Appalachian mountain black bear hunting advice

Im in WNC and bump into a bear once or twice every year deer hunting. that said we had a group deer camp two years ago and some boys got into a spot and had a bear feeding frenzy going on around them they counted 20 something bears in an afternoon sit.
Here in NC they have permit hunts now on some of the bear sanctuaries, some allow dog hunting some dont.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the same exact boat. A fella on here recommended that I go check out the GON forums (Georgia Outdoor News) for some good advice and tips specific to north GA. From what I can tell, its kinda tough to find a lot of good info online. I would just try to find a connection with someone who is experienced in hunting black bears in Appalachia if possible. Everyone online seems to say the same basic stuff: find the acorns, find very fresh sign, listen for lapping, etc. But yeah, I am planning the exact same adventure this fall for my first time (even though I have lived in GA all my life). I wish you luck!
This is what you have to do. There’s not some esoteric knowledge one has to obtain, local knowledge sometimes yes, but hidden knowledge no.

Meaning, it speeds up the process if you know where stands of hard mast and soft mast trees are before season. They don’t produce the same every year, and bear might be on one ridge this year, and another ridge next year because of the mast crop.

But w that said, you gotta find out what and where they’re eating each and every year. You just gotta get boots on the ground. Again, it’s not magical.

Sometimes you find them, sometimes you don’t, it’s low percentage hunting. Really have to be good with that, or unreasonable expectations will take away the joy