Suppressed 22 LR for 13 Month Old Daughter

treillw

WKR
My daughter is only 13 months old and I've been talking about getting her first gun for about 21 months. Seeing the Christensen Ranger repiqued my interest last night. With the rising prices of everything, specifically firearms, it might not be a bad idea to get one for her now and just store it away - it will probably cost double by the time she's able to use it.

The Christensen Ranger was pretty cool. I like how lightweight it was and it would be good training for running a bolt gun as she gets older. Would be fun to play with at longer ranges. Any suggestions on other cool options? Can you build something similar at a reasonable price point?

Just starting to look at this and have a few questions. I know some guys use them for long range training - got to read up on it more.
  • What accuracy can you expect from them?
    • How does this change with cheap ammo vs match?
    • Cost of match ammo?
  • What is "long range" for a 22?
  • Good, relatively inexpensive scope with tactical turrets to put on it?
  • Good 22 suppressor for it?
    • The TBAC one is interesting
    • I've been thinking of getting one for a little while - don't care about cost as much as quality for this. What are the best ones?
    • Lightweight is probably pretty important
    • How quiet is a suppressed 22?
      • Do you still need to wear ear pro?
        • I have cans for 5.56, 300 win, and 6.5 and still wear ear pro, even if it's "not required"
  • Any downfall to going with the shortest legal barrel? Don't want it too long for her with a can.
Working to answer some of these questions myself, but you guys always have good ideas that I haven't thought of.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Boltgun

FNG
22 subsonic suppressed is really quiet. Like Hollywood quiet. You’ll only need ear pro if you wear it dry firing.

Ballistics with subsonic are a turd, but it allows you to practice dialing and wind holds at close ranges, like 100 yards. Anything beyond 150 is really long range.

You can use much less expensive scopes for it, because if it fails it’s not a big deal like if a scope fails on a big hunt. The drawback is that if the dialing isn’t great (i.e. a .25MOA click is actually .22MOA) you’ll be frustrated.

Suppressed subsonic is a great way to get kids into shooting. It eliminates all the noise and blast.

Really wish I could get a suppressor for my tikka T1x. That would be another cool option. Could probably put it into a compact stock I would think..mine is topped with a swfa 6x and super fun to dial. Only taken it to 250 or so beyond 200 it gets pretty challenging

wesfromky

WKR
Check out some NRL22 to see what a .22 is capable of.

16" barrel is the way to go, esp if you are getting a can. You don't want/need the extra speed from a longer barrel.

Subsonic ammo runs probably .10 to .50 per round, most target shooters use subsonics vs sv/hv ammo.

I have a Dead Air mask that I really like (and another in jail so I don't have to swap it between hosts), but if I was buying today, it would probably be an otter creek titanium. Lighter and easier to clean vs the mask with the same, or maybe slightly better, suppression.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
You've got a lot of questions!

Any suggestions on other cool options? Can you build something similar at a reasonable price point? I'd recommend a T1X to your options based on how well ours shoots. It's a touch heavier than the CA Ranger. Savages also supposedly shoot amazing for the money.
  • What accuracy can you expect from them? See pics below for my results with cheap factory. YMMV. Try different ammos with any 22 to see what it likes. 22lr can be finicky, and once you find what it likes, buy as much of that same lot as you can.
    • How does this change with cheap ammo vs match? I can't say, I've never tried the good stuff
    • Cost of match ammo? 30 to 50 cents a shot for Elay Tenex / Lapua CenterX
  • What is "long range" for a 22? Anything over 150 yards is a pretty good statement from above. You are dialing the same amount that a 6.5creed needs at 600 yards. And it drops off really quickly after that.
  • Good, relatively inexpensive scope with tactical turrets to put on it? I got an Athlon Helos 2-12 and a 40moa rail. It is zeroed at 50 yards and we can dial 28MILs. So the max range is 520 yards, and you better believe we shot it that far the first chance we got (It grouped like 3 feet ha, but tracked true)
  • Good 22 suppressor for it? I use a cheap Mack Bros aluminum can and it works fine. I think anything will suppress 22lr enough. I don't own my own, but I would absolutely get a titanium can if you care more about quality. Something short to keep it lightweight.
    • I've been thinking of getting one for a little while - don't care about cost as much as quality for this. What are the best ones? Anything titanium. It will allow you to use harsher solvents when cleaning vs an aluminum can.
    • Lightweight is probably pretty important. Aluminum or titanium
    • How quiet is a suppressed 22? Subsonic is hollywood quiet. Supersonic has the crack that it sounds like you would wear earpro for. The suppressor makes it a lot quieter though.
      • Do you still need to wear ear pro? Not if it's subsonic.
        • I have cans for 5.56, 300 win, and 6.5 and still wear ear pro, even if it's "not required"
  • Any downfall to going with the shortest legal barrel? Don't want it too long for her with a can. After 11 inches you gain almost nothing velocity-wise. The link below is an awesome compilation of factory 22lr velocities from 2" barrels to 18". Absolutely no downfall to 16" except that they are relatively loud when unsuppressed.

Factory ammo results with the wife's 16" T1X. We bought one box of each cheap ammo option that Scheels had and shot groups with them all. The Blazer was a clear winner and we found it can shoot 1-1.5MOA at 100 yards (which is about as good as you can expect for cheap ammo and factory guns in my opinion). Then we went back to Scheels and bought every box of that same lot that they still had (2500ish rounds)
t1x groups.jpg

Last edited:
Another option is a CZ Scout. Comes with a single shot sled, but can upgrade to a 5 or 10 round mag. Learn the irons, bump up to a reddot, then to a scope for longer range play..... Paint it up to 'make it hers'. Scout compared to a savage rascal for size
IMG_E1604.JPG
IMG_1938_(2).JPG

I’m pretty happy with my Ruger 10/22. I bought it with a threaded 16” bull barrel, hogue stock and pic rail. I put a NF NXS 1-4x24, zeroed at 50yds. Pretty neat little package.

davidsapp

Lil-Rokslider
Savage Rascal threaded would be a great and cheap option. The Christian obviously a great rifle, along with the CZ and Tikkas mentioned. The Savage Rascal is light and also proportioned well, it’s what my kids learned on, but didn’t have the suppressor benefit until they were older, would have been even better with a can. I have a couple DA Masks and am really happy with them

Just laying back several cases of 22 ammo when it’s not during a shortage may be even more important, or at least buying a couple or three bulk boxes every time you’re at the local Walmart or similar

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
My daughter is only 13 months old and I've been talking about getting her first gun for about 21 months. Seeing the Christensen Ranger repiqued my interest last night. With the rising prices of everything, specifically firearms, it might not be a bad idea to get one for her now and just store it away - it will probably cost double by the time she's able to use it.

The Christensen Ranger was pretty cool. I like how lightweight it was and it would be good training for running a bolt gun as she gets older. Would be fun to play with at longer ranges. Any suggestions on other cool options? Can you build something similar at a reasonable price point?

Just starting to look at this and have a few questions. I know some guys use them for long range training - got to read up on it more.
  • What accuracy can you expect from them?
    • How does this change with cheap ammo vs match?
    • Cost of match ammo?
  • What is "long range" for a 22?
  • Good, relatively inexpensive scope with tactical turrets to put on it?
  • Good 22 suppressor for it?
    • I've been thinking of getting one for a little while - don't care about cost as much as quality for this. What are the best ones?
    • Lightweight is probably pretty important
    • How quiet is a suppressed 22?
      • Do you still need to wear ear pro?
  • Any downfall to going with the shortest legal barrel? Don't want it too long for her with a can.
Working to answer some of these questions myself, but you guys always have good ideas that I haven't thought of.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

If it’s actually for her, get a Savage Rascal, thread and suppress it, and put an easy to get behind scope on it. Having people (including kids) shoot rifles that they can’t completely control and manipulate themselves is not a recipe for fun or learning.

A Tikka T1x is a better rifle than the Ranger, for you and her when she gets big enough to handle it.

I would get the kid a kids gun, like a rascal or cricket. It will fit them better with length of pull etc. If you want that nice of a gun for yourself, then buy it for yourself and can hand down to them later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
Ruger rpr is pretty hard to beat for kids..

The stock adjusts short enough for my 6 year old to shoot it, long enough for me to use it.

Then I have them shooting a 6 creed for their deer hunting rifle in a full size rpr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kkp005

WKR
I bought my litte girl a savage rascal target xp. It’s already threaded and had a scope and rail.. I trashed the scope and put a Leupold 1.5-4 I had laying around. Dead air mask on the end and she loves shooting it

Attachments

• IMG_5890.jpeg
    IMG_5890.jpeg
    601.3 KB · Views: 58

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The t1x is a great choice. Mine is currently set up with an SWFA 6x on an area 419 rail with a pair of warne mountain tech rings I had sitting around.

It’s got the dead air mask 22 on it right now.

Attachments

• IMG_6395.jpeg
    IMG_6395.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 38

RussDXT

WKR
If it’s actually for her, get a Savage Rascal, thread and suppress it, and put an easy to get behind scope on it. Having people (including kids) shoot rifles that they can’t completely control and manipulate themselves is not a recipe for fun or learning.

A Tikka T1x is a better rifle than the Ranger, for you and her when she gets big enough to handle it.
expanding on this. I have an open sight rascal for my 6 year old. He does well with it but it’s not threaded or scoped.

He has shot my CZ 22 with an adjustable stock and XTR 3 scope well as well as a suppressed AR at distance.

Would you recommend the threaded savage? https://lockedloaded.com/product/sa...ng-rifle-lr-16.125-1-hardwood-black-stk-blued
Or modify and scope the rascal he has?

Also, any scope recommendations? Perhaps a 6x swfa?

I may use this as a reason to buy an additional .22 can. Thinking a tb as I already have a mask.

Thanks and happy new years!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Would you recommend the threaded savage? https://lockedloaded.com/product/sa...ng-rifle-lr-16.125-1-hardwood-black-stk-blued
Or modify and scope the rascal he has?

Also, any scope recommendations? Perhaps a 6x swfa?

I may use this as a reason to buy an additional .22 can. Thinking a tb as I already have a mask.

Thanks and happy new years!

I would thread what he’s got as it’s lighter. A 6x SWFA would be great for dialing and holding, if he isn’t doing that this is a god spot for a fixed 4x.

ShakeDown

WKR
A few years ago I picked up the CA with Cabelas gift cards for this exact reason. It’s a sweet rig! Shown below with a Banish 22.

28F07961-E415-4CFF-85C3-7F4F8785D2BE.jpeg
226D72CE-C1CB-43C3-BBF0-607A81763328.jpeg

RS3579

WKR
I bought my litte girl a savage rascal target xp. It’s already threaded and had a scope and rail.. I trashed the scope and put a Leupold 1.5-4 I had laying around. Dead air mask on the end and she loves shooting it
I like the Foam insulation idea. I’ll be doing that.