Anyone hunting with a 6gt?

Looking at building one after a recent discover of 1200 105Amaxs I hid from myself and forgot about.

Curious if there is any hunting reports with this cartridge and user experience.

Thanks
SC

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I built a 6 BRA to hunt with. So, I think you are on the right track. The GT will get velocity to kil and get benefit of the high bc. The case is designed for max efficiency/performance.

My buddy loves his 22gt

OP
sierracharlie338
I built a 6 BRA to hunt with. So, I think you are on the right track. The GT will get velocity to kil and get benefit of the high bc. The case is designed for max efficiency/performance.

My buddy loves his 22gt
Same thought process I had. Was hoping to hear from a few people on their experience in general with it.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Same thought process I had. Was hoping to hear from a few people on their experience in general with it.
Cool, didn’t know how far down the rabbit hole you went. I don’t know that there is a big crossover with the PRS guys and Rokslide to hear from.

I wanted to built a small backpack rifle in 6mm in my Howa Mini action, so the bra was the biggest.

amassi

WKR
Yes 3 mule deer (buck and 2 does) and 2 cow elk with the 109 eld-m. Worked great. From 175 yards to 550. The cow at 175 was very hard quartering to me, shot her square in the chest and everything was destroyed in her chest cavity. Even the liver had shrapnel damage.
The cow at 550 was cleaning up a rodeo, gut shot by another hunter with a 300 rum, first round she turned and was spraying blood everywhere out a second high shoulder to knock her down as she was eyeballing a hellacious canyon.

Unless you have kegs of varget or like headstamped “Gay Tiger” brass I’d do a 6cm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sierracharlie338
Yes 3 mule deer (buck and 2 does) and 2 cow elk with the 109 eld-m. Worked great. From 175 yards to 550. The cow at 175 was very hard quartering to me, shot her square in the chest and everything was destroyed in her chest cavity. Even the liver had shrapnel damage.
The cow at 550 was cleaning up a rodeo, gut shot by another hunter with a 300 rum, first round she turned and was spraying blood everywhere out a second high shoulder to knock her down as she was eyeballing a hellacious canyon.

Unless you have kegs of varget or like headstamped “Gay Tiger” brass I’d do a 6cm.

Good info thanks. I got plenty of Varget that isn’t getting used and 200 alpha brass before it was gay. . . . . Tiger….😂

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have shot a few cow elk with my 6 BRA and 108 ELDMs. You just have to know the limitations of the bullets you are shooting and go from there. I have never shot any animals with the amax bullets though.

gbflyer

WKR
I use a 6mm-223 or 6X45 as is a common referral to the cartridge with a 75 - 85gr soft nose. Works great. Can’t imagine why the GT wouldn’t be as good or better if you’re set up for it.

OP
sierracharlie338
I use a 6mm-223 or 6X45 as is a common referral to the cartridge with a 75 - 85gr soft nose. Works great. Can’t imagine why the GT wouldn’t be as good or better if you’re set up for it.
I came very close to building one of those but decided against it as I was already juggling 223/25-45/300 blk at the same time. Luckily no oopsies as of this time😰

gbflyer

WKR
I came very close to building one of those but decided against it as I was already juggling 223/25-45/300 blk at the same time. Luckily no oopsies as of this time

I really like the little cartridge. Doesn’t burn much powder, easy to source the parent brass, and not fussy about load development. I have 2 rifles that share the same data with no problems. There are much more potent 6mm’s available obviously but for me it’s perfect.

OP
sierracharlie338
I really like the little cartridge. Doesn’t burn much powder, easy to source the parent brass, and not fussy about load development. I have 2 rifles that share the same data with no problems. There are much more potent 6mm’s available obviously but for me it’s perfect.
That’s awesome

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I don't reload, but I considered getting a 6gt prefit and two cases of ammo and trying it out. Perhaps when shoot my 6cm barrel out.

For 6gt users, is there any noticeable difference in recoil between the gt and creedmoor (6mm obviously)?

OP
sierracharlie338
I don't reload, but I considered getting a 6gt prefit and two cases of ammo and trying it out. Perhaps when shoot my 6cm barrel out.

For 6gt users, is there any noticeable difference in recoil between the gt and creedmoor (6mm obviously)?
The CM uses a bit more powder so a slight difference in recoil would be expected but I guess it depends on how hard you are running it if you were handloading too

Jbuck

FNG
Cool, didn’t know how far down the rabbit hole you went. I don’t know that there is a big crossover with the PRS guys and Rokslide to hear from.

I wanted to built a small backpack rifle in 6mm in my Howa Mini action, so the bra was the biggest.
Sorry to go a little off topic, but who did the work on your howa? What was the original bolt face? What barrel and contour did you go with?

I have a howa grendel that I want to convert to 6br. I'm pretty invested in supplies for the 6br, but almost nothing for the grendel.

Thanks

amassi

WKR

None at all
But I can’t notice a difference between the 6cm, GT, 6x47, 243 or 6xc

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Reading what others reported, my observation is that there is something about short fat cartridges that makes them easier to load, more efficient, and more precise. From my 7 SS to my 6BRA, they burn less powder and get the same or very close velocity all other things being equal to a skinny longer cartridge. I burn about 10% less powder in my 7 SS than my old 7 Rem Mag, H1000 and 180 VLD, both proof barrels, and my 7SS gave me almost 100 fps more velocity and lower ES and SD. Both rifles shot small groups, but I had to do a little more load development for my 7 rem mag.

I think the 6 GT is efficient and easy to load for the same reason, it is shorter but doesn't give up a whole lot to the bigger 6 CM. Understanding case design has come a long way in the last couple decades.

I already have 6 cm and 6XC barrels and brass, and they are still easy to load for so I won't be getting a 6 GT any time soon. No sense for me to switch.

@Jbuck I started a new thread so as to not derail.