Anyone running a 300 WSM with a 22" barrel suppressed?

STAxel

Lil-Rokslider
Hey looking to work on a new build...is anyone running a 300 WSM with a 22" barrel and using a suppressor? What velocities are you getting with 180gr bullets (factory loads)? Is a 300 WSM at 22” still smoking a 30’06 at 24”?

How's the handling with the overall length? Bonus points if you have any feedback with the Thunderbeast Ultra 7 (gen2) with a .30 cal magnum with that 22" barrel length...And if you got pictures to show off I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
OP
S

STAxel

Lil-Rokslider
If you are willing to share anything openly, i would be interested as well. thinking about taking my 22in 300wsm down to 20 inches for a suppressor
How’s the performance on your current 22”? What sort of velocities are you getting?

bhylton

WKR
shooting 166gr hammer hunters now around 3050. probably leaving 50-70fps on the table due to short magazine/powder capacity issue. only 180 class bullets i have shot were 185gr berger classic hunters. i think they were in the 2950-3000 ballpark.
500yds and in there is no shot i would take with the 300 that i would not take with a 22in 30-06 if that makes sense.

B23

WKR
Not exactly same same but close enough and will provide some good reading for you.

OP- I’m pretty sure Colton Bagnoli (papwinkle on Instagram and the shooting editor for the western hunter) is in the middle of building a 20” suppressed 300 wsm at the moment if you want to stay tuned into his stuff. Shoot him a message on Instagram if you have it- he’ll respond pretty quickly

Something to consider… I shot my 7mm mag with a 26 barrel and 8” suppressor. After two shots I had faint ringing in one of my ears. Compared to shooting my 6.5 creedmoor suppressed, I can shoot that back to back to back to back etc without any ringing in my ears.

So if you’re concerned with the sound reducing ability of a can on a magnum rifle, you may want to reconsider going shorter because it gets louder the shorter the barrel is. Now of course a can on any length barrel greatly reduces the noise compared to no cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

archp625

WKR
I’m in the process of building a 20” 300 WSM. I have all the parts minus the stock. I emailed yesterday and I’m still 2 months out on it. I will be shooting 200+ grain bullets and a Omega can.

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
Also interested in this as well. Building one on a Defianice Anti XM and a 20” carbon 6 1:9.. make sure it’s throated long!

OP
S

STAxel

Lil-Rokslider
Is all this still even worth it with Factory Ammo? I don’t handload and I know on every other thread people bring up their load info. Am I screwed with this endeavor if I’m limited to factory ammo?

Something to consider… I shot my 7mm mag with a 26 barrel and 8” suppressor. After two shots I had faint ringing in one of my ears. Compared to shooting my 6.5 creedmoor suppressed, I can shoot that back to back to back to back etc without any ringing in my ears.

So if you’re concerned with the sound reducing ability of a can on a magnum rifle, you may want to reconsider going shorter because it gets louder the shorter the barrel is. Now of course a can on any length barrel greatly reduces the noise compared to no cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure what suppressor you have. But I shoot a 7mag 24" Barrel 7.5" form 1 suppressor and have zero ringing after several shots.
When shooting at game you really don't hear it at all. Where as when I just had a break on it it felt like being punched my Mike Tyson.

Last edited:
Interesting article. I know this is for a 7mag but still worth a read. I'm actually about to cut my 24" Barrel down to 20"

Sled

WKR
Is all this still even worth it with Factory Ammo? I don’t handload and I know on every other thread people bring up their load info. Am I screwed with this endeavor if I’m limited to factory ammo?

I load when needed but find factory ammo to be quite a bit better than it used to. About 3 years ago I ran factory ammo in several bolt guns with short barrels. Still pleased with the results but probably a bad time to quit reloading.