Appalachian mountain black bear hunting advice

ClydeM

FNG
So this year i’m venturing into hunting black bear in the north Georgia mountains(public land, baiting not allowed, dogs not an allowed).

Most of the black bear hunting advice/tips/information out there applies to bear hunting out west. Anyone have advice/tips for hunting black bear in this area.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the same exact boat. A fella on here recommended that I go check out the GON forums (Georgia Outdoor News) for some good advice and tips specific to north GA. From what I can tell, its kinda tough to find a lot of good info online. I would just try to find a connection with someone who is experienced in hunting black bears in Appalachia if possible. Everyone online seems to say the same basic stuff: find the acorns, find very fresh sign, listen for lapping, etc. But yeah, I am planning the exact same adventure this fall for my first time (even though I have lived in GA all my life). I wish you luck!

It’s a big boat I guess. I’m in it too. I wonder sometimes if the cost of an outfitter could be justified to help with the learning curve. Maybe this site has info, http://www.bear-hunting.com/. Before Newcomb joined Meateater he had Bear Hunting Magazine. Arkansas guy so potentially some tactics that would help in Georgia. He is a bait and dog guy so not sure what his site has on it Outside of those methods.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Before Newcomb joined Meateater he had Bear Hunting Magazine.

Yeah, Newcomb has an old podcast that’s still on Spotify through Bear Hunting Magazine (Bear Hunting Magazine Podcast, who would guess it) and it seems to have lots of great knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

ClydeM

FNG
I am in the same exact boat. A fella on here recommended that I go check out the GON forums (Georgia Outdoor News) for some good advice and tips specific to north GA. From what I can tell, its kinda tough to find a lot of good info online. I would just try to find a connection with someone who is experienced in hunting black bears in Appalachia if possible. Everyone online seems to say the same basic stuff: find the acorns, find very fresh sign, listen for lapping, etc. But yeah, I am planning the exact same adventure this fall for my first time (even though I have lived in GA all my life). I wish you luck!
I kind of did a little bear hunting last year, but it was on a whim(partially because I had just got a new job that’s about 30 min from Cohutta and the National forest) right as season was starting(so i didn’t get any scouting in). I’m more focused on it this year, been getting the right gear, physical shape and started scouting recently

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I kind of did a little bear hunting last year, but it was on a whim(partially because I had just got a new job that’s about 30 min from Cohutta and the National forest) right as season was starting(so i didn’t get any scouting in). I’m more focused on it this year, been getting the right gear, physical shape and started scouting recently

Sweet, that’s exciting! Since I’m still in school, I’ve got some extra time on my hands so I am going to scout as much as possible and plan to hunt just about every chance I get from opening day in September to Mid-October. I usually go back home to South Ga to deer hunt in that time frame, but I have given up on that with all the gnats, mosquitos, and just plain blazing hot weather down there. It’ll be cool to try something new. Quick question for you: are you worried about snakes when you go hiking around up there?

OP
C

ClydeM

FNG
Sweet, that’s exciting! Since I’m still in school, I’ve got some extra time on my hands so I am going to scout as much as possible and plan to hunt just about every chance I get from opening day in September to Mid-October. I usually go back home to South Ga to deer hunt in that time frame, but I have given up on that with all the gnats, mosquitos, and just plain blazing hot weather down there. It’ll be cool to try something new. Quick question for you: are you worried about snakes when you go hiking around up there?

Yes and no. It depends on where you are. If I’m walking on used trail(or humans or animals) I’m not too worried. However, I was out at a different North GA WMA a few weeks ago and ran across a copperhead while walking around off a trail doing some scouting. It didn’t catch me too off guard, as it was laying underneath/against a downed tree that i was crossing(and I know to look for snakes around downed trees. I’ve never come across one, but i know some guys that have come a rattle snakes. The thought thing is that the area is too rough for snake boots(trust me, i tried). So you just have to be careful and keep your eyes open. If i am in an area with a lot of leaves, sticks or downed trees(or ever have to pick something up) i’ll use my trekking poles to disturb the area first

Wks41

FNG
It’s tough hunting. You gotta put miles on your boots and find the acorns.

Carr5vols

WKR
Find white oak acorns and find the bears...they will be up in the tree eating them like squirrels. Lots of bears in north georgia they are lazy and like ridge tops.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot several bears in the mountains of North Georgia. It can be difficult. Find their food and look for their sign. I normally just cruise along slowly and look for signs of fresh feeding. Overturned rocks, freshly torn up dirt, etc. Go slow, stay quiet, and keep the wind in your face and you’ll likely be able to get pretty close to a feeding bear. I talked to one of the biologists with GADNR last fall and he showed me his most recent population survey data…there’s a lot of bear in them hills.

The previous post about being lazy is correct. Most of the bears I’ve shot in GA have been on or very near ridges and old hiking trails. That being said, there’s a lot of old hiking trails so wear comfy boots.

I will also be heading there in September for the first time. We will be staying in Fannin county. Looking forward to it.

Kwa_bena

FNG
So this year i’m venturing into hunting black bear in the north Georgia mountains(public land, baiting not allowed, dogs not an allowed).

Most of the black bear hunting advice/tips/information out there applies to bear hunting out west. Anyone have advice/tips for hunting black bear in this area.

I always thought that you could use dogs. Never been bear hunting yet.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I always thought that you could use dogs. Never been bear hunting yet.
You can use dogs in the southern bear zone but I don’t think you can in the northern zone. You also cannot use dogs or bait in the wilderness areas in Georgia

Jbogg

FNG
You can use dogs in the southern bear zone but I don’t think you can in the northern zone. You also cannot use dogs or bait in the wilderness areas in Georgia
Actually, the DNR opened a bear/dog hunt in the northern zone around four years ago on two of our mountain WMAs. There are areas within each of these WMA’s’s that fall within the wilderness areas and dog hunting is allowed in those areas as well.

The rule of thumb saying find the acorns and find the bears is generally true, but this year it looks like an acorn bonanza. Finding acorns will not be an issue. You will just need to keep burning boot leather until you find where the bears are feeding. Keep in mind bears have an inefficient digestive system. The length of their intestines is relatively short, which means they require a lot of water during hyperphagia to help digest all the food they are taking in. I like to look for feed trees within a quarter-mile of a water source with good cover nearby.

Bear hunting in the Appalachian mtns without dogs or bait is tough.

I spent a lot of time hunting in the mountains of Western NC and finding a bear while still hunting is tough. There are very few areas where you can glass. Identifying food sources is important, but if you have a bumper mast crop then it’s moot point. You could attempt to locate travel routes from public to private land food sources and stage up on those areas.

All in all, still hunting for black bear in the Appalachian mountains is a tough task. I tried hard for several years and never killed one and only had a couple chances. I would venture to say the majority of bears killed up in the mountains without the use of dogs are opportunistic kills while deer hunting.

Jbogg

FNG

I spent a lot of time hunting in the mountains of Western NC and finding a bear while still hunting is tough. There are very few areas where you can glass. Identifying food sources is important, but if you have a bumper mast crop then it’s moot point. You could attempt to locate travel routes from public to private land food sources and stage up on those areas.

All in all, still hunting for black bear in the Appalachian mountains is a tough task. I tried hard for several years and never killed one and only had a couple chances. I would venture to say the majority of bears killed up in the mountains without the use of dogs are opportunistic kills while deer hunting.
in north Georgia we have a bear density of somewhere between 3 to 5 bears per every thousand acres. And every one of those acres is covered with thick mountain laurel, Rhododendrum, huckleberries… Thick as dogs fur. If someone is used to sitting on a knob and glassing for hours, then good luck. With all the acorns it looks like we will have this fall it’s likely to be tough sledding. The Bears won’t have to venture out of the mountain laurel thickets to find food. It will likely take most folks a lot of walking this year to find one, but when it all comes together it’s oh so rewarding.

Yep here in TN some parts can use dogs. My area is bow only and no baiting. Went a few times last year I just can't figure them out. But I'll keep trying

Totally agree without dogs to Bay the bear up its damn hard!!