stove otherwise

OP
Dos Perros
you dont really need to burn in a stove otherwise

I was thinking this might be the case, but the instructional videos say to keep the hardware loose during the burn-in to prevent warping. But you obviously would tighten them in subsequent burns. Which tells me the burn-in is doing something for the stove body, I'm just not sure what it is.

As for the fingerprints...I do tend to like to keep my stuff nice. In practice is another story. My Stone Glacier backpack is sitting in the bed of my truck covered in buffalo blood, been there a couple weeks now but at least it has been cold. Have to deal with that at some point.

svivian

WKR
I was thinking this might be the case, but the instructional videos say to keep the hardware loose during the burn-in to prevent warping. But you obviously would tighten them in subsequent burns. Which tells me the burn-in is doing something for the stove body, I'm just not sure what it is.

As for the fingerprints...I do tend to like to keep my stuff nice. In practice is another story. My Stone Glacier backpack is sitting in the bed of my truck covered in buffalo blood, been there a couple weeks now but at least it has been cold. Have to deal with that at some point.
Gotcha my first burns on the stove body have always been out camping. 3 stoves so far with no issues. If you do the oven let us know if works.

For the stove pipe it always seemed like I had to get it almost cherry red for it to really form well and burn in.

Wrench

WKR
Here's the deal with ti stoves and pipes, they look killer until you use them.....then they warp, color and never look new again....but if you need it, you won't care if it looks like kamala harris, you'll be happy it's in your tent.

You're mostly getting the oil cooked off. But if you think it'll stay perfect, you'll be disappointed.

Just my experience with the 3 that I've owned.

OP
Dos Perros
Here's the deal with ti stoves and pipes, they look killer until you use them.....then they warp, color and never look new again....but if you need it, you won't care if it looks like kamala harris, you'll be happy it's in your tent.

You're mostly getting the oil cooked off. But if you think it'll stay perfect, you'll be disappointed.

Just my experience with the 3 that I've owned.

Well aware it won't stay perfect. I've got a medium that I've been using for a couple years that looks pretty beat to shit!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Dull cherry red is 1400 F or so, I would not consider it burned in before that (but don't have the experience to back that up), so I think even on a clean cycle the oven will not get hot enough.

sacklunch

WKR
Don't even think of using titanium cookware in the house, let alone curing one of those toxic ti stoves in the oven...... good grief.
I dont believe that is apples to apples. Cookwarei thought goes through a heat treat process..that Ti from a new stove can put off some nasty stuff...thats why you never burn it in inside your tent

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I dont believe that is apples to apples. Cookwarei thought goes through a heat treat process..that Ti from a new stove can put off some nasty stuff...thats why you never burn it in inside your tent
What does it off gas?

sacklunch

WKR
What does it off gas?
Not a clue, I'm not a chemist, but it sure smells like chemicals/solvent burning to me. Regardless, I'm not burning one in in my oven just for grins, especially not with my kids in the house...no the titanium isnt physically burning, but do you know what other compounds it coated with during the process? I don't.

The E. Palestine EPA would probabky say it's completely safe, so obviously nothing to see here...

Risk vs reward...

Beendare

WKR
Yep, in an oven…with a Lasagne inside- grin, kidding

Though after about 5 years with mine the inside looks like it had a Lasagne in there
—-
FWIW, this is my second one of these. The first was the same- but home made. These don’t last forever…eventually you burn them up…I mean Cmon, the
bodies are .004”-.005” Ti shim stock. My first one went about 6 years.