Anyone here deal with back pain???

260madman

WKR
At 45yrs old I’m 8 weeks in on my first back injury with a fractured T12. My prognosis is good but I have a long road ahead for healing and strengthening. Currently working with PT for my knee/leg that’s broken so that’s not so easy with the back issue. Once given the OK to use weights I’ll be doing that and hopefully yoga for stretching and strengthening.

At least I’ve kept myself in decent shape over the years and I’m trying to be positive as I sit in my recliner and stare at the screen.

Wits_End

FNG
Followed chiro plan and saw no relief.
I actually saw some relief after playing a round of golf, must of been the extra stretching.

connerh04

FNG
Back pain is super person to person but I’ve had some pretty good bouts with it, both chronic and acute and here is what I can say:
There are times for a chiropractor, when it catches and “goes out” an adjustment is usually necessary, and then you start nursing that thing back to health. But if it’s more of a chronic thing you gotta look for roots, the biggest mistake for me was looking at my back for the cause of my back pain. More often than not it is tied directly to my hips and core, a tight hip flexor will rock my pelvis enough to pinch things. Once I got wind of this idea I started rolling and stretching my hips like it was my job. Also, ibuprofen is more than a just pain mask, my body had to get that inflammation down to heal. Don’t try and rebuild Rome in a day, definitely give it time to ease back into things. Lastly, maintaining core will do a lot for back pain. Not just 6 pack abs though, kinda gotta work like you want a 6 pack on the spine too, a strong core is more than just show muscles, it’s the whole enchilada.

Not a doctor, but I certainly listen to what doctors tell me and I think more importantly, I’ve listened to my body when it’s screaming at me and recognized what gets it to shut up. Everybody is different, especially when it comes to spines. Back pain is no fun, and that is 100% fact.

I won’t bore you with my back issues but I’d recommend researching the psoas muscles and how to strengthen and balance them as well as stretch them.

Anyhow - In the very short term, a tens therapy unit helps manage the pain. It only alleviates the pain when it’s attached but it legit makes a world of difference when it’s on. I got mine for about 25 bucks on amazon.

No inversion table recommendations? I’ve really been eyeballing one to stretch my spine out.

Inversion tables may be great for short term relief as a daily regimen or to help recover if your back gets jacked up, but isn't really a long term fix. That's not to say they aren't helpful, just not a solution.

Kilboars

WKR
That's actually not entirely inaccurate...

I have learned that stress can cause back pain (which causes more stress and more back pain) so destressing can help a lot

A lot more than you would think even. Read the book I posted about above.

I’ve been dealing with major eye watering and redness issues over the past 4 years but it’s been very bad the last four months. I’m on my 5th eye doctor and nothing seems to work well.
I went to my lease last weekend and worked my arse off bush hogging some god plots and trails and my eyes never bothered me once. Riddle me that:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick

FNG
No inversion table recommendations? I’ve really been eyeballing one to stretch my spine out.

The inversion table (Teeter) was step one of my recovery. It helped to relieve the compression / extrusion which allowed me to start stretching. As others note it won't fix the problem but did provide a large amount of relief. Eventually I tried yoga and after a year or so I started saying my back problem was fixed. From first pain to fixed was a couple years so it wasn't a quick process. I know the problem will return if I get lazy and don't constantly stretch and strengthen my core. I'm about 8 years post "fixed".

jeff68

FNG
So I've had lower back issues in the past but have been seeing a chiropractor regularly and doing strengthening excercises for my back to reduce the chances of any issues while hunting.

I spent most of Monday and Tuesday doing maintenance on my truck and yesterday afternoon my lower back caught and went into major spasms. Immediatley went to the chiro and got on ice and ibupropen, but am sitting here now looking like the hunchback of ND trying to get it to let go. Meanwhile, the rear diff is drained and the cover is off, and I need to button things up from the belt change and still change oil and trans fluid. My plan was to leave this weekend but that is up in the air.

Does anyone have any tricks that might expedite the healing? Maybe a shot (whiskey included), stretch or something to move this along???

Cortisone shot? I've never had one but my Dad did. Helped him. I have lower back problems that will lay me up for a few days or more. Usually no rhyme or reason. Hasn't happened in a few years. A Chiro never did anything for it.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
I've been lucky for the last 10 months on my back. Never had a cortisone shot, but wouldn't be against it, if it would help. Have found that daily stretching keeps me pretty limber.

I will never go to chiropractor ever again, after a September backcountry hunt my body was sore and tired. My shoulder was hurting so I made an appointment with the chiropractor. She told me my back was out of alignment. After she adjusted me my leg started tingling. Long story short now I have sciatic nerve issues and a bulging disc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

260madman

WKR
Not all are created equal. We have one in town that does an excellent job with Nucca. Everybody swears by him and he helped my wife a lot. He knows when he can’t help anymore and a PT is needed. We call him the voodoo doc. One of the other chiropractors almost paralyzed a friend. He ended up at the Nucca doc and after the X-rays he was at the hospital 2 hours later getting lined up for surgery.

At 31 I've begun to notice less and less muscle is hanging on above my legs. Body mass tends to come in the form of fat if I just use my legs hiking or working on cardio. Lower back pain tends to come with lower muscle in my case.

I have done weight training in the past, but in the last 7 months I've put in weekly effort after an encounter with the PT for a bum knee. He really helped me understand that when muscles start to recede the body relies much more on the tendons and joints - that means wear and tear.

I started back with barbell training three times a week with eating at or above maintenance - that means flat or slight weight gain as the weight increases in my workouts. Main workouts are squats, standing press, and sumo deadlifts (I have a t-rex frame). Every week the weight goes up on the barbell. Accessory work includes hyperextensions, pull ups, standing curls, ham curls, and leg extensions. Cardio is either bike or stair master.

Back is feeling great and knee rarely bothers me after intentionally strengthening my legs. Hoping to carry the workouts up to hunting season and starting it back up in the winter months. Other added benefits of heavy barbell training include higher T, better functional strength (picking shit up and grip), and better ability to walk with a heavy load on my back. Cardio can be built in a matter of a couple weeks compared to strength (muscle mass) which takes months to build for older guys.

The only downside is I have to buy bigger pants.

dtrkyman

WKR
Problem with most folks backs is caused in the front

Core strength!!!

Also tight hamstrings are a back killer, stretching the psoas muscle really helped me.

Yoga is great, for temporary relief use some cbd oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

Kootenay Hunter

Mobility and stretching a huge part of it, I just never find the time to get it into my routine.

I've never heard anyone say that the stretch and do yoga regularly with no effect on back pain.

I have a bulged disc or two and a slack iliolumbar ligament and I've tried it all, and staying active and stretching when I can, plus knowing when to stop and rest a day or two helps. Once things flame up, nothing but time can really help.

I tired prolotherapy. The first time I got it the next day I was was crouching almost half the day doing work and felt the best I had in years. Unfortunately the following treatments had the opposite effect and I wish I stopped at one, probably over tightening my illiolumbar, now it's back to the same old.