What 6mm for a trainer and a hunting rifle?

What did you end up going with @SDHNTR?

I'm looking at a 6GT just for fun/possibly get into PRS and think the .308BF is the easy button vs going with the 6ARC.

Also the new 80gr ELD-VT looks like an awesome match/varmint do all bullet out of either.

6 ARC in a Howa Mini bolt action for sure. Recoil is nothing and barrel life is long.

Interesting observation but the barrel doesnt really get hot with the 6 ARC. Even the 22" pencil barrel in my Howa Mini.

Lawnboi

WKR
Something different to think about, something I’m probably going to do.

6.5 creed and shoot 100 gn eld-vt.

6.5 creed barrel life
6 creed velocity
Decent BC

The ability to use it for nrl and hunting with a heavier bullet as well.

I was set on a 6 creed barrel but now with the eld-vt coming I’ll likely buy a 6.5 creed barrel for a little more versatility.

Something different to think about, something I’m probably going to do.

6.5 creed and shoot 100 gn eld-vt.

6.5 creed barrel life
6 creed velocity
Decent BC

The ability to use it for nrl and hunting with a heavier bullet as well.

I was set on a 6 creed barrel but now with the eld-vt coming I’ll likely buy a 6.5 creed barrel for a little more versatility.
I get that the eld-vt was designed as a varmint bullet, but how would it do on bigger game? Probably expands very rapidly, but would it get adequate penetration for deer? Hogs? Etc? Would it act more like a ballistic tip, a vld, an eldm, or what?

Lawnboi

WKR
I get that the eld-vt was designed as a varmint bullet, but how would it do on bigger game? Probably expands very rapidly, but would it get adequate penetration for deer? Hogs? Etc? Would it act more like a ballistic tip, a vld, an eldm, or what?
I don’t think I’d shoot it at bigger game. Hornady said it has like 8” of total penetration. I’d mainly use it as a training/varmint bullet.

For reference the reason I’m thinking this is after shooting some of the Hornady vmatch ammo, the 6.5 100 grain has little recoil, and is still is a 6mph rifle at my home environment.

Near 6mm ballistics with 6.5mm barrel life.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Large game like elk needs to be seen, however I have little reservation about deer/sheep/goats.

I don’t think I’d shoot it at bigger game. Hornady said it has like 8” of total penetration. I’d mainly use it as a training/varmint bullet.

For reference the reason I’m thinking this is after shooting some of the Hornady vmatch ammo, the 6.5 100 grain has little recoil, and is still is a 6mph rifle at my home environment.

Near 6mm ballistics with 6.5mm barrel life.

Oh man. That sounds fun in the 6.5x47 gamer gun for poppin prairie dogs... That and the 223.

TaperPin

WKR
It’s been a little odd that factory 1:10” 243 takeoff barrels are typically around $50, but November to February they were over $75. Now they have dropped again to $50ish.

For a trainer, that’s a barrel cost of only about $.03 per shot. No world records will be shot with these, but that’s pretty affordable.

Going to see it first hand next week. 6.5 creed is moving them 3150. Should be fun.

Iv got a bunch of 62s loaded in 223 as well that I have to use up.

Hmmm might have to try that 100 grain ELD-VT myself. Varget showing good velocity. I bet it would drop a Tennessee whitetail like a sack of potatoes.

IMG_0200.png

Taudisio

WKR
Kinda considering building a 6mm for a trainer and a hunting rifle. I want to shoot the piss out of it, so I want something easy to shoot, has inexpensive components, and doesn’t burn barrels (no 6 creed).

Thinking maybe 6GT. I know they are popular with PRS, and other shooting games (which I have zero interest in), but is there a reason why the round hasn’t caught on with hunters? Is there anything I’m missing? The specs look ideal. Talk me in or out? Is there something better suited I should be considering? Probably stuffed into a Bighorn Origin and some prefit.

Any other 6’s I need to consider? Dasher, XC, ARC? Pros and cons?
6x45. One pass through the resizing die and 5.56 brass is sized and de-capped. Contact your local LE for their brass. Offer them current recycling prices ($1.90 a pound). Some recycle it anyway to not show favoritism. It won’t get you the velocity of the others, but your barrel life will blow the others away.