Anyone ever had a cooler seize closed from altitude pressure change?

Overwire

FNG
So... the surface area of the lid inside the seal on a 45qt cooler is going to be about 200 sq. in. Air pressure at 11k ft is about 9.71PSI and air pressure at sea level is about 14.7PSI (difference of 4.99PSI). From the natural gas law, the change in pressure in a sealed container is proportional to the change in temperature in degrees kelvin. So if you opened your cooler at 15.5C (60F), the temperature stabilized, and then the temperature inside dropped to 4.4C (40F) after you sealed it you would have an additional pressure drop of .372PSI. So Going from 11k ft and 60F inside temp to sea level and 40F inside temp results in a pressure differential of about 5.36 PSI from inside the cooler to outside the cooler. Remember that Force equals pressure multiplied by area so that lid would theoretically take close to 1100 pounds to open if pulling straight up from center. You have approximately 2:1 mechanical advantage pulling at the lip so make it 650 pounds applied to the lip of the cooler to open.

Next time just use the drain. The surface area of the drain valve is so small plus you have mechanical advantage from the thread so it will open easy and equalize pressure.

So... the surface area of the lid inside the seal on a 45qt cooler is going to be about 200 sq. in. Air pressure at 11k ft is about 9.71PSI and air pressure at sea level is about 14.7PSI (difference of 4.99PSI). From the natural gas law, the change in pressure in a sealed container is proportional to the change in temperature in degrees kelvin. So if you opened your cooler at 15.5C (60F), the temperature stabilized, and then the temperature inside dropped to 4.4C (40F) after you sealed it you would have an additional pressure drop of .372PSI. So Going from 11k ft and 60F inside temp to sea level and 40F inside temp results in a pressure differential of about 5.36 PSI from inside the cooler to outside the cooler. Remember that Force equals pressure multiplied by area so that lid would theoretically take close to 1100 pounds to open if pulling straight up from center. You have approximately 2:1 mechanical advantage pulling at the lip so make it 650 pounds applied to the lip of the cooler to open.

Next time just use the drain. The surface area of the drain valve is so small plus you have mechanical advantage from the thread so it will open easy and equalize pressure.
You just hurt my brain.

wytx

WKR
I've had bags of chips explode when we get up there.

For that cooler, you know you got a good one if it's sealed to that level. I like it! There's a drain plug made for Yeti coolers that has a spring loaded plunger on it, automatically allows air to suck in for opening the lid. I have one on our boat cooler, works great. Previously if you pop it open to grab a beer it would be pretty difficult to get open for a few minutes after. But yes, put the crow bar down and just unscrew the drain plug lol.

edit: https://www.amazon.com/Yeti-Accessory-Cooler-Drain-Plug/dp/B00F3QJNAY
I have 2 of these Grizzly valve drain plugs and they work great, never had an issue.

7xsy0d.jpg

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
Happens with both of mine every time I try to open them if they have been recently opened. More so in summer, but also in winter. As mentioned earlier, I just relieve pressure with drain valve and they open right up. Mine are wally world ozark trails.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Good call. I've never used the drain plugs on my coolers ever. Kind of even forgot they have them.....LOL. I always use frozen milk jugs for my ice. I'm wondering now, as tight as it was and sucking inward......how hard that even might have been. I could see that cheap plastic breaking off with the threaded section still inside. I'll test that next time.
Even if it broke (in my experience they're way stronger than you would think), the threaded part would come out easily.

It's pressure on the sealing surface AND the threads that makes it tight. With just one, nice and loose.

Some coolers-my Cabelas 80 quart ones for example-have a pressure valve for this. Drain plug idea should work also.
How long have you had the cooler? I’ve heard their ice retention is excellent, but mixed reviews on the hardware breaking and Cabelas hanging people out to dry with no warranty and/or no parts available.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Happens all the time in Arizona summer heat. I use frozen one gallon jugs for ice because even the best coolers won’t hold ice when it’s 110 degrees for 30 days straight.

Just pop that drain plug and leave the crowbar for something else.