Anyone have experience w/ Kuiu Zip-Off Merino Bottoms?

DrewPNW

FNG
I'm interested in getting both the 145 and 200 zip-off merino bottoms from Kuiu, but wanted to know if those zippers are annoying against the skin, or if they press against you under the pants, or if you don't feel it? Any other zip-off merinos out there you'd recommend? I get hot on the move so the ability to zip and vent or remove seems awesome.

Just wanted to check with RS crew before dropping coin on a pair.

Thanks!

I don't notice anything with the zippers. I really like those bottoms. I use the 145 merino. They always have a place in my bag. I also really enjoy not having to take my boots off to put them on and off.

I have the 200's and the zippers don't bother me at all. If anything it's the velcro tabs that can be irritating, but not really. Those zip offs are the one piece of gear I have that none of my friends have and every time I zip them off they without fail comment "I need to get some of those." I pretty much wear them as a permanent base layer later in the season. If I lost them I would buy another pair the moment I had cell signal.

OP
DrewPNW

DrewPNW

FNG
Great feedback everyone, thank you. I'm really a 37, wear 36 or 38 depending on the brand, should XL do the trick? I know Kuiu can tend to run small.

Thanks again!

I’ve got the 145s and love them, never notice the zippers. I’d size up for sure, mine are either the L or XL and they’re snug with a 34 inch waist.

Can't speak for Kuiu but the First lite zipoffs are awesome. The furnace boot tops were money for added insulation this year. Very easy to put on and take off, never noticed the zipper.

fwafwow

WKR
I can't remember which version I have, but I purchased them some time ago. I don't mind the zippers, but I can't stand that they are so short. I have the same problem with two of the three weights of the new FL zip off long johns. I just don't like the feeling of bare skin between the top of my boot and the bottom of the LJs. Sure I could wear a really tall sock (I don't always want to), and it makes it easier to take off the LJs, but you can just pull the bottom of the LJs out of your boot.

If you wanted a rec - I'd go w/ the Kiln version of the boot zip - they are full length.

bruno59

WKR
I used the pro merino 200's this year a lot could not believe how many times i took them off and put them back on did not notice the zippers at all best purchase i have made in a few years i am 5'9 165lbs. 32 waist and the mediums fit perfect

Superdoo

WKR
If you wanted a rec - I'd go w/ the Kiln version of the boot zip - they are full length.
My concern with the full length is having a zipper near my ankle inside of a boot. Do have any problems with the full lengths rubbing inside of the boot?

fwafwow

WKR
My concern with the full length is having a zipper near my ankle inside of a boot. Do have any problems with the full lengths rubbing inside of the boot?
Good question. I haven't noticed an issue, but YMMV. I suppose you could put your LJs on *over* your socks, but it would still be between the sock and the boot. You got me curious, so I compared the Kuiu and FL and in addition to the length difference (both are XL), the Kuiu pair is set up so the zipper pull is at the waist, while the FL pair has the zipper pull at the ankle. They appear to be the same zipper.

Attachments

• IMG_1838.jpeg
    IMG_1838.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1841.jpeg
    IMG_1841.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1842.jpeg
    IMG_1842.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 42
Have two pair of the kuiu 145s. Have not worn anything else in the last 2 years for any weather where I might want to remove them.

JNDEER

WKR
Like everyone else has said. The kuiu zips are great and I have never felt the zipper. For a full size boot i keep the top of the base layer towards the top of the boot. Never had an issue with rubbing. Also- one of my pairs of zip offs is a size smaller than I would normally get. This keeps the bottom of the base layer at the top of my tall boat and well above my mid-boots.