Hunting bears with a portable treestand in North Idaho? (Spring 2024)

samuela

FNG
Hey Roksliders, I'm in North Idaho and want to get into black bear hunting this spring. I'm curious about adapting whitetail tactics for hunting bears in thick country. Have any of you tried hunting black bears with a portable tree stand or saddle? I'm wondering if either of the following tactics could work.

1. Scout and hike until you find fresh sign, climb a tree and use a predator call. (I'd rather not call from the ground in grizzly country, seems risky)

2. Post up on a terrain feature with fresh sign and wait

I'd love to hear your thoughts. I understand black bear aren't patternable the way whitetail are. I don't have hounds and probably won't get into baiting this year.

I hunted N. Idaho twice last year and didn’t really see anything tree wise that would really work with a treestand. The pine trees up there seemed branch heavy and would make it a futile attempt. I am also not tree stand savvy so take that for what it’s worth.

OP
samuela

samuela

FNG
I hunted N. Idaho twice last year and didn’t really see anything tree wise that would really work with a treestand. The pine trees up there seemed branch heavy and would make it a futile attempt. I am also not tree stand savvy so take that for what it’s worth.
That's a good point. It could be tough to find a suitable tree.

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
Wya in N. Idaho? I hunted bear by dearly last year. 7 plus bears on bait. hunted elevated from my bait but still on the ground. Haven’t heard of anyone calling one in.

OP
samuela

samuela

FNG
Wya in N. Idaho? I hunted bear by dearly last year. 7 plus bears on bait. hunted elevated from my bait but still on the ground. Haven’t heard of anyone calling one in.
7+ bears, that's good stuff.

I'm in Post Falls. I'm looking into the reduced price units in particular because I want to hunt with my dad who's a non-resident. Otherwise I think I'd go hunt further north.

psirus7

WKR
Well, I appreciate the data point!
I honestly have had trouble staying concealed at hunting height. Trees that have been easy to climb rapidly rarely provide the best cover in N Idaho. Presets might be a better plan, but I'm going to hunt out of a ground blind exclusively this year.

OP
samuela

samuela

FNG
I honestly have had trouble staying concealed at hunting height. Trees that have been easy to climb rapidly rarely provide the best cover in N Idaho. Presets might be a better plan, but I'm going to hunt out of a ground blind exclusively this year.
Yeah, I could see that.

I may be *barking up the wrong tree* here 😁. I probably need to focus on finding fresh sign in the first place. Climbing a tree might just be extra work.

I don’t think you’ll have much luck without a bait set up honestly. I have never once just had a bear cruise by me by happenstance in all my years of hunting around here.

I’ve hunted from a stand and from behind a natural ground blind, and I think the ground is the way to go. I’ve killed 2 from the ground and zero from the tree. I’m with the others in that tree stands can kind of have the opposite effect around here, where they pull you up and out of cover sometimes. Plus, they’re a PIA to haul in and out. I just found a spot where the wind has a habit of blowing towards me in the evening. This year, I’d like to double down and use a leafy suit too.

EDIT: I’m not sure if you’re talking gun or bowhunting, but I’m always thinking bowhunting. If you’re using a gun; then 100% from the ground. Set up like 50-75 yards downwind and have at it. Hell, you could even pull out some snacks and a book.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
I've bear hunted in unit 1 quite a lot, still haven't' shot one though. The only bear Ive ran into is a grizzly, and I didn't have to shoot it fortunately. If you find bear sign near old logging activity you'd probably find some good trees for a stand, but other than that ya might have a hard time of it. I don't use bait and don't use dogs so I just cover miles in the mountains and hope for the best honestly. Makes for some good time spent outdoors but not much in the way of dead bears ha ha!