Anyone using mecate reins?

82ndshawn

FNG
I was sitting here thinking about different tack and wondered how many folks are using a mecate setup? Seems like it would be handy for the backcountry by having a built in leadrope for use while riding. Obviously would still have to have a different setup for high lining, etc...

I use Mecate all the time. I love them in a rawhide hackamore or a snaffle set up. Super functional for me.

1623085214270.jpeg
This is my wife’s girl on her first day of hackamore work. She has maybe 10 rides under her in a halter.

Here’s my mother in laws you g boy in a snaffle set up with a nylon mecate.
1623085460638.jpeg

And here is my buddy in the two rein setup.
1623085695657.jpeg

I prefer a horsehair mecate for the feel the give me but they are expensive and can be rough on the hands until they break in a bit. That is where the yacht line , nylon ropes come in. It is especially aggravating when you have a mouthy baby wanting to get a hold of your 100 dollar horse hair mecate. 😂😳

Here’s my wife’s girl under saddle on her first day in the hackamore

1623086120485.jpeg

She did awesome and super chill. She’s gonna be a good one.

All that being said I don’t do any any back country stuff other than some trail rides. I’ll help move cows for my neighbors check calves some and play around with ranch horse stuff.

I ride with them sometimes but for hunting I recommend a halter under your headstall or at least pack one to tie up with. To easy to hurt a horse or tear up you headstall. YMMV
Sure, tying up you would have to take a halter. I was just thinking it would be mighty handy for quick stops, etc

I use a bosal hackamore exclusively on my horses. I always have a halter on underneath. I find it just as quick to slip my leather thong holding the lead off the saddle horn and tie witht the halter lead alyways so I dont come back to broken gear, or not haveing a horse where I left him. For the Mecate, for hunting I use the flat tube braided sailing rope as shown in the second picture.

Attachments

• P1000769 (2).JPG
    P1000769 (2).JPG
    517.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 103_3333.JPG
    103_3333.JPG
    535.8 KB · Views: 46
Just for anyone worried about tying their horse be a mecate rein setup. I've done something similar to it occasionally but not for any real long time . I like this way better it seems easier than how I've done it before.

I started with rommel reins but spent 30 years trying to find another pair. Found a handmade set at the Mt State prison store for $150.

I too use a halter under the bridle and my own homemade lead ropes. I want my ponies where I leave them when I get back. I outfit all my reins with brass snaps so I can easily disconnect them when I leave so they can't tear things up.

I will preface this by saying I don’t think there is a “wrong” way, but in the back country, in lots of snag areas and sketchy trails, there’s lots of scenarios where you can rip a snaffle through a horses mouth or stumble and catch a leg through a McCarty. You can just as easily lead with a set of split reins and have the ability to drop them loose if you get in a bind.

I prefer a rope type rein in a roper or mecate style setup over split reins as i tend to lead my animals a lot downhill or on a ridge line and have had split reins fall off get stepped on and broke too many times. Typically for me, the hackamore is more of a training tool as opposed to a handy way to get off and lead in the mountains and i wouldn't ever tie an animal by it. Rope halters and lead ropes without any snaps for me.

Split reins 99% of the time. But 1% of the time I want to feel cool, so its a hackamore. And I do feel cool.
Feeling cool is important. I've heard you will feel even cooler if your wear chinks, a flat hat, and ride a saddle with a Wade tree and buck rolls.

That's what I've heard.

Feeling cool is important. I've heard you will feel even cooler if your wear chinks, a flat hat, and ride a saddle with a Wade tree and buck rolls.

That's what I've heard.
This is the way.

I mentioned flat hat but I forgot to add stampede string. Cool goes to the next level when you have a stampede string.

What about a 100’ rope even though you’ve never actually swung a rope? And some 4 inch spur rowel with the jingle bobs attached to them. Man that’d be cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back