Anyone here deal with back pain???

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
Broke my back years ago and I have problems when I do some heavy lifting or shoveling snow, but I dropped 50 lbs. and do some stretches and walking(2 hip replacements) and the soreness has lightened up a lot.
Good Luck with your back.

GCC79

FNG
I have a few herniated discs in my lower back. Stretching and the Chiropractor have really helped. The is not any pain but when my back tightens up, I can't stand up straight. It takes a few days to loosen up. Staying hydrated has reduced the flareups.

LMT66

FNG
With 2 lumbar back surgeries under my belt, my advice is stretch daily and gain and maintain core muscle strength.

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
Never had much use for a bone breaker but the stretching, walking and conditioning has done wonders for me.

brsnow

WKR
Was reading a Harvard medical article that said chiropractors are one of the top 3 causes of strokes in people under 50, a neighbor also had a stroke from adjustment around the same time, so I don’t go that route.

Mike 338

WKR
It may sound strange but often times, lower back issues are traced directly to foot problems. If the foundation is tweaked, the rest of the structure can crumble. Get rid of those shoes that are worn on the sides and get some proper orthotics that have you standing right. Give it about 6 weeks for your body to come back into alignment. You needed new shoes anyhow and orthotics aren't that expensive. What have you got to loose except all your pain and a little bit of cash.

chasewild

WKR
Squats and deadlifts.
Squats and deadlifts.
Squats and deadlifts.
Squats and deadlifts.

This is true AFTER you've developed enough core strength to do them right. I herniated L4L5 and L5S1 in 2016 and it took me 8 months to get to the point where I could do strengthening.

Now dealing with a different injury and I went straight to the heavy stuff and it cost me some time. Make sure you can walk before you run.

ace4

FNG
Ditch the chiropractor and look for a D.O. doctor of osteopathy who specializes in OMM or OMT. Chiropractors treat symptoms. D.O.s treat the root cause. I have scoliosis and went to a chiro for years which just was a band-aid. I finally went to a D.O. and my back problems are finally starting to go away. A good set of orthotics can be life changing too. I use a company called footlevelers and they are amazing. They have a 3rd type of arch support that most other orthotics done have. It is in the middle front part of your foot. It causes your foot to be in the position it would be outside a shoe. The best way to describe it is like a claw. I don't know why it works but it does. I hike and ski, and hunt and the first thing to stop me was my feet. Then the next morning it was my back. Now I'm finally being limited by my muscles instead of my joints.

alrick18

Lil-Rokslider
I went to a sports doctor in 2003 because of my reoccurring back pain, they did a MRI on my back. After looking at the findings, before I said a word to the doctor he told me that I was a runner and in the military, he said in 3 years I will be begging for help. Three years to the day, I herniated a disk in my lower back and I could not walk. The doctor told me that I needed a discectomy of my disk (l4, L5), he also said I could try other options (chiropractor, acupuncture, etc.) or whatever I wanted to try but none of it would work. I did the surgery in in mid 2006, the doctor said to get out of the military, if not I would be walking with a cane when I did. I got out of the military and the doctor set me up with a set of exercises for me to do, change of lifestyle and diet, no more rucking with over 125lbs. Today I have no back pains and I am not on meds. I am back to running, rucking and shooting at 63 years old. The key is to find a good doctor that understands your lifestyle and for you understand your limitations. My doctor gave a five year plan from my diet to exercises and load limits. You don't have anything to prove to anyone, do what you need to do manage you back pain.

Last edited:

Okhotnik

WKR
I went to a sports doctor in 2003 because of my reoccurring back pain, they did a MRI on my back. After looking at the findings, before I said a word to the doctor he told me that I was a runner and in the military, he said in 3 years I will be begging for help. Three years to the day, I herniated a disk in my lower back and I could not walk. The doctor told me that I needed a discectomy of my disk (l4, L5), he also said I could try other options (chiropractor, acupuncture, etc.) or whatever I wanted to try but none of it would work. I did the surgery in in mid 2006, the doctor said to get out of the military, if not I would be walking with a cane when I did. I got out of the military and the doctor set me up with a set of exercises for me to do, change of lifestyle and diet, no more rucking with over 125lbs. Today I have no back pains and I am not on meds. I am back to running, rucking and shooting at 63 years old. The key is to find a good doctor that understands your lifestyle and for you understand your limitations. My doctor gave a five year plan from my diet to exercises and load limits. You don't have anything to prove to anyone, do what you need to do manage you back pain.

Care to share your exercises?

alrick18

Lil-Rokslider
All of my workouts started with selected stretches that was specific to muscle groups. Stretches that were done in bed and out of bed, with support and no support. Modified push up, leg lifts, planks, sitting on the ball (core builder ball), walking with no load (eventually walking with a load). First year workout, no workout with aggressive motions with repetitious twisting motions. The big things was the gradual rate of workout and been careful not to aggravate or strain and pull anything in the lower back. I worked with the physical therapist on my workouts for about 90 days. Then off to Afghanistan working as a contractor, wore armor all day 4 -5 times a day plus weapons and 20 to 30 lbs. pack, and occasions 95 to 100 lbs. pack. I stuck to what my doctor told me to do and it worked out, I did that for 6 years. Depending on what your situation is your workout will need to be tailored for you.
After my surgery the doctor told me to take one day off, them walk as much as I could (no pack), the next day went out and walk 5 miles, with residual issues of pain.

alrick18

Lil-Rokslider
My case was unique in that I had no issues of arthritis, bone spurs, just the herniated disk, just none of the normal maladies of not taking care of my body. Case in point, for my PT test I could smoke must of the young guys in my section on any run. For my age, I had to 18 minutes to complete the run, with nothing to prove to anyone, I would do it 15 minutes. Don't let your pride and ego kill you.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
For me the back pain turned out to be ruptured L5/S1 discs and nerve issues from the rupture. Took surgery to repair it. But then I got back in the gym pretty quickly and rarely have pain anymore. Workout most days; weight lifting, body weight exercises and core strength. Weak core or unbalanced muscles and resulting imbalances in the weight distribution of walking can cause major pain. Exercise helps. A lot.

LMT66

FNG
I’m a big fan of monster and side shuffle walking and lower leg strengthening all with resistance bands. Do a couple sets of each and you may quickly see how weak some of those muscles are. Those along with the core group are the main ones that get you and a heavy pack uphill easier.

dtrkyman

WKR
Tight hamstrings and Psoas muscles tighten my lower back!

Also work on the transverse abdominous, it’s the major abdominal muscle behind the 6 pack everyone works on.

Of course make sure you don’t have any damage to the back itself first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
I used to be anti-chiropractor. I have since changed my mind. I still don't believe everybody needs them and they are a cure all.

However, from years of sports, horse riding, guiding, hunting, and just generally being very active and hard on my body I started having terrible back pain and neck pain. Wife finally convinced me to give the Chiropractor and try and come to find out I have level 2 bone decay in my neck and back. My neck was literally curving the wrong direction. ALONG WITH stretching and targeted workouts the chiropractor has helped me tremendously. So anybody that says fulls stop don't go to the chiro is giving you bad advice.

Maybe I am just lucky I have a very good chiro that set a program and we stuck to it. Once I was far enough along in the process of fixing my neck issue and my back and neck were moving how they should the only recommendation was to come in if I felt it was needed and to continue to work out.

Going to the chiro was the best decision I have made in a long time.

Wellsdw

WKR
I have something called flechia(sp)? Arthritis. Can mimic herniated disc as well as strains depending on severity. Heat, pednesone, Aleve and I’m good To go. I was going through relaxers like candy during flare ups until I was correctly diagnosed.