Anyone Regret Building on a Medium Action?

SloppyJ

WKR
Every night for the past two weeks I've been wanting to start ordering for a new build. 18" 6mm is my goal. 243ai or 6creed more than likely. One night I'll be set on a Tikka the next I convince myself to build off an origin. Hell I already bought a DD wolfhunter for the imaginary gun I'm building.

I would like the extra length for future cartridge selection but would also like to get another bolt face in the future for a 6.5prc or something similar. I have a hard time paying 500+ for a tikka bolt.

I know you're limited on most parts like stocks and bottom metals but it looks like UM has a medium mag for standard and magnum cartridges or I can do a mid length wyatts with different followers.

Looking for thoughts from anyone who's built a medium action.

TaperPin

WKR
You’ll have a lot of fun with another bolt (or two or three) and a variety of barrels. Once you know what your barrel thread and dimensions are, barrels will unexpectantly fall out of the sky. It’s hard to pass up a custom barrel in good shape, even if it’s not a cartridge you were looking for. Lol

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
You’ll have a lot of fun with another bolt (or two or three) and a variety of barrels. Once you know what your barrel thread and dimensions are, barrels will unexpectantly fall out of the sky. It’s hard to pass up a custom barrel in good shape, even if it’s not a cartridge you were looking for. Lol

I have plenty to go around but only one a couple that are on actions that I can grab prefits for. There's definitely a benefit to that

Tikka action (or whole used donor rifle) and a spare bolt is about the same price as an entire origin and a different bolt face and you dont need to buy a trigger for the tikka. The Tikka would transition better between true short action rounds and rounds optimized in medium actions though IMO, depending on stock and bottom metal choice.

I'm pretty ignorant on the what actions play nice with the new baney boxes or UM short action mags that go beyond 3.00" but that might be a nice alternative to a medium action. I'm guessing an origin wouldn't work with that extended COAL without modification though?

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Tikka action (or whole used donor rifle) and a spare bolt is about the same price as an entire origin and a different bolt face and you dont need to buy a trigger for the tikka. The Tikka would transition better between true short action rounds and rounds optimized in medium actions though IMO, depending on stock and bottom metal choice.

I'm pretty ignorant on the what actions play nice with the new baney boxes or UM short action mags that go beyond 3.00" but that might be a nice alternative to a medium action. I'm guessing an origin wouldn't work with that extended COAL without modification though?
That's correct, you have to mill off some of the action to open a short action origin up to go any longer with an extended box.

The problem with the Tikka is that I'm building a left handed rifle and they're few and far between on the used market. However, I can pick up a new .243 with the 1:8 twist for $800. Send the barrel to get chopped, threaded, and rechambered to 243ai with additional throat for a few hundred more. Throw it in a stock and I'm good to go for a little over half price. But I'll probably flute the bolt and maybe the barrel too. It's cheaper for sure but finding left handed bolts is going to be a pain. Might just be another excuse down the road to build another one with a mag bolt face.