Anyone use Peleton or similar style bike?

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all question on workout bikes. Back in hs I dislocated my knee and tore basically everything but the artery so I don’t have much of a high gear anymore but also done have much issues with it. Earlier this week I was snowmobiling and when trying to get unstuck I twisted my knee in the snow and felt something pop and have been hobbling around all week with a kneecap that pops and moves with every step. Got into the doc and he said my knee joint was very loose and weak and need to get on a bike now if I want to avoid knee replacement surgery in the future. He recommended a proform specifically or anything of peleton style to make it more fun and likely to stick with it.

I’m looking at the proform studio pro 22 right now. Anyone have one of these or an ifit style bike and how they like it or any others I should look at?

We have a peloton and bought it during Covid when they were much more expensive. Don’t regret it a bit. My wife uses it 4-5 days a week and I’m on it regularly. I also really like the yoga, stretching and core classes.

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all question on workout bikes. Back in hs I dislocated my knee and tore basically everything but the artery so I don’t have much of a high gear anymore but also done have much issues with it. Earlier this week I was snowmobiling and when trying to get unstuck I twisted my knee in the snow and felt something pop and have been hobbling around all week with a kneecap that pops and moves with every step. Got into the doc and he said my knee joint was very loose and weak and need to get on a bike now if I want to avoid knee replacement surgery in the future. He recommended a proform specifically or anything of peleton style to make it more fun and likely to stick with it.

I’m looking at the proform studio pro 22 right now. Anyone have one of these or an ifit style bike and how they like it or any others I should look at?

I bought an echelon post a longgggg string of knee surgeries. I love it, I ride it 5 days a week. I love the saved classes, and I can crush some great cardio in 20-30 minutes. Do you have some sort of medical savings account? I was able to use mine with a note from my surgeon.

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
We bought one during Covid for my wife and I hopped on during rainy day or thanksgiving. I didn’t know what I was missing. Love it.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I bought an echelon post a longgggg string of knee surgeries. I love it, I ride it 5 days a week. I love the saved classes, and I can crush some great cardio in 20-30 minutes. Do you have some sort of medical savings account? I was able to use mine with a note from my surgeon.
I do the higher premium low deductible so no hsa unfortunately! How did you go about getting reimbursed by the insurance out of curiosity though?

We have a peleton and my wife really likes it. She uses the other peleton workouts as well. I liked it the one time I was on it but I’m just too dang lazy to use it regularly. 🤣 we also have a rowing machine, tread climber, and various weight benches and dumbbell sets.

Ucsdryder

WKR
We bought a knock off peleton. In the workout room we have a big tv. The wife has the peleton app on the big tv and watches those videos. The screen on her bike still tracks calories and distance. I think her bike was on sale for 200 bucks or something from Costco.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Bought this one during covid and it worked well for the 2 years we had it. My wife used it in conjunction with the peloton app on a tablet, which worked good enough at first.

After 2 years with that set up we bought a friends lightly used peloton. It’s better in every way and worth every penny. We both use it 3+ times a week. As others have said, peloton has a whole host of gym classes included including HIIT, Yoga, Stretching and Weights.

To anyone on this thread with the original pelaton, I just discovered this product that makes the screen swivel like the upgraded model, which is great for doing classes.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
One additional point, if you have Bluetooth headphones and a smart watch it makes the peloton experience even better as you get real time heart rate from the watch to guide your workout intensity and the music/coaching through headphones is much better.

We just did an upgrade on my wife’s bike. She didn’t want a peloton Or anything with an integrated screen.

if you dont want a built in screen then top of the heap seemed to be bowflex c6 or schwinn ic4. the bowflex was running deep discounts so we went that way. She uses it more, but I use it too. very smooth. Easy to adjust fit.

after trying a few options she ended up going with the peloton app and runs it through a smart tv. It actually has a load of various exercises. Not sure if I love the monthly costs but whatever.

We bought a Nordictrack treadmill and bike with IFit membership, then took advantage of all the extend the membership offers so we are up to 2026 so far.

I thought it was a gimmick as I would rather spend my time outdoors walking, hiking and riding, but, when it is -35c out, a bike ride in Costa Rica or Australia, a hike to base camp at Mt Everest or a walk in the Grand Canyon in the warm house is pretty cool!! Now we have added a rowing machine.....

And I am happy to say that none of the equipment has become a clothes hanger!!

Cheers

SS

Last edited:

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
I do the higher premium low deductible so no hsa unfortunately! How did you go about getting reimbursed by the insurance out of curiosity though?
I talked to my surgeon. He wrote me a letter. I contacted my insurance company and pushed hard on my surgeon on prescribing the bike. They asked for the letter and I sent it. Cha-Ching!

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
I talked to my surgeon. He wrote me a letter. I contacted my insurance company and pushed hard on my surgeon on prescribing the bike. They asked for the letter and I sent it. Cha-Ching!

Not to derail the thread but this is really clever and I wish it was more common. I may have to recommend this approach to others!

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I would consider buying a bike and a trainer. Get the bike fitted by a pro. Having the right fit is so much better on your knees, plus you will have a bike to ride outdoors.

MTtrout

WKR
We had a peloton for probably 4 years and really enjoyed it. I don’t know your pt regiment but I was always encouraged by the instructor and watching how I compared to everyone else that did the workout. Very motivating.

They have a high resale value too if you don’t like it

I'm on zwift a lot during the winter and the hottest part of the summers. Otherwise, I'm riding a bike in the wild the rest of the time. If you think you might ever ride in the real world-I'd buy a normal road/city/mountain bike and a zwift or kicker trainer. You might already have a bike that you can use on them. Peleton style bikes are nice, but you are locked into only using indoors and the real sale on them is pretty poor.

Just something to think about.

I kept aggravating my knee in colder weather.
Bought an Assault air bike from my gym during covid. It is more of a full body workout but you can just peddle away without using the “ arms” .
If I were buying one now I’d get the Rogue version as it has a belt drive,not a chain.

I find the peloton/ concept 2 bike erg tedious

100 calories for time is a humbling workout to beat my own time as I creep over 45 y/o

Beendare

WKR
Cycling is a great low impact cardio workout. I can get a great sweat in a short time, key is keeping the output up on higher resistance. I fluctuate between 180-250 and hitting as high as 450 for short stints but trying to maintain over 200.

I like being able to see my past avg and passing others in the class.…that gives me an incentive. It never fails I get on the bike thinking I’m just going to take it easy and end up getting a good workout.

It doesn’t replace hiking the hills with a pack on but its close.

I'll second that statement. I can't count how many times. I've gotten on zwift saying I'm pretty knackered, I'm going to go easy. Then get off and be beat up from trying to keep up with people out of my class.