Anyone ever had a cooler seize closed from altitude pressure change?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This week we were up high in the mountains. Yesterday I opened the cooler at ~11k feet to pull out a sandwich and drink before driving home. When we got home I couldn't open the cooler. I had to use a crow bar to finally get it to snap open and you could hear the air rush in when it popped. But it felt like I was going to break the cooler trying to get it open. It took a lot of pressure and even stopped several times because the lid was creaking as I applied force to it. This is a new 45qt roto cooler with a rubber gasket seal. First time I've used it.

OP
5MilesBack

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Good call. I've never used the drain plugs on my coolers ever. Kind of even forgot they have them.....LOL. I always use frozen milk jugs for my ice. I'm wondering now, as tight as it was and sucking inward......how hard that even might have been. I could see that cheap plastic breaking off with the threaded section still inside. I'll test that next time.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had that happen a couple times on one of my rotomolded coolers. It’s happened without a significant altitude change though so I was thinking it might be a temperature difference causing it? I was able to get the drain plug loose to release the vacuum effect.

The odd thing is my other cooler that was the same brand and size never did it and they were right next to each other.

svivian

WKR
This week we were up high in the mountains. Yesterday I opened the cooler at ~11k feet to pull out a sandwich and drink before driving home. When we got home I couldn't open the cooler. I had to use a crow bar to finally get it to snap open and you could hear the air rush in when it popped. But it felt like I was going to break the cooler trying to get it open. It took a lot of pressure and even stopped several times because the lid was creaking as I applied force to it. This is a new 45qt roto cooler with a rubber gasket seal. First time I've used it.
Yep happens alot on mine which means its got a decent seal. I just unscrew the drain plug to depressurize it and it opens easily.

Last edited:

UncleBone

WKR
Have had it happen several times on an orca. Drain plug trick works every time.

No but I’ve had ammo cans do that and then almost pop me in the face when they finally release.

I have big cans for freeze dried food and to ward off bears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yep, I either use a little tool deal on my keychain to open it, or just open the drain plug.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
Have not. I have had bags of chips blow open going over a mountain pass...Thought we blew a tire.

I've had bags of chips explode when we get up there.

For that cooler, you know you got a good one if it's sealed to that level. I like it! There's a drain plug made for Yeti coolers that has a spring loaded plunger on it, automatically allows air to suck in for opening the lid. I have one on our boat cooler, works great. Previously if you pop it open to grab a beer it would be pretty difficult to get open for a few minutes after. But yes, put the crow bar down and just unscrew the drain plug lol.

edit: https://www.amazon.com/Yeti-Accessory-Cooler-Drain-Plug/dp/B00F3QJNAY

Last edited:

bnsafe

WKR
not that, but, i dont buy soda or anything else carbonated and bring it out with me. not sure it was the altitude but ive seen several of those explode

Yes my RTIC did in storage. Temp diff i think.

Going over a pass i had a jug of ATF fluid rupture. That was fun.

I don’t think it’s only altitude, I have it happen fairly often, including my stationary freezers.

I don’t think it’s only altitude, I have it happen fairly often, including my stationary freezers.
It may also be the warmer air you just introduced when you opened it has cooled and contracted.

I have a chest freezer in my garage. If I open it and close it then try to open it again it always takes more force to open the second time. I figured the warmer air cooling created a vacuum effect. Just a guess.